• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Baby Centers and Bottle Feeding

pikaboo27

<font color=teal>I knew I could count on you!<br><
So, DH and I had heard so many wonderful things about the baby centers at DL here on the boards and were so excited when we took our 2.5 month old. We went to the baby center on main street when DS needed a diaper change and a bottle. The changing went great, and the ladies there were really helpful but when it came to feeding...not so much.

I had heard that there were great rocking chairs to use, but while I was cleaning up from the diaper change, DH took DS and asked where he could feed him and he was pointed to one of those little old fashioned chairs in the entrance hall. When I asked why we couldn't have a rocking chair, I was told that it was for breastfeeding mothers. Huh? I was shocked. I mean, I totally respect mothers who breast feed and I imagine that it would be nice to have a private place to breastfeed, but for a variety of reasons, we bottle feed and it seemed so odd to feel somewhat discriminated against because I was giving my son a bottle. I don't know if they meant my husband couldn't feed him in one of the rocking chairs in order to give the mothers who were breastfeeding some privacy, but they could have offered to let me do it. And still that bothered me, because why shouldn't a single dad be able to feed his child in a comfy rocking chair in an air conditioned room.

Has anyone else experienced this at the baby center? Should I have said something at town hall? Just wondering if this is the way things work or if I misunderstood.

Thanks!

Actually, I was told the same thing when I went to the baby center when bottle feeding my then 9m old. I weened just before our trip for a variety of reasons.
The funny part was there was absolutely nobody in there. I too felt shunned. It sucked that a bottle fed baby gets less privacy.

This is nuts! I had a friend post on FB last year very upset about this happening to her too. We all came to the conclusion that the CM was just a jerk or having a bad day, this couldn't be policy but it sounds like it really is??
Not being able to have the "good seats" because of the way you have to or choose to feed your child is NOT COOL. I was unable to BF my first for a variety of reasons and this would have upset me to no end.
What if it was reversed and only formula/bottle feeders could sit in the rocking chairs and BFs had to sit in different chairs? That would last an entire 2 seconds.
I say, sit where you want to sit! Are they going to drag you out of the chair while you feed your child for real?
Hopefully this won't turn into a BF vs Formula debate! Happens a lot of the internets, but one thing for sure we should all support eachother as parents!

That's awful! I am a mother of 5, breastfed 4 until about 12 months and the littlest at 8 months is still BF. A question though...something I've thought about as we are set to be there soon, is BF discouraged throughout the park...meaning, are they hoping by making the Baby Center a place for BF only are they hoping mothers won't BF in public? Obviously as a mother of 5 I am used to feeding where ever (and when ever), mostly people wouldn't even know that I'm BF. I have no problem going to the Baby Center to BF if necessary and I have no problem with a mom or dad (or aunt/uncle/grandparent etc.) bottle feeding in the chair beside me!

I'm planning on feeding my baby wherever when I'm there. She's 13 months so she doesn't need to breastfeed all the time anymore but she does like a little nursing session during the day. And since we're going to be there next week, I know it's going to be hot and I don't want her getting dehydrated so if she wants to nurse, I'm going to do it whether I'm at a Baby Center or not. I'm not walking all the way back to it for a 10 minute nursing session.

I bottle fed my babies and I would have sat in those chairs if I wanted to feed in there. I bottle fed on benches lots, so didn't mind, but if I had wanted to use the chair, I would have.

Probably going to get slammed for this, but I would appreciate it if BF mother's would not do it in public. We don't need to see that and neither do my children. Certainly if they do find the need to do it in public, cover with a blanket and please never do it at a restaurant. Just my opinion and I do realize it's not a favorable one.

I understand not letting your husband back there, but not you. That makes no sense. I agree, they should have comfy chairs for everyone! I loved going in there for feedings and diaper changes just for the AC, but I ended up just feeding him wherever I was comfortable. I usually covered up (except in the Disney Jr show... they wouldn't let me leave and reenter to get my cover, so we sat in the very back on the bench and nursed.)

jilld11, Little kids see far worse in the park as far as ****s go. Some girls are showing off way more cleavage than you see with a nursing baby. I will not nurse my baby in the restaurant if you don't eat your meal in there either, okay? Same with throughout the parks- I won't feed him on benches or whatever if you'll take all your snacks and meals and go hide too. Using blankets to cover usually bring far more attention to it than not. Most people can't even tell you're nursing, just looks like you're holding a baby.

I'm sorry but w/toddlers it does not look like you are just holding a baby. Also, I don't like bf in general and realize that is my thing, but I also don't need my kids to see it. Certainly not w/ a toddler or walking child. Again, I wont' post again because I dont' want to argue, but that is JMO and hopefully everyone can respect others wishes, although I highly doubt many will agree with me:)

One thing though. If you understand why your husband can't go back there, why would one be allowed to do it in public for all to see, not just one baby's daddy???

I am a former breastfeeding mom and breastfeeding proponent.

I can understand why a father might be asked not to sit in the rocking chair area, but I see no reason that a bottle feeding mom should be excluded. I didn't take my children to DL when they were breastfeeding, but I likely would not have used the rocking chairs anyway. I was able to breastfeed anywhere and everywhere and most had no idea what I was doing. Going to the baby center would likely not have been convenient for me when my child was hungry. I feel a breastfed baby should be able to be fed anywhere a bottle fed baby can be fed and the opposite is true as well. If you don't like seeing a breastfed baby eat - don't look. Often time the ONLY private place available is a bathroom and I would NEVER feed my child in the bathroom. It is ludicrous to tell a breastfed child that he/she cannot eat in a restaurant when everyone else is doing just that.

One thing though. If you understand why your husband can't go back there, why would one be allowed to do it in public for all to see, not just one baby's daddy???

Because back there in the quiet, covered room- you aren't making huge efforts to try to be discreet as you would in public. Regardless of what you believe- most nursing mothers who nurse in public do their best to be discreet and not draw attention. I've never met a person who whips it out and then digs around in their purse, then reads facebook, applies make up, and then attaches the baby. Or yells, "HEY EVERYONE! I'M NURSING MY BABY OVER HERE!"

I don't like q-tips, but I don't discriminate against those who do. My son walked at 9 months, so because he was a walking child, I should have weaned him?

OK. I was nice, but telling my my opinion is ludicrous is not being polite. I think bfeeding your baby in public is ludicrous, but did not attack other's opinions, just asked that people respect everyone's.

OK. I was nice, but telling my my opinion is ludicrous is not being polite. I think bfeeding your baby in public is ludicrous, but did not attack other's opinions, just asked that people respect everyone's.

Ahhh, but asking someone to not breastfeed in public is against the law in the state of California. Meaning that anywhere I can lawfully be, I can lawfully BF and no one can ask me to refrain.

The reason for understanding dads be asked not to enter the private BFing area is that it gives the BFing moms that are looking for privacy a place where they can BF comfortably. I BF all 4 of my kids in public.

I think that this country forgetting what breasts are actually for is ludicrous!:rotfl:
"We don't need to see that and neither do my children"-I'm not sure if that is nice. Kind of implying it is gross or something, which one might take take offense to and I'm sure you could understand that. Sometimes the tone is lost on a message board of course and I'm sure you didn't intend to ruffle any feathers. You just wanted to let everyone know not to feed babies in public because you don't like it. :headache:

I'm just guessing, but I would say they didn't have enough room to cover rockers for all the bottle feeders AND breast feeders, and as breast feeding is offensive for some to see in public, they needed to make sure there was always available space to encourage breastfeeders to go to avoid dealing with upset park guests and to keep things as pleasant for as many people as possible.

However I do feel they should have another area just for bottle feeders (dads or moms) to be fair. I don't think they intended to discriminate negatively, they may have been more focused on encouraging breastfeeders to a private area for the benefit of other park guests, and didn't realize that bottle feeders would enjoy the same things (from my experience with large companies, they often overlook the smallest, simplest gestures!) Maybe make your voice heard with Disney so they know there's a need! :)

That said... I kind of wish I could have made use of that baby room when I was nursing my kids (they're too old now) I lived in areas at the time where they had *nothing* in public areas for feeding and taking care of babies. Good to know Disneyland has such a place!

Wow, jilld11, that's all I can say...

I also can see them not allowing a dad into the private area - if I'm worried about others seeing my breast enough to make a special trip to the baby center, I ought to be allowed the privacy of only another mom feeding her child seeing it. My guess would be that they are reserving the rocking chairs for breastfeeding moms only because they are in the 'private' area (I haven't seen the baby center, so I am making an assumption here), and they don't want the more acceptable public feeding method (bottle) to be taking up the chairs? :confused3 That's the only thing I can think of - that they decided it would be less confrontational to not allow bottles there at all, rather than to ask someone to move for a breastfeeding mom.

I saw several mothers breastfeeding their babies in the park last week (didn't see a single actual breast, but as a former breastfeeder, I knew what they were doing). I gave each mother a genuine smile and nod of approval - I'm glad they were willing to give their babies what they needed when they needed it.

We are all entitled to our own opinions, so if somewhere has a BF area, why not use it to not bother others that are bothered by it. Just because you don't agree with that opinion doesn't mean you can't be respectful of it. We all do things that aren't what we would always want to do to be considerate of others. I don't know why it can't be the same here.
Not meaning to offend anyone, honestly.

I'm going to move this over to the Community Board.

For some odd reason, breastfeeding threads can turn ugly as people forget to respect other opinions. I'm asking everyone who participates to please be respectful of other opinions here on the boards. That way we won't have to lock the thread.

Thanks.

I bottle fed my babies and I would have sat in those chairs if I wanted to feed in there. I bottle fed on benches lots, so didn't mind, but if I had wanted to use the chair, I would have.

OK. You're encouraging bottle-feeders to take up the breastfeeding chairs.

would appreciate it if BF mother's would not do it in public. We don't need to see that and neither do my children. Certainly if they do find the need to do it in public, cover with a blanket and please never do it at a restaurant. Just my opinion and I do realize it's not a favorable one.

So, you'd take up one of the only places at Disneyland that you believe would be acceptable for someone to breastfeed. By posting that, you seem to be saying that everybody is entitled to use the chairs there if they want to. However, then you post that breastfeeding should only be allowed in those chairs that you were encouraging the bottle-feeders to occupy. Sounds like you don't think breastfed babies have the right to be fed.

We are all entitled to our own opinions, so if somewhere has a BF area, why not use it to not bother others that are bothered by it. Just because you don't agree with that opinion doesn't mean you can't be respectful of it. We all do things that aren't what we would always want to do to be considerate of others. I don't know why it can't be the same here.
Not meaning to offend anyone, honestly.

Yes we are all entitled to our opinion, and to voice it but then should leave it at that.

Our bodies were made to nurse our babies. So women should be allowed to do just that. I beleive there is only one baby center at DLR. Would you expect a family to walk from one end of the park to the other everytime a baby needs to nurse? Would you be willing to feed your 9 and 7 yr old children at only one place in the park no matter how hungry they are or how far away it is?

You apper to be pretty intolerant of others views and feelings, as witnessed by your views on this subject and on the stroller topic, leaving your 16 mo old child at home so you don't have to use a stroller. Maybe DLR is not the right place for you to visit with your children as they might get a chance to see a veiwpoint oppossed to yours.

I work in Newborn ICU and know what a big difference breast feeding makes to our children and their survival. It is now recommended to nurse exclusively to AT LEAST one year of age, and beyond is better. I am all for mothers breast feeding in whatever manner is comfortable to them, be that at the baby center or in the park, on a bench, POTC ride, or :scared1: at the resturant across from me. Not everyone is able to nurse their child but those who can and choose to have a legal right to do so.

I can guarantee that you and your children have seen a mother nursing her child and been woefully oblivious to it.

To the OP I can see not letting a man into the "private" area for those mothers who want the place away from the public. I see many new moms who are embarrased to breast feed when the MD is in the room, the same MD who delivered the baby. We work very hard to try and let them know there is nothing to be embarrassed about but some moms still need that privacy.
But you still should have been allowed to sit there to bottle feed. Maybe the cast member didn't think your husband whould leave if another womam came in :confused3

Okay I will now step down off my soapbox.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter