??? baby at California Grill

Finally_Talking

Mouseketeer
We love California Grill -we've been twice with two kids (9 and 12). Now we have a 14 month old as well. I just made a dinner reservation for CG at 5:30. Would this be appropriate???? I don't remember if we saw any young toddlers or babies the last time we ate here (it was later in the evening).

I tried for something around 4:30 or 5:00 but 5:30 was the earliest available. Just don't want to be in an uncomfortable situation.

If you've had experience with this restaurant, I would appreicate your thoughts! Thanks very much!

Absolutely! We went at the end of September last year and had our 18 month old with us. My son shared his steak and I shared my pork loin with him (I was not about to let hubby give him ostritch!). He sat in a high chair and people-watched and colored for the majority of the time. Our server was wonderful with him.

Have a great meal!

PS - if it helps, I think our ressie was at 6pm!

You should definitely go! To me, one of the great things about Disneyworld is that you can eat at a terrific restaurant like the California Grill without having to worry about bringing your children. It's a place for kids!

A highligh for us last summer was dinner at California Grill, during which there was a space shuttle launch. Half the restaurant filed outside onto the roof to watch -- the whole place came to a halt! There were lots of kids of all ages, go and enjoy!

Can the child deal with a dining experience that can take 1.5ish hours?

Are you willing to get up with the child and exit the restaurant if the child starts to cry/scream and interrupt other diners?

There are children at every restaurant at Disney (minus V&A's for anyone under 10). Only you know your child and if they can handle the time there. So, take them, but please do keep the other diners in mind if your child starts to get too loud.

You should definitely go! To me, one of the great things about Disneyworld is that you can eat at a terrific restaurant like the California Grill without having to worry about bringing your children. It's a place for kids!

I agree that you do not need to worry about taking your child to the restaurant, as there will be plenty of children there.

You do, however, need to be prepared to remove your child from the restaurant if he/she begins to act up and interfere with other patrons' enjoyment of their meal. "It's a place for kids" does not apply to screaming children in a signature dining establishment.

I have seen children of all ages there many times, so yes it fine to bring your baby.

But only you know how much your little one can handle. I would plan a dinner time that doesn't interfere with their nap/bed times, bring lots to do and be prepared to have to get up and let them stretch their legs a bit as needed, and to call it when they have had enough. All stuff you're used to doing:lmao:

As long as you set yourself up for success you'll be fine. ;)

California Grill doesn't open until then, so you'll be one of the first seated. I don't see this being a problem for you at all.

We're taking our granddaughter who will be 11 months old in December. Cant wait!

we brought ds at 6mos... we also had an early ADR and after dinner toured the resort, let the big kids play in the arcade and then went back upstairs for the fireworks... we were able to keep the baby in his stroller for the fireworks (and dinner)...

Great answers everyone but I have another question. We're staying at the BLT and I was thinking about getting reservations to the CG but I wasn't sure about the menu. Our kiddos are big fans of mac and cheese, burgers, hot dogs and pizza but I wasn't sure if those items were offered. Is there a good kids menu?Our older two kiddos will be fine but I am totally prepared to bring our youngest daughter (who will have just turned two at the time of the trip) back to the room if I need to. That's what so appealing about the CG, being so close to our room!

Babies are welcome everywhere at Disney :) (ok, except for V&A :lmao:) If kids need distraction, btw courses take a walk to the viewing area

You can also come back after dinner to see the fireworks :thumbsup2

Here is a link to the CG Menu here in the DIS

A highligh for us last summer was dinner at California Grill, during which there was a space shuttle launch. Half the restaurant filed outside onto the roof to watch -- the whole place came to a halt! There were lots of kids of all ages, go and enjoy!

From a fellow LIer...We may have been there the same day! DH and DD loved watching the shuttle go off! DS was about 2.5 at the time and we just kept him busy with coloring and the ipod (with earphones). We are looking forward to another trip this year!

We are doing the same thing with our 11 month old, first seating at CG. I think it is by far the best choice for a baby at a signature restaurant. The atmosphere is busy and loud anyways, its not an intimate/quiet/dark setting like Citricos or Jiko.

I've eaten at CG on my last two trips, and BOTH times, the place was filled to the brim with children. We were a childless couple for those trips, and it didn't really bother us. CG has some of the best servers on property IMHO, and I saw them adjusting the timing of courses when children needed to be removed.

We went there last year at about 8 pm and saw lots of young kids there. You will be fine. We went without DS3 last year, but this year we are taking him to a few nicer TS restaurants. For him, a good bread basket and an iPad get us all through the meal intact! :rotfl:

Can the child deal with a dining experience that can take 1.5ish hours?

Are you willing to get up with the child and exit the restaurant if the child starts to cry/scream and interrupt other diners?

There are children at every restaurant at Disney (minus V&A's for anyone under 10). Only you know your child and if they can handle the time there. So, take them, but please do keep the other diners in mind if your child starts to get too loud.

It amazes me how adults want children to behave but have no problem with adults that can't behave. I've been to upscale restaurants on Disney property and elsewhere where I can hear what should be intimate conversations between adults several tables away. I've seen adults blow their nose into their linen napkin as dozens dine around them. I've heard adults belch and watched them scratch. I've seen adults dress in clothing so inappropriate they should be arrested. But heaven forbid a 2 year old get a little fussy. I say bring the little one and let the child enjoy. If the child enjoys too much, maybe it will drive some of the stuffy adults out of the restaurant!

Were this a thread about misbehaving adults, what you say would have relevance.
But we''re talking about little children here, and how such a long meal just might result in screaming, yelling etc--which would certainly disturb ME!!!
Bottom line is that the 2 year old would certainly not be out of place at the CG but the OP ought to be aware of just how long a meal this might be and the need to possibly leave the restaurant should circumstances arise.

It amazes me how adults want children to behave but have no problem with adults that can't behave. I've been to upscale restaurants on Disney property and elsewhere where I can hear what should be intimate conversations between adults several tables away. I've seen adults blow their nose into their linen napkin as dozens dine around them. I've heard adults belch and watched them scratch. I've seen adults dress in clothing so inappropriate they should be arrested. But heaven forbid a 2 year old get a little fussy. I say bring the little one and let the child enjoy. If the child enjoys too much, maybe it will drive some of the stuffy adults out of the restaurant!

Um, where did I say that it was okay for adults to act like jerks in a restaurant? Bothering other diners is bothering other diners. Period. Someone that is loud and drunk is just as much as an issue as a child screaming or running around the restaurant.

This thread is asking about a child, thus I answered about a CHILD. Yes, I expect children to behave at any restaurant and not ruin the dining experience of those around them. Yes, I expect parents to do what they have to do to accomplish this. Children should not be allowed to scream blood murder, run around a restaurant, throw food, ect. If such things occur then they need to be removed from the area until they calm down. I expect this at home at Olive Garden (not that I eat there anymore) just as much as I expect this at California Grill.

And before anyone goes "but Disney is for Children!", it's not JUST for children. I expect there to be kids everywhere. I enjoy watching kids experience the magic. However, I also expect that manners not be left at home.

Um, where did I say that it was okay for adults to act like jerks in a restaurant? Bothering other diners is bothering other diners. Period. Someone that is loud and drunk is just as much as an issue as a child screaming or running around the restaurant.

This thread is asking about a child, thus I answered about a CHILD. Yes, I expect children to behave at any restaurant and not ruin the dining experience of those around them. Yes, I expect parents to do what they have to do to accomplish this. Children should not be allowed to scream blood murder, run around a restaurant, throw food, ect. If such things occur then they need to be removed from the area until they calm down. I expect this at home at Olive Garden (not that I eat there anymore) just as much as I expect this at California Grill.

And before anyone goes "but Disney is for Children!", it's not JUST for children. I expect there to be kids everywhere. I enjoy watching kids experience the magic. However, I also expect that manners not be left at home.

I don't see in my post where I said "jerk". I spoke about "adults" not behaving. I had a pretty good rant to share, but I'm bored with you and I'm done. Have a magical trip your next time at Disney!!! :goodvibes

Just wanted to say thanks very much for all the replies. As I said in my original post, we've been to this restaurant before (so we do know how long the experience can take). We also have two older children and are very used to entertaining babies at restaurants and taking them out when they've had enough and are overstimulated.

Just wanted some opinions from people who have taken a baby here - didn't know if would be worth keeping our reservation if others found it an uncomfortable place to be with someone so young. Thank you again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter