awkward conversation with another parent

momz

DIS Veteran
A couple of weeks ago, I had another mother approach me and say, "did you know your daughter has a crush on my son?"

Ok, this is awkward because my DD is 14 and her son is 15. So, none of my business and also, these things change at the drop of a hat anyway.

The answer to the question is "yes", except that the crush had ended weeks ago because her DS was a complete jerk to DD. They are in a theater group together. This group has 4 times the number of girls as boys and maybe a third of the boys swing the other way anyway, leaving just a few boys to catch the eye of a LOT of girls. So, it isn't any surprise that this particular boy has gotten some attention.

So, anyway, I got the feeling that this other mother wanted to gossip about it. I didn't exactly want to tell her what DD had said to me about the situation, and I also felt like it was not appropriate for me to be meddling. DD trusted me to tell me how she felt about this boy, and I wasn't about to disrespect that trust.

I told the mother that DD has been talking with a boy from her school (true), and I thought that her crush on this woman's son was waning. This woman continued to say things like, how cute they are, yada yada yada.

now, a couple of weeks later, the woman seems to have found another family to meddle with. It appears there is another girl in the same group who has a crush on him now, and these 2 moms are all about meddling to get their kids together. They recently became friends on facebook and they have both been posting pictures of these to love birds.

In the end, I'm really glad I kept that conversation as short as short as possible. It just feels strange to me to be conniving with another mother to try to play match maker. I also think its silly because "love" at this age changes it's definition by the day.

Also, my DD would be mortified if there was any hint that I had been talking with a boys mother to work toward getting them together, much less posting pictures of them on facebook.

It just seems really weird.

Reactions: HM
DD14 has a 14-year-old male friend & his mom is just dying to get those together. Oddly enough, he too is a theatre kid, and by all appearances & manners, part of the 1/3 as well.

Definitely super weird. I guess big thanks are in order for tiny blessings that the kid was a jerk to your DD. It may have stung her a little bit at the time, but you know she's well clear of this offstage production.

DD14 has a 14-year-old male friend & his mom is just dying to get those together. Oddly enough, he too is a theatre kid, and by all appearances & manners, part of the 1/3 as well.

DH and I talked about this being a possibility. Knowing this mother, she would NOT be supportive of her child if he were to come out of the closet (kind of sad really), so DH says she is worried about that being the case considering his love for the theater.

Now, loving the theater in no way defines a person's sexuality, but we are wondering if this mother may be projecting that stereotype onto her son and may be desperate to make sure everybody knows he's hetero. ???

When DS was in pre-school, I kid you not, pre-school!, there was a girl in his class that really really liked him. She liked him so much that she told her parents that they should adopt DS so that they could live happily together forever; that my son was her favorite person in the world, more so than her dad; that she wants to marry DS when she grew up.

This was all cute until the her mom wants to make it a thing. She bought us gifts on many random occasions for no obvious reasons; offered to take us on weekend trips; and constantly talked about how cute the kids are as a couple.

I don't like that. I don't mind the girl liking my son. I don't even mind the mom joke about the kids being a couple occasionally, but I don't like the mom trying so hard.

So I always bought the girl gifts in return so that we were even, never went on the trips and eventually kept our distance and moved on with our life.

When DS was in pre-school, I kid you not, pre-school!, there was a girl in his class that really really liked him. She liked him so much that she told her parents that they should adopt DS so that they could live happily together forever; that my son was her favorite person in the world, more so than her dad; that she wants to marry DS when she grew up.

This was all cute until the her mom wants to make it a thing. She bought us gifts on many random occasions for no obvious reasons; offered to take us on weekend trips; and constantly talked about how cute the kids are as a couple.

I don't like that. I don't mind the girl liking my son. I don't even mind the mom joke about the kids being a couple occasionally, but I don't like the mom trying so hard.

So I always bought the girl gifts in return so that we were even, never went on the trips and eventually kept our distance and moved on with our life.

:scared: I was always creeped out about that stuff back in the preschool/early elementary days. Your story definitely takes the cake of any I ever saw. Yuck!

Ok, that's a mother who is WAY too involved with her child.

From what I can tell, the mother who approached me is like that too. She is the type that doesn't just drop her kid off at rehearsal and leave, she is the one that stays to "help"...Every...week. Rarely do I go in there and fail to see her standing around holding court. On the other hand, if I ever need clarification on some announcement or other, she will always have the latest most accurate info. So, that's not all bad.

I don't know her well, but I have been around her during theater activities and I get the feeling her kids may be teacups.

I don't see the big deal. In my group of friends we always are talking about who are kids like and dislike LOL. We always joke we should put so and so together.

I don't see the big deal. In my group of friends we always are talking about who are kids like and dislike LOL. We always joke we should put so and so together.

I don't see the big deal either, I think its a good thing these mom's have become friends, it gives them a chance to get to know the family of who their kid is dating. I don't think they need to know all the details of the kid's relationship but forming a friendship because their kids are going out is a good thing IMO.

DH and I talked about this being a possibility. Knowing this mother, she would NOT be supportive of her child if he were to come out of the closet (kind of sad really), so DH says she is worried about that being the case considering his love for the theater.

Now, loving the theater in no way defines a person's sexuality, but we are wondering if this mother may be projecting that stereotype onto her son and may be desperate to make sure everybody knows he's hetero. ???

I worked the stage crew in HS, and in my experience, that 1/3 was more like 3/4. Not that there's anything wrong with it. ;)

Some people are big posters of pics on FB. Plus with a camera phone, it is just so easy to snap a pic. I just think it is how things are now.

I am a not big FB person so do not get on their much too look, but some people on my FB are always posting pics.

Plus theater! I know dd's theater friends were constantly taking pics and video's, lol. So there is that.

I don't see anything weird about it--it seems like she was just making conversation.

Trying to play "matchmaker" for fourteen year olds is weird, but what she said to you didn't sound weird. And for a topic that you said was "none of your business" you sure knew all the details of the situation! :)

I don't see the big deal either, I think its a good thing these mom's have become friends, it gives them a chance to get to know the family of who their kid is dating. I don't think they need to know all the details of the kid's relationship but forming a friendship because their kids are going out is a good thing IMO.
I have no desire to become friends with the parents of DS's girlfriends. He's had 2 long term girlfriends in high school (1year and a year and a half) and while I was friendly with the parents, we were not friends.

I have no desire to become friends with the parents of DS's girlfriends. He's had 2 long term girlfriends in high school (1year and a year and a half) and while I was friendly with the parents, we were not friends.

Okay, not sure what your point is, this thread isn't about you. Obviously the two women the OP are talking about feel differently.

I agree... I don't think it's weird at all. I have a DD who is 13. Most of my friends have 13 year old boys. My DD really isn't into boys yet but we talk all the time about who likes who, who is dating who etc. The kids chime in all the time too so clearly they don't care either. When/if she gets a boyfriend I would like to be friendly with the parents, if for no other reason so that we are on the same page about curfews, alone time, etc.

I think she was just making conversation. And if her & this other woman want to be friends, why is it your issue? Clearly you don't care for her, so you dodged a bullet with your daughter not being interested in him.

This mom sounds like dd's ex-bf's mom. Dd and the boy were instant frinds when they began hs. In 10th grade they started dating. His mom was all about it being a long term thing. Dd has no plans for a truly long term relationship. She knows what she wants after high school and a hs bf really isn't part of that. Anyway, the woman was calling me to ask what they should do on their dates! She called to ask what her son should buy dd. At Christmas, dd told him she just wanted a teddy bear and his mom called me saying that's not enough, what else to get. I felt like I was dating her!!

Well, they broke up. It was several months before dd's birthday but the mom was ticked because they had already bought dd a $200 purse! I was floored! She was so mad that she told her son he wasn't allowed to talk to dd at all. The kids still wanted to be friends but she made it impossible.

I told dd the next time a bf's mom asked for my number to tell them I don't have a phone.lol

If a group of friends all have kids the same age and they all talk about who likes who or who is dating, that's one thing, but seeking out the mom of someone your kid likes and basing that friendship on the relationship of your kids is just odd. And parents should not play matchmaker.

Sounds like this mom just likes drama and wanted to get you involved in some. We don't do drama in our house.. I find it too exhausting.:)

Okay, not sure what your point is, this thread isn't about you. Obviously the two women the OP are talking about feel differently.

She was giving her opinion, just like you did. By your theory, why should anybody comment on this thread at all? After all, this thread is not about any of us.

She was giving her opinion, just like you did. By your theory, why should anybody comment on this thread at all? After all, this thread is not about any of us.

No, by my theory, people should share their opinions about the OP. JanaDee made her response to me about herself, so um yeah, it was pretty pointless since I wasn't discussing her and her ds's 2 long term relationships. So you would be wrong about my theory ;)

No, by my theory, people should share their opinions about the OP. JanaDee made her response to me about herself, so um yeah, it was pretty pointless since I wasn't discussing her and her ds's 2 long term relationships. So you would be wrong about my theory ;)

So everybody here who has shared any personal anecdote in regard to this topic should stop posting. Got it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter