babies crying at bedtime

Jazcat

Mouseketeer
Hi all please help! My twins are 15 months and cry when we put them to bed. We let them cry it out usually. At home, it's no big deal, but we are worried when we stay at Pop that it will bother others. Any suggestions, especially since the sleeping arrangements will be different than at home.

I don't have any really unique ideas, but I'll lend you some company. My youngest almost always cries at bedtime when we are in unfamiliar surroundings. There isn't anything I can do about it. I try to comfort her and get through the process quickly. More than once I've let her fall asleep next to me in the bed and then moved her into the crib once she's sound asleep. I'm sure she has annoyed someone along the way and I do feel bad about that. The good thing is she usually goes to sleep earlier than most, so she's not interrupting anyone else's sleep. Unlike the preteens who run screaming down the halls on the way back from the pool at midnight. ;)
My kid probably doesn't bother anyone else more oftern than their kids have bothered us. :rotfl::rotfl:

Don't worry about your crying kids. I wouldn't expect to not hear and see crying children at Disney. There are overtired and overstimulated kids everywhere with plenty of overtired and overstimulated parents.

Anyway, to lessen the overstimulation and crying, keep the twins routine the same as it is at home as much as possible. Return to the room for naps during the day, eat at the same times, etc. The more you can keep the routine, the less stressed they will be and the faster they will fall asleep.

Have fun!!

If you're super worried about it, you could always see if they have a room in a building where there's fewer guests? Probably not worth it in busy season but hey, it never hurts to ask. I agree with keeping them on the same schedule as home so its less of a change, or start making the change while you're still home (so keeping them up a little later or putting them down a little earlier) so again it's not a huge shift for them.

All I have to say is, there's no tired like Disney tired. I bet your kids pass out. If not, geeze don't stress about it! A kid would have to be screaming bloody murder like it was being killed before I'd be angry enough to call security, kwim? It's Disney, land of overtired, overstimulated kids... it's to be expected.

:goodvibes

Just wanted to let you know you aren't alone! DS doesn't actually cry too long if at all at bedtime, but it happens occasionally, and I am sure in a new place, it is bound to happen. I am one of those parents that tends to freak out that everyone around me is sending me the "can't you get that kid quiet?" stares so I have had to remind myself that I am not the only one with a baby who lets the world know when he is mad! :rotfl: We are bringing the sound machine with us that we use in our baby's room each night so I am hoping if he does cry, that will muffle the sound a bit- and like you said, an earlier bedtime will help as most people don't go to bed at 8:00 PM. Hope you have a wonderful trip!

I was worried about this too. Back when we first took our twins (now 4.5 yrs) to Disneyworld (for a week), they were a few months shy of being 3, and, my son especially, would cry himself to sleep (even now, it still happens occasionally). We had taken them on vacation before, but that was the first time in that kind of situation, so I was nervous. Honestly, we needn't be worried. Disneyworld has a way of wiping out kids. You would think that everyone being in the same room would making bedtime a bit of a zoo, but at DW, they have a tendency just to collapse.

However, I can still understand being worried. I know that in terms of soundproofing, the Unofficial Guide rates the values as some of the highest. I've heard, that you need to keep your bathroom door shut. You should also keep to the twins' schedule as much as possible. Also, even if you don't use music to help them fall asleep at home, I found, that one vacation, classical music was a great way to drown out background noise and help them settle down.

GL.

1. I don't travel with young children so take my advice as a grain of salt.
2. I am sure there have been screaming kids in the rooms next to me as I stay on property and kids scream. . .its life.
3. I have stayed value, mod, and deluxe. Kids everywhere at all levels and yet, once in my room, I have never had issue. . .even with the occasional scream down the hall. . .

Relax and enjoy your vacation.

Hi all please help! My twins are 15 months and cry when we put them to bed. We let them cry it out usually. At home, it's no big deal, but we are worried when we stay at Pop that it will bother others. Any suggestions, especially since the sleeping arrangements will be different than at home.
don't worry about cyring kids, it's disney and it shouldn"t bother others, we have all gone through it, probably at one point or another, don't let that though consume your mind and ruin your trip

I travel with a couple white noise machines, because I figure it's my responsibility to keep the unwanted noise at bay (whether caused by adults or children). I don't hear anything! :thumbsup2

However, one thing you can do for your neighbors if you are concerned, and you end up in a room with a connecting door, is roll up a towel and stuff it between the doors down at the bottom. Sometimes there is space under the door that allows noise to travel from one room to the other more easily than in non-connecting rooms. The towel helps muffle the sound. This could be to your benefit as well, if you have noisy neighbors during nap time.

I think it is lovely of you to think of other resort guest but you are at DW and it is full of overstimulated exhausted children and parents. Don't anticipate a crying child. Try not to be axiety ridden over a crying child. It may make it worse. Children cry unless it is for abuse or illness too bad for an intolerant person at your resort. I hpe your children fall asleep quickely and happily during your vacation.

I find that most parents way over estimate the noice their children make! Don't worry about it (though that is easier said than done) and enjoy your vacaiton.

I sometimes go up to a family with a crying child and saying something like "i agree! The service here is terrible"...usually makes them laugh a lot!

I just want to say thank you for being considerate of others! Not many people do that these days!

I hear kids screaming and crying all the time at WDW, babies and toddlers do not bother me, its the older kids that carry on and act insane and the parents that do nothing that bother us :goodvibes

My bet is they will be so tired that they will zonk right out ;)

Perhaps a corner room, less neighbors. If they have their own room at home I bet it will be more fun for them being in the same room with you. The tv may be on and they can just fall asleep on their own time?

We took my DGS when he was that age. He ended up doing really good. He would stand and look at us at first and then watched some Disney TV and next thing you knew he was fast a sleep. The days were long on him so this helped.

I agree with the above poster--ask for a corner room on a bottom floor if you are concerned. Then you only have a couple of neighbors, one beside you and one above. But really, I don't think anyone is going to be bothered. I've been to disney with neighbors that had crying babies and it didn't bother me a bit. Made me appreciate that I could lay down without having to bother with one!;) Seriously though, most people either have children with them at Disney with the same concerns. Anyone single at Disney has had kids in their life they have dealt with somewhere. Everyone knows that crying and tantrums happen. Noone is going to be angry with you at all.:)

So sweet of you to be concerned.

I also recommend bringing a noise machine to help soothe them and just do your best to stick with a relatively normal bedtime routine. And also, remember that days at WDW are exhausting - particularly past the first day. My kids are just absolutely beat by the time we get to the room. Hopefully that will be the same for you!!

It's really kind of you to be concerned, but I wouldn't worry about it. There's only so much you can do, it's not like you can flip a switch and make a baby stop crying. I'd hope your fellow guests would understand that. You go to WDW, you're gonna hear a crying kid every now and then. Goes with the territory. :)

I don't really think that type of crying carries as far as you think it does. Shrieking, yes. Tantrums, yes. But simple bedtime crying, without a high-pitched factor? Not so much.

If you're going to follow their bedtimes this means you won't be out too late so many of the people around you will never hear it as the fireworks don't even go off until 9pm at the earliest. By the time most people get back from the parks for this your twins will be long asleep. I can't honestly recall the last time I was back to the room before 11pm since I tend to linger after the fireworks so I there's not such a crowd at the bus stop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter