Baby at Disney World

Hi All!!

My husband and I have a trip booked for 10/26/13 at the WL for 6 nights. We are expecting our first baby any day now and we were considering leaving him at home for this trip. I just realized last night that we will be there during our babies first Halloween and I can't miss that. He will be about 10 months old when we go. Is that too young to bring him to DW? We aren't ever out really late. What are your thoughts?

SOrry in the minority..too young wont remember any of it. The baby would be happier at grandmas. trust me we brought a baby..wasnt fun in any way for the baby or us. As far as Halloween..I think you are more worried than the baby will be about this minor holiday. now Christmas is another story.

GO!!! He might not remember it, but you sure will!!

Kids that age are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO easy to travel with! I wouldn't even hesitate...I would just go.

trust me we brought a baby..wasnt fun in any way for the baby or us.

I'm kind of relieved to hear someone else say this. I don't think bringing an infant is always as easy as some think it "should" be. ;)

ETA: I have a teething 9 month old right now. I don't even want to take him to the grocery store today, let alone WDW.

Nope not too young. I took my DD when she was 3 months old. Also took my other DD when she was 4 months old. Now that is have learned the magic of babywearing it is soo easy to go places with my YDD who is now 23 months.

GO!!! He might not remember it, but you sure will!!

Kids that age are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO easy to travel with! I wouldn't even hesitate...I would just go.

We have taken both our DD's before their 1 year birthday and had great experiences with both. But we also got into the mind set before we went, that it will be on their schedule not ours and we may have to sacrifice some stuff. Both DD's love watching the videos of when they went to WDW as a babyprincess: That is how they and you will remember this trip!

We took DS's first trip, a one-day trip to DisneyLAND while on a longer trip to CA visiting my brother, when he was 17 months old. If we had known that we were latent Disney freaks, we would have taken him the instant I could have done it. It was SO much easier to have trips with him when he was bitty and didn't have strong opinions about things. :) It was the year of him being 3 that was the hardest, because he got scared of everything. (turned 4 and that changed)

SOrry in the minority..too young wont remember any of it. The baby would be happier at grandmas. trust me we brought a baby..wasnt fun in any way for the baby or us. As far as Halloween..I think you are more worried than the baby will be about this minor holiday. now Christmas is another story.

I think a baby is happiest with his parents vs other relatives, no matter how often they see the grands. DS liked seeing his grandma best when he was being held by me and looking at her, for instance. (then again, she's kinda scary, as was one of MY grandmothers)

A trip with a baby isn't FOR the baby. It's for the adults, and the baby goes along with them, because that's the natural place for the baby to be.

Sometimes, being *at home* isn't fun with a baby. Might as well be in a place that's more fun, I say!

ETA: I have a teething 9 month old right now. I don't even want to take him to the grocery store today, let alone WDW.

But if you were told "you MUST go to the store or WDW", which would you choose? Where would YOU be happiest, even knowing that your baby is going to be teething wherever? (and where might the baby be distracted in fun ways?)

Hopefully Helpful Hints:

Put wet washcloths into the freezer and let baby gnaw on those frozen cloths. If you have pumped breastmilk, put it in one of the plastic pumping bags, and once it's frozen, let baby gnaw on that. Once it starts to melt, put it into a sippie cup and let baby slurp on it, lick it, just let that icy milk be on her sore gums. Nutrition and icy cold comfort all at once. :)

Many people love Hylands teething tablets, and they worked for us up to a point. Then I started using the individual remedies, matching them more perfectly to DS's teething symptoms at that moment. (that's how homeopathy works best anyway)

DS started teething at something like 3 months old and took months to get each tooth through... And now he's doing it again at 8, getting his long-awaited lateral incisors. (when he got his primaries of those, they grew in yellow, turned brown, decayed, and had to be extracted at 2...he's been without teeth in that spot for a long, long time...we can't wait to see them!) Teething teething teething... I know HE would rather be doing this at WDW, that's for sure! :rotfl:

Having taken all 8 of our children to Disneyworld as very small babies multiple times and in multiple seasons I can tell you that it works. The most important thing I brought was a baby backpack. I could not live without this. You can actually manuever through the crowds and the baby stays happier because they are up and moving. Don't forget to use the childcare stations. The one at Epcot and one at MK are really nice. (I didn't discover this until our 4th child)! Also- use the kid swap to it's fullest- it lets 3 people go back on ride for every one person who had to stay off- use it!

Here now with a 14 mo. old and we have had a GREAT time. Yes, it's more work, yes we can't go at our own pace, but I wouldn't have it any other way. It's been so much fun to see him walk down Main St., to smile at Mickey, to fall asleep in HM. I think 10 mo. is a great age!

I went with a 3 month old & it was ok, but is a lot more fun without an infant or toddler. If you happen to have a colicky baby or a fussy one it would be a horrible trip.

If you have a good baby, by all means take him if you would really miss him. The first Halloween would be for you as an 8th month old couldn't care less about missing it. He might even be quite scared seeing people in weird outfits.

Do whatever suits you & you won't go wrong.

We took our very fussy, very high maintenance youngest for the first time at 9 months and it was the easiest trip. Between the stroller and the baby Bjorne, he had so much to check out and look at. Now that he's 6, he's more mobile, more vocal, and still quite high maintenance-it's not near as easy. ;)

We took our very fussy, very high maintenance youngest for the first time at 9 months and it was the easiest trip. Between the stroller and the baby Bjorne, he had so much to check out and look at. Now that he's 6, he's more mobile, more vocal, and still quite high maintenance-it's not near as easy. ;)

I just wanted to say that I love your boys names!:goodvibes

But if you were told "you MUST go to the store or WDW", which would you choose? Where would YOU be happiest, even knowing that your baby is going to be teething wherever? (and where might the baby be distracted in fun ways?)

Honestly, when he's really fussy... I just want to be home where he's most comfortable. Happier baby, happier parents. We did plenty of travelling before we had kids.

Sure, we'd have some fun at WDW, but I don't think it'd be worth it when he's like this. He might very well cry for an hour on the plane. They'd be complaining about me over on the transportation board.

He still takes two or three hour-long naps a day (say 9 am, 12 pm, and 3 pm). Some babies don't sleep well in a stroller or carrier/backpack at that age. If your son can't nap on the go, you might be headed back to the room every few hours.

My son also cried inconsolably for an hour last night before going to sleep. Who would want to go through that in a hotel room with strangers next door? Not me.

Thanks for the teething tips, but I've heard them all already. Many babies are just fussy sometimes no matter what you do. Most of my friends' babies are like this, too, to some extent.

We're actually taking him when he's a little over a year old, but we're bringing a bunch of grandparents for reinforcement. I'm still a little nervous.

OP, I'm not saying, "don't go". I just think you want to leave yourself the option to cancel after you've met your baby.

We took older ds when he was 8 months. It was a good age! This trip ds number 2 is 11 weeks old (were heading home as I type this) and it was fine . It was definitely a slower trip but still fun. I say take the baby! Whatever you decide, have fun!

MegRaeWhay said:
Hi All!!

My husband and I have a trip booked for 10/26/13 at the WL for 6 nights. We are expecting our first baby any day now and we were considering leaving him at home for this trip. I just realized last night that we will be there during our babies first Halloween and I can't miss that. He will be about 10 months old when we go. Is that too young to bring him to DW? We aren't ever out really late. What are your thoughts?

W just took out two year old for his first trip, however we are planning on going back in Jan 2014 and hoping to have a baby in the meantime. Our last trip this sat week with a two and 12 year old was very different than past trips and this one would be too, we plan to stay in a monorail resort so we can easily op between the parks and hotel for naps and feedings as necessary with the youngest. Baby care centers are amazing and there are plenty of nooks & crannies to feed baby in if desired. My theory is that all my kids deserve magical vacations and I can't not go because we have a baby. But my oldest has been very understanding that he will have moments of each day that are about him and others will be about the baby, I couldn't leave one at home to miss out on it. But I've only been away overnight once from my two year old so maybe I'm overly attached! ;)

Is there a reason you have to decide now? I wouldn't worry about it until you get closer to your trip. Disney has a pretty generous cancellation period on its bookings. You don't really need to decide until the end of the summer. Why don't you just wait and see what the new year brings and how you feel after baby is here for a little while? You may find you are comfortable and want to leave your baby with a family member or you may decide that no way, you want to take your child with you!

We took DS when he just turned 12-mo and he LOVED it (dd was 3.) I wasn't expecting him to, but he was soaking it all in and grinning the entire time!!! He would nap in the stroller without a problem (the movement put him to sleep.) He LOVED the characters. That trip went so well that we ended up going again this year when he was just shy of 2. It was a good trip, but let's just say I preferred him at 12-mo!!! (And he hid and wanted NOTHING to do with characters this time around!) You just never know. The trip wasn't about him remembering it, though. It was about going as a family and US remembering it. About DH and I seeing it through his eyes and his sister's eyes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter