• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ayone else get comments for being DVC members??

LisaZ1113

Mouseketeer
My DFH and myself became proud owners at BLT while on vacation in december.

Sometimes I find myself WANTING to tell someone about it, but past reactions stop me..
A co worker said to me "well it must be nice to be rich" :rolleyes:...Ummm..I would not know, because we are NOT!!!

So in light of being portrayed as "snobby", I find myself hiding the fact that we are DVC owners. Anyone else? :confused:

I don't usually tell people right out that we are members. I have a member jacket that I wear a lot and people usually ask me. DS's allergist asked and told us how he was and we ended up having a 30 minute long conversation about where he should stay on his next visit. Then I was at a different school in May and one of the teachers also asked and told me how he was a member, and how they were going in July for their anniversary, staying at SSR, etc....

Other people that we know realize that we visit WDW 3-4 times a year and wonder how we can do it, and I tell them that we are DVC members, and shake my hand like it is no big deal, and tell them we don't have to pay for our accomodations.

PS--What is DFH? I can think of lots of things it could stand for: Dear Fat Head, Dear Favorite Hubby, Dear Fat Hubby! I'm not familiar with that one-DFH

I have a couple of close friends who I work with that say things! We just joined a few weeks ago and I told them today! One lady I work with really supports me! Anyway, one friend says "don't go too much, cause we want to go in 4 years when the kids are older..." "...jeez, I wish I made as much as you to afford that..."

Granted, I have a position that is well paid for where I work and live, but I put myself in that situation... Also, this is the guy who spends $100's a month on buying football cards on EBAY!

My other friend asked why I would want to go in Oct..."the middle of hurricane season..." And "why would you want to go to F&W...eepecially when the concerts are of crappy people!"

But...I have that rare ability to not give a #@i^ what others think. If I want to spend MY money on MY family, having great, lasting memories...then thats what I'll do.

PS--What is DFH? I can think of lots of things it could stand for: Dear Fat Head, Dear Favorite Hubby, Dear Fat Hubby! I'm not familiar with that one-DFH

Dear Future Husband, maybe???

I am a chatter box, and one only has to mention Disney and I start flapping my gums about owning at OKW, and how much joy it has given me...yahda yahda...and if I get any negative comments like it must be nice to have money, I just smile and say "yeah, it is great to own Disney." I don't let other people weigh me down when it comes to that! Stand proud!

cheryl

Dear Future Husband, maybe???

Dear future husband
Although, dear fat head sounds good!! :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

The few that know that I have a Disney timeshare equate it to just any old timeshare. Frankly, until I used a very nice friends DVC I didn't understand how it worked either. Then, about my 3rd trip I knew I had to become a DVC member, actually obssessed is more truthful.

I very rarely say anything, and other than my immediate family and friends who travel w/ me, it's a pretty well kept secret. At work I hear several times a year, "You're going to Disney, Again! I don't bother explaning it, I just say "Yup!"

It's interesting - and maybe it's just where I live, but - I rarely say anything to anyone about it because I actually think people look at it negatively. Almost like, "Oooh. A timeshare?!" It's like they think it's icky. Personally, I don't really care - we love it and think it was such a great investment. And I'm SO glad we did it while the kids were young.

I do talk about Disney a lot - and most people know I'm a Disney geek. I wear that on my sleeve. And even if they give me weird looks, you know who they come running to when they want information on their upcoming trips! :-)

My DFH and myself became proud owners at BLT while on vacation in december.

Sometimes I find myself WANTING to tell someone about it, but past reactions stop me..
A co worker said to me "well it must be nice to be rich" :rolleyes:...Ummm..I would not know, because we are NOT!!!

So in light of being portrayed as "snobby", I find myself hiding the fact that we are DVC owners. Anyone else? :confused:

The same exact thing happened to me at work. I was showing this really nice old man I work with the new 2009 planner because he LOVES wdw. This woman walked in and loudly said .."must be nice to be rich" and walked out.

Weird.

I was trying to explain it one day to a dear friend and she said: Oh like Wyndham. And I said just like it and changed the subject. ;)

I hate to tell you this but the only people that will truly understand you as a DVC member are other DVC members. My own family thinks were nuts. It has been said a thousand times. Most people don't get it. Just be happy there is DIS where you are understood.

Our family and friends know, and (knowing us) they support the decision. I don't usually dump the complete DVC "story" on friends at work, just little "kernels" of information. There's a good number of Disney "regulars" there, and as time goes by they ask more and more questions. One of my co-workers wandered down to my office the other day (where I keep an old spare DVC book) and he said "OK, I need to know more." Curiosity and genuine interest are their major influences. Others, many of whom have asked for assistance prior to their trips to WDW, come back and their general comment is "now I understand what DVC is, that's a great concept."

It's the old "soft sell." :thumbsup2

I have found through the years that the less said, the better. For some reason when people know you go to Disney often and own DVC, they automatically think you are rolling in money. A couple of years ago I started saying that we're going to our timeshare in Florida and for some reason people find this more reasonable.:confused3

For those that say "You're going to WDW again?", I either just look at them, or respond with "It's no different than people going to their lake house every summer, or their mountain cabin, etc.".

Like someone said, the only people that will truly understand are other DVC owners.

We bought BLT in May, but waited to tell my brother and sisters until we were all together at WDW in June for a family reunion. We were all on the ferry going from MK to the Wilderness Lodge for lunch and, as we were passing BLT, we told them "that big high rise over there" was our new home. My brother has gotten quite excited about DVC and we are planning a trip with him for the 2010 Food & Wine Festival. We've held off telling others about joining the DVC, and I don't know why. Maybe its because we don't know many people who love Disney as much as we do.

I actually consider owning DVC to be our dirty little secret. What I mean by that is that I consider it to be crazy expensive and I personally am not sure we made the right decision to buy. We own another timeshare that we bought for $1500 (a repo) that gives us access to Interval International exchanges and getaways. I see the value in that! I personally do not see the value in DVC but also have not used it yet. We are going on a 7night cruise in September with 2 years worth of points. I don't get what the big deal is with DVC (someone tell me!) but DH thinks it's awesome lol.

Our family do not understand, with the exception of my in-laws who saw the benefit themselves when we took them to Disney with us for 2 weeks. I don't think they'd ever stayed in such luxurious accommodation and I truly believe that they thought we would be staying somewhere like Pop or All Stars where Disney was shoved in your face 24/7.

The look on my MILs face when we pulled up outside Wilderness Lodge on arrival was absolutely priceless.

As far as friends go, we have some who know but most of them are fellow Disney fanatics and they totally understand anyway.

The biggest thing I find is that when/if we do tell people, in conversation, they assume it is something which we got coerced into buying because we couldn't say 'No' to a hard sell. I don't bother to try and correct them - I know the truth and that's all that matters :thumbsup2

I don't understand how we can go to the beach every year, and the lake every year, and skiing at the same mountain resort every year and yet take flak for going to WDW every year. I guess most folks think it's for kids so why, as adults, would you go there. BECAUSE WE'RE KIDS AT HEART. Okay??? Sheesh.

We are very vauge about it..our closest friends know (we have gone to Disney with them several times and they actually would be perfect for DVC but hated the one time share they had years and years ago, so I guess they still don't really get it). Other people we just say we have a kind of timeshare there...

I keep it to myself especially at work. DVC is my only real extravagance. When people at work ask how I can afford to go to WDW every year I tell them that I skimp the rest of the year to be able to go.

I've had mixed reactions from people...

First, we had a really, really negative reaction (and blog post) which I brought up here awhile back. Basicly they hated all things disney and thought I was jumping on to the 'american religion of consumerism' and bringing down the world,ruining my children's life, etc. Needless to say, that relationship did not last!

Next, I did get a 'must be nice, i could never afford that' reaction. What's funny, is that just this past week I talked to that same person about this, and they were thinking of going (have never been) and when they priced out a room at AKV, they realized that if they bought DVC how much they'd save in just a few trips. So I don't think I'll hear that again! If she thought she'd go multiple times she was feeling ready to buy herself, LOL! :rotfl:

And then I've gotten a few reactions from family who think we are nuts, because we won't want to go in a few years once our kids are older. It was then I tried to explain we could go to other places, and also that it's fun for us, not just our kids:) But I don't think they got it! And I've just dropped it.

It's interesting, because we own a cabin north of here we purchased about five years ago, and never once did I get anything negative on that in all that time. And we have owned DVC for a few months, and I've heard it all! I'm not sure what that's about! :confused3

But I also have had a few friends that were really great about it. We had a little party with the kids and lots of goodies, to celebrate our purchase, and they were all excited and happy for us:) Two friends in particular will listen to my endless decisions on where to stay with our points, etc, and haven't complained yet (true friends!). :goodvibes

No matter what anyone thinks though, what matters is our family, and WE are very happy and excited! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter