Babies in the World = I need your help

serene56

DIS Veteran
we have been planning our dec 2013 trip since sept 2010.

my family is growing by two new members this year one will be born in april. the other will be born in may.

the DD in law are freaken out taking 6-7 month old babies.

how hard is this going to be?

there will be 16 of us the two babies a 2 year old 3 kids- 8, 11 & 12
3 strolllers.

any suggestions to help alleviate the fears happening here

serene56 said:
we have been planning our dec 2013 trip since sept 2010.

my family is growing by two new members this year one will be born in april. the other will be born in may.

the DD in law are freaken out taking 6-7 month old babies.

how hard is this going to be?

there will be 16 of us the two babies a 2 year old 3 kids- 8, 11 & 12
3 strolllers.

any suggestions to help alleviate the fears happening here

To be honest I would say the 2-year old will probably be the hardest! We've one the last 4 years with kids ages between 4 months and 7 years. Babies that age on't want out of the stroller or need to walk or have opinions on things:0) they'll be more breaks for feeding and hanging, but they'll probably nap easily in the stroller, possibly unlike the 2 year old... There are facilities for nursing in each park and let's of washrooms for changing and such. I'm sure you'll have a great time! We went with a larger group of 10 people for the last few years and I would just recommend to stay flexible, relaxed and split up if neccessary.

Have a magical trip!

quesang said:
To be honest I would say the 2-year old will probably be the hardest! We've gone the last 4 years with kids ages between 4 months and 7 years. Babies that age won't want out of the stroller or need to walk or have opinions on things:0) they'll be more breaks for feeding and changing, but they'll probably nap easily in the stroller, possibly unlike the 2 year old... There are facilities for nursing in each park and lot's of washrooms for changing and such. I'm sure you'll have a great time! We went with a larger group of 10 people for the last few years and I would just recommend to stay flexible, relaxed and split up if neccessary.

Have a magical trip!

ETA:spelling

Disney World is a great place to take infants! They can ride everything except the coasters and simulator rides (probably all the same things as the 2 year old). We took DS when he was 6 months, and it was actually quite nice. They still sleep alot at that stage, aren't very squirmy, and he easily fell asleep in stroller (which was not the case at 10 months). There is a baby care center in every park that has anything you could possibly need; nursing room, changing tables, and they sell clothes, formula, baby food, infant tylenol etc. If you are nursing, shows that are dark (Hall of Presidents, American Adventure, Philharmagic, etc. are perfect, not to mention air conditioned!)

With 16 people, you should have no problem with two infants. It is likely that not everyone will want to ride certain things, so those people can stay with the infants. Plus, there is rider swap! Just relax, take it easy, and don't let the family get on your nerves. Schedule some apart time. Remember, your number one priority is your baby's well being.

Also, remember to keep the babies cool. Since you are going in December, the temperatures shouldn't be too bad. We went in July, and we had a stoller fan, Frogg Toggs, and lots of sunscreen (specifically for babies) for the little guy. When we went in December he was 10 months and I don't think we ever put sunscreen on him, we just kept the stroller shade (it is a bigger one) down when he was in the sun.

Have Fun!

I totally agree. Babies are way easier than 2 yo at Disney. We took dd at 10 weeks and it was easy peasy. Dd at 11 months, not as easy. Odd at 15 months, HARD!

They will be fine!

I agree! I took my six month old baby last fall and he was soooooo easy. Slept, took his bottle and ate his food (which is easy to pack and bring) and otherwise just watched everything.

Now my almost three year old really exhausted me and the grandparents. She love it but MAN - that was work!!!! ;)

One thing to remember is that when using Disney bus transportation, you are required to fold your strollers before you get on. Babies are not allowed to remain in strollers. Babies are allowed to remain in front body carriers, but not back carriers. Children can sit on your lap, but must face forward. They are not permitted to lay with their face/head on your chest. This is for both child/adult safety purposes.

As someone who took a 6 month old baby, then that same baby at 18 months, I agree with all of the above--the 6 month old was a walk in the park (literally). Just wanted to add an extra tip--buy a RayShade by Summer (baby item brand). They sell them at Babies R Us. It is a stretchy piece of fabric that attaches to your stroller & extends the canopy so the sun stays out of their eyes. This thing was a lifesaver on those abnormally hot/sunny days when we were there in February!

I took DD at 6months. She was not a happy stroller or baby carrier kind of baby, but it was still the easiest trip with her. She was a little terror at 19months, and then got a whole lot better at 26months. The older kids in your group are going to be more troublesome since they have their own ideas of what kind of stuff they like/don't like and what they want to do.

We took DS this year for his first birthday. Until he caught a cold at the end of the trip, it was a breeze. He would sleep in the stroller and we only had to go back to the hotel once.

He had a great time and really, really loved the characters. Particularly Aurora (that's my boy!). He even walked to Donald Duck. We just had to stop every couple of hours and let him out of the stroller to walk/crawl around.

There are also baby centers in each park.

This response will be different from what you've gotten already. Our first trip, our youngest son was 8 years old (or almost 8) and that's just because we didn't get a chance or have the $$ to go before then. I might also tell you he is now in his 30's.
However, I see as much difficulty with the size of your group -- other than having built-in babysitters.
I hope you won't all be trying to travel on the same bus at the same time and/or going on the same rides at the same time. That could be as frustrating as how the babies MIGHT behave.
We've seen tiny babies sleep through everything. But we've also seen them crying up a storm.
Wish you all the luck and hope it goes well. Frankly I'd be freaking out!!
:crowded:

I took DD at 9 months, 21 months, and 28 months. 9 months was by far the easiest. Yes, we had to deal with diapers, bottles, and babyfood. She napped and stayed in her stroller without issue. She also had no opinion on anything. Now everything is we should do it again.

DS had his first trip to WDW when he was 6 months. It was fine - we did take afternoon park breaks to go back to the resort for naps (it gave him a break from the heat, and the rest of the family would go for a swim).

We took my dd when she was around 8 months and she was really very easy. I was just telling the kids the other day that she was easier then ds 4 was. She sat in the stroller, napped, went on rides and did not talk back or argue which ride was next, or when to go back to the hotel.

I would not worry, have fun.

I took my DS to disney when he was 10 mo. We had grandparents there to help when my older DDs (7 & 9) wanted to ride rides that he couldn't so he was a breeze. I agree with the other posters, the size of your group is probably going to be more of a challenge than the babies. DS had the stroller and 5 different sets of arms to carry him around all day he was a happy little camper.

My son was 1 1/2 when we went last April it was so easy. Our flight going he fell asleep 10 mins into the flight.

He did awesome in the parks. It was great to see him get so excited to see the parades and characters from a far. Close up was another story lol. He napped during pirates of the Caribbean ride. (DD6 still laughs about it)

The flight home he was sleeping as we boarded the plane, slept threw the whole flight and woke up in the terminal.

We traveled with a friend who son was just 1 and she had a hard time with him. Cried during the flights. Didn't want to sit in the stroller in the parks. I totally think its the luck of the draw!

I also agree, babies are easy compared to toddlers! At 4 months, DD was a dream child in the parks, at age 3 she was heck on wheels, lol.

I agree that the overall size of your group might be a bigger concern, 16 is a LOT to keep track of if everyone is trying to stay together for all meals, rides & shows for the duration of the trip.

December is a beautiful time to visit the parks, enjoy!!

Our baby was 4 months old for our trip last year and he was so easy! We had rented a double stroller for our older 2, so we had that to deal with but I wore the baby, still do, so that makes it easier. A baby is easy IMO...all he did was nurse, sleep and hung out in the carrier the majority of each day. Have fun!!

danwj1111 said:
One thing to remember is that when using Disney bus transportation, you are required to fold your strollers before you get on. Babies are not allowed to remain in strollers. Babies are allowed to remain in front body carriers, but not back carriers. Children can sit on your lap, but must face forward. They are not permitted to lay with their face/head on your chest. This is for both child/adult safety purposes.

I believe you that these are the official rules written down somewhere, but while they certainly DO make you fold all strollers, my daughter has slept face down in my husbands shoulder at least 2x a day for the last 3 trips, along with all then other 0-3yr olds on the bus, and no one has said a word. That includes several bus rides in an ergo carrier (baby faces in) as a 6mo old. In fact I see lots of kids laying down with their head on their parents laps when the buses aren't full. Just putting that out there...

My youngest son's first trip was at 6 weeks old, a total breeze since he slept all day. My favorite trips were the 5-8 month range before he was mobile! Now at 12 months it's much more difficult. The babies will have a great time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter