[b]june 1, 2013 magic med 7 day[/b]

kikids said:
For those wondering how awesome the Edge is (versus the Vibe) for kids around 13 yrs old, here is a pic I took on the Magic last Spring when my daughter was 12.5. A group of kids used the Edge as a meet place and then went everywhere together (shows, pool, character photos, trivia, etc). None of these kids knew each other (except for these dis boards) before the cruise and they became nearly inseparable. My DD is the blond (2nd girl from left) with the peace sign on her shirt and someone on her back. She is happy to answer questions about the Edge if anyone has any.
Hi. Nice to hear that there'll be other 13 year olds on the cruise too. My brother had a question for ur daughter: "hi, my name is Vedant and I'm 13 yrs old. Just wondering if Edge has ps3 consoles and whether we can carry our own games.?¿"

Is the cruise documents really mandatory to get in the ship? I guess it is just to get the check-in process faster, right?

Mailing system is a real failure in my country :confused3

You don't have to ave them to oars the ship as you will have your printed docs from online check n. they are just an added excitement to the holiday build up!

Is the cruise documents really mandatory to get in the ship? I guess it is just to get the check-in process faster, right?

The only real important thing in the package is your luggage tags.

I have never been on a cruise before but I would think that you would need your documents, for security. I think it might be a bit like you need a ticket to get in a plane so I think you would need something to get in the ship, but I am sure someone that's done it before will clear it up for you.

I have never been on a cruise before but I would think that you would need your documents, for security. I think it might be a bit like you need a ticket to get in a plane so I think you would need something to get in the ship, but I am sure someone that's done it before will clear it up for you.

We've never needed any of our docs because we complete the on-line check in. The only paperwork they ask for is the one you've signed authorizing how you will pay for the on-board charges. They can print out a copy of that if you don't have it. They'll also ask you to complete the short health form. If you don't have your luggage tags, or upgrade to another cabin, they have tags for you to use. You show them your passport and they bring up everything on their computer. As some one else said, the docs are mostly for the fun of getting them. They use to be even more fun, coming in a treasure chest or something else very cute, but the book is still neat to get.

No, not really but if you don't have your luggage tags, you have to get some fixed up once you get to the port and have to mess with the bags and all that. Normally the first thing you do once arriving at the port and gotten out of the transportation there is to just drop off your bags with the baggage boys at the curb and than you take yourself and carry on items to check in counter. Not sure what you would have to do if your luggage tags are missing or lost. But they need the tags to know which room to deliver them to.

For checkin all you need is your name and a photo id, just like at the airport. If all in your party has cruised before it's generally enough to have one in your party to go check in. Anyone that has not cruised before need to come with since they take a picture that they store into their system so when you embark and disembark and you scan your KTTW (Key To the World) card the "security" will get your picture up on their computer to make sure it's really you.

This way you don't need photo ID to get on or off the ship, however some ports have port security that require some form of photo id as well your room key before you can get out to the ship. I know there was numerous ports on our 11 day Med we did a few years ago that either didn't check anything to get access to the dock or just wanted to see that you had what looked like a room key from the cruise ship (many never even looked close enough to tell if it was a "valid" key), but there was a few ports that wanted to see not only the room key but also a photo id (was almost surprised that our american DL's was enough). But after all if you have the wrong key card and the photo in the computer system when you board doesn't match the ship staff will not let you board (or leave). I ran into this once at Castaway Cay (think it was), needed to run up to the room to grab something and had my DD's key and mine in same pocket and scanned hers by accident instead of mine, I was quickly stopped, they reversed her "re-entry" and scanned my key and was allowed in (my being very embarrassed and apologizing all over myself and they just laughed telling me it happens ALL the time)

Hi. Nice to hear that there'll be other 13 year olds on the cruise too. My brother had a question for ur daughter: "hi, my name is Vedant and I'm 13 yrs old. Just wondering if Edge has ps3 consoles and whether we can carry our own games.?¿"

Our DS is alos 13 years old. I want to say with almost certainty that they have PS3 consoles, as well as Xbox and Wii's. As far as bringing your own games, I believe they do not permit that, all the games have to meet Disney guidelines when it comes to violence/nudity/profanity/blood&gore.
Been a while since I was inside any of the clubs but I think (might only be the smaller kids clubs) that the access to the console itself is very limited so if you want to play a specific game you basically have to go to a specific console since you can't change the game in the console by yourself, if the console needs to be reset for any reason you might even have to ask a counselor to do it. Will double check this with my DS if he can recall from last time he cruised.

I'm also unable to check in for us. It's been crashing (since last night) at the part after I enter the flight info.

I click save and it goes to an Error page. I'm using Chrome.

Anyone else?

Yes. Internal server error 500 has become my new best friend. I have been trying to access the checkin pages for almost 60 days! I have called the Disney help line about 4 times. They don't care. Apparently I am checked in but I can't check the info that they have and the last time I looked, what little information I can actually see on my computer had us listed as US citizens with US passports when we are British. I entered us as British (obviously!)

I called the helpline to change it (I couldn't - internal server error 500!) and they didn't want to take the time to go through the rest of my checkin, even though what I managed to print the one and only time it worked, bore no relation to what was now showing on both our screens on at least the two pages that I could see. I can only assume therefore that online checkin doesn't actually matter that much? We have also booked Disney transfers from Port to airport after the cruise, through our travel agents, and I cannot access the page to enter this information. I cannot enter the requisite flight information that Disney needs (internal server error 500!). The woman on the Disney help desk wouldn't take that info from me because I booked through a travel agent. Nope. Not making this up. So I have literally had to email my flight details (independently booked) to my travel agent so that she can email on to Disney?? And the Disney woman ended the conversation by suggesting that I should ask to speak to a supervisor at the travel agent....?! Seriously?! I have lost the will to go on!

Yes. Internal server error 500 has become my new best friend. I have been trying to access the checkin pages for almost 60 days! I have called the Disney help line about 4 times. They don't care. Apparently I am checked in but I can't check the info that they have and the last time I looked, what little information I can actually see on my computer had us listed as US citizens with US passports when we are British. I entered us as British (obviously!)

I called the helpline to change it (I couldn't - internal server error 500!) and they didn't want to take the time to go through the rest of my checkin, even though what I managed to print the one and only time it worked, bore no relation to what was now showing on both our screens on at least the two pages that I could see. I can only assume therefore that online checkin doesn't actually matter that much? We have also booked Disney transfers from Port to airport after the cruise, through our travel agents, and I cannot access the page to enter this information. I cannot enter the requisite flight information that Disney needs (internal server error 500!). The woman on the Disney help desk wouldn't take that info from me because I booked through a travel agent. Nope. Not making this up. So I have literally had to email my flight details (independently booked) to my travel agent so that she can email on to Disney?? And the Disney woman ended the conversation by suggesting that I should ask to speak to a supervisor at the travel agent....?! Seriously?! I have lost the will to go on!

Don't worry about it. There is nothing done online that can't be done in person. Disney asks for, but doesn't really need the flight information... There are many cruisers who don't check in online and do just fine. Stop stressing yourself over this and just stress about how close the cruise is...

Virgil
Pirate:

When you check in at the port, they swipe your passport and the computer will automatically re-key all the info.

I know this b/c I forgot I had a dba on my passport, and at Seattle last year they re-did all the info while I was standing there. It took a bit longer than if the info had just be in the system, but it wasn't a big deal.

OK so now that I have had my rant about online check in, on to the lovely things.

I have never done a 7 night cruise before and I am wondering how formal the formal nights are? Specifically, am I going to have schlepp a tuxedo half way across Europe?? We are in France and Spain for a week first.

OK so now that I have had my rant about online check in, on to the lovely things.

I have never done a 7 night cruise before and I am wondering how formal the formal nights are? Specifically, am I going to have schlepp a tuxedo half way across Europe?? We are in France and Spain for a week first.

This can be a hot topic, depending who you talk to. I seen everything from jeans and tee's to ball room gowns and tuxedo's worn. The idea with Formal and semi-formal is to have a night when people can dress up and go fancy. But it's more "optional" than anything else. Granted most people do at least put a bit more effort into the clothing those nights and many goes full out.

Personally unfortunately this time the Tux will be left at home, and I might or might get my suite with me, might just end up with dress pants, nice shirt, tie and a dress jacket. We are spending almost 3 weeks after our cruise over in Europe with rental car and domestic flights so have to watch packing space very carefully. Normally since we fly Southwest inside the US we often have a extra spare bag with us so can fit more than enough stuff and we bring Tuxedos and Suite for me, fancy gown/dresses for my DW and full pirates costumes for the kids and some light pirate attire for me and DW. But not this time, have to watch every little thing that goes in our suitcases so most things that are a "one off" use will probably have to stay behind.

I have a gown but am unsure whether or not I will take it. May just stick with a nice dress and not worry too much about it. If I take my gown it means I will have to not gain weight on the cruise (I have already gained some), so will not be able to eat. lol

So a simple dress is looking more like my option for comfort and packing reasons. :crazy2:

I have been sorting out the boys clothes for packing and I am wondering if shorts would be fine for non formal nights for them. I just don't want to over pack.
I have their clothes packed in a separate case for our couple of days in Barcelona pre-cruise (will put mine and DH in there too so I don't have to open different cases). But when I was placing tops with bottoms per day/evening I was looking at way too many clothes and thought I could just put them in clean shorts for dinner and let them wear them the next day. Does this plan sound okay? :confused3

I have been sorting out the boys clothes for packing and I am wondering if shorts would be fine for non formal nights for them. I just don't want to over pack.
I have their clothes packed in a separate case for our couple of days in Barcelona pre-cruise (will put mine and DH in there too so I don't have to open different cases). But when I was placing tops with bottoms per day/evening I was looking at way too many clothes and thought I could just put them in clean shorts for dinner and let them wear them the next day. Does this plan sound okay? :confused3

I think that is the sensible thing to do .... I know as usual I will bring way too much stuff I just can't help myself and then end up wearing pretty much the same 3 outfits :rolleyes: Luckily we have plenty of luggage allowance!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter