Baby formula on planes advice please!

bfc2406

Earning My Ears
Hi there
We are travelling from the UK this March and going via Philadelphia to MCO. We know we are unable to bring ready formula through at Phil and we only have a very short time window to our connecting flight. At the moment we are not totally sure what to do. We will order formula at Manchester on our departure but not entirely sure what we can do at the Phil stop to get baby milk for our little boy. Any advice on how to work this is much appreciated.
Thank you!

Hi there
We are travelling from the UK this March and going via Philadelphia to MCO. We know we are unable to bring ready formula through at Phil and we only have a very short time window to our connecting flight. At the moment we are not totally sure what to do. We will order formula at Manchester on our departure but not entirely sure what we can do at the Phil stop to get baby milk for our little boy. Any advice on how to work this is much appreciated.
Thank you!

Can you use powdered formula? Keep it in your carry on. After security, they sell bottled water that can be brought on the plane and should eliminate the "no liquid" issue. It should only take seconds to grab a bottle of water or two.

Good luck and have a great vacation.

mm1971 said:
Can you use powdered formula? Keep it in your carry on. After security, they sell bottled water that can be brought on the plane and should eliminate the "no liquid" issue. It should only take seconds to grab a bottle of water or two.

Good luck and have a great vacation.

Yes powdered is fine. Are we able to take the powder through security without issue?
Thanks for your response.

Yes powdered is fine. Are we able to take the powder through security without issue?
Thanks for your response.

Yes, just leave it in the original container sealed, if possible. It may take more time if it is not sealed, but we have travelled with friends that had no issues bringing it through security.

mm1971 said:
Yes, just leave it in the original container sealed, if possible. It may take more time if it is not sealed, but we have travelled with friends that had no issues bringing it through security.

Your a star! Thanks for the advice.

I am fairly sure you can get bottled water from the flight attandant if you dont have time to purchase it. either way I don't think it will be a problem if you have the powered formula. We just did the same thing in for our trip in December. :thumbsup2

Most airlines have hot water available on board the aircraft, though you'll want to let it cool. There's no issue with powder formula, it's not a liquid or a gel. Since the baby is traveling with you, even the liquid formula is allowed thru security.

Powdered will be ok although they may swab the container for explosive residue, keep it in the original container. Premixed formula is also allowed over the liquid restriction; although I would keep the bottle sealed and only open it past security. I will also help to declare these items when going through security.

When we took formula for DD, I actually had it in one of those divided formula containers. I told security we had it, took it out of our carry on to show them and had no problems. I even had bottled water (it was sealed, but I forgot to toss it) security said "if it's for the baby, no problem" I thought that was pushing the limits since you can buy bottled water throughout the airport after security, but they told me as long as you declare items for the baby they can be inspected and allowed through.

Yep, you can bring any liquid that is for a baby through security. This includes formula, breast milk, juice, and baby food. Just put it in a separate ziploc bag and tell the person working the scanner that it's food for your baby, and you'll have no problems. There is no limit to the amount of liquid you can bring for your child, although the TSA recommends to only bring the amount that you need while traveling, to avoid delays. :)

We never had a problem either bringing powdered formula or liquid in bottles for the baby. We just told airport security we had it and that's all that was necessary.

When traveling with my babies, We would by the ready formula in the 2 oz. bottles sealed. I would carry 4 in a ziploc and DH would carry 4 in a ziploc. Never had a problem with security. We would take the ziploc out of our bag though to go through security. They usually don't hassle you and since the formula was less than 3oz per container, it was OK under TSA.

We not only had no problem bringing a full bottle for the baby through security, we were allowed an unopened bottle of water I accidently left in my purse since the TSA agent deemed it was "for the kids, right?"

I have flown quite a few times with infants, and PHL is our home airport. I always use those divided powder formula containers and I have the water already measured out in the bottles. I do not even bother declaring the formula/water or anything like that. I have never been stopped (at any domestic airport), searched, swabbed, checked or even asked about it.

The only way I would think there would be an issue is if you wouldn't have the baby actually with you (say another family member took the baby through security at a different time).

fitgirl36 said:
When we took formula for DD, I actually had it in one of those divided formula containers. I told security we had it, took it out of our carry on to show them and had no problems. I even had bottled water (it was sealed, but I forgot to toss it) security said "if it's for the baby, no problem" I thought that was pushing the limits since you can buy bottled water throughout the airport after security, but they told me as long as you declare items for the baby they can be inspected and allowed through.

TSA has said formula, juice, and other liquids for babies and small children are okay. I've actually forgotten my toddler's sippie in a backpack, TSA pulled it out, asked if it was for my son, and sent it on through. I've never transported formula as my boys were breastfed, but I've never had a problem with sippies. YMMV, of course, with uneven enforcement of TSA guidelines, but you should be just fine with formula in a bottle.

Once my kids were on formula, I would buy a bottle of water at a shop after going through security. Since I always used room temperature water at home, I would ask them to grab a bottle from the back that wasn't refrigerated so I didn't have to heat it.

You can bring liquids through for the baby. I fill 3 bottles with the appropriate amount of water and put them in a gallon ziplock bag. Just hand it to security, and they will test it. Powder does not have to be checked by security or handled separately from the rest of the things in the bag.

Liquid formula is allowed through security and doesn't need to be sealed because you will likely use some on the first leg of your flight. Again they will just do an extra swab check on it. Just be sure to hand it to security.

Don't worry! I'd just bring what you normally use for the baby and a little extra in case of delays. Clear gallon ziplock bags help in easily handing things to security from your bag, and keep spills contained while you travel.

Also, don't forget to put your baby's creams/meds in a quart ziplock to take out separate for scanning! I would always bring fever medicine, thermometer, diaper rash cream, etc. because if you do need those items on your trip, it's likely to be the middle of the night and a hassle to get to the store with a fussy baby.

Now if only they still allowed you to keep infants in the Bjorn, security would not be half so bad!

Yep, you can bring any liquid that is for a baby through security. This includes formula, breast milk, juice, and baby food. Just put it in a separate ziploc bag and tell the person working the scanner that it's food for your baby, and you'll have no problems. There is no limit to the amount of liquid you can bring for your child, although the TSA recommends to only bring the amount that you need while traveling, to avoid delays. :)

This. You should be fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter