Awesome rate with National for next week!

LOVETHATMOUSE

DIS Veteran<br><font color=blue>*~*Some LOVE from
I have been looking for a minivan for our trip next week (6/25-7/2) and the best I could do was NOT very good. I jumped on National last night with my Emerald Member # under last minute specials and was able to get a mid-size for $214. Hopefully there will be a minivan on the aisle (we get in at 10:00 pm and I find the minivans are there late at night). If not, we have a back up ressie with them for a minivan ($296). I spoke with a representative and she said if we go to the aisle and see no minivan, then go to other aisle, get the minivan and we are all set. $296 is the best I can find, but if there is a minivan on the aisle - we have a huge score at $214!

I have been looking for a minivan for our trip next week (6/25-7/2) and the best I could do was NOT very good. I jumped on National last night with my Emerald Member # under last minute specials and was able to get a mid-size for $214. Hopefully there will be a minivan on the aisle (we get in at 10:00 pm and I find the minivans are there late at night). If not, we have a back up ressie with them for a minivan ($296). I spoke with a representative and she said if we go to the aisle and see no minivan, then go to other aisle, get the minivan and we are all set. $296 is the best I can find, but if there is a minivan on the aisle - we have a huge score at $214!

I know. Even though we are not traveling until August, I often watch the last minute rates and saw the minivans at a great rate. Keep in mind that when we have rented from National in the past and there was not the size we wanted there, we have been sent over to the Alamo lot to choose too. Both National and Alamo had some good last minute prices this week, plus the coupons worked. I hope we get those deals mid-August!

That's good to know..even with an Emerald Aisle you can go to Alamo for any aisle?

Both National and Alamo had some good last minute prices this week, plus the coupons worked. I hope we get those deals mid-August!

I put in coupons for both N & A, but it says coupons can't be used..what's the trick? :)

I put in coupons for both N & A, but it says coupons can't be used..what's the trick? :)

Not sure, they were working earlier....maybe they reached their "quota". That is what they told me when I wrote about the August ones not working. Crazy.

I guess I can keep trying to add the coupons..I have a few days left before we go.

The coupons were working for my trip as of yesterday. We just picked up our car today in southern Florida from National on the Emerald Aisle. We lucked out and got a Toyota Siena. There were also Jeep Patriots available too.

Are you keeping it through July? I think b/c I am overlapping months it's not working for me.

No. Our vacation ends in June. However, they weren't working for a few weeks and then a week prior to us leaving they started working again. It seemed after Nationl's last minute deals came out for our dates it started to work again.

congrats OP:thumbsup2

re the 2nd res, do u have it linked to ur account w/national? i've always wondered if they (or alamo when insider-type res) would charge CC on file if you don't cancel the res.

congrats OP:thumbsup2

re the 2nd res, do u have it linked to ur account w/national? i've always wondered if they (or alamo when insider-type res) would charge CC on file if you don't cancel the res.

Is this what you're talking about? This is from the FAQ from the National website, so yes, if you have 2 reservations and don't cancel 24 hours prior, they can charge a fee:

Is There a Cancellation Fee?

Guaranteed Reservations: Cancellations are accepted up to one calendar day before reservation date. If the reservation is not cancelled, a No Show Fee of $50.00 (plus applicable taxes, surcharges, and lessor fees) will be charged to the credit card on the Guaranteed Reservation.

"No show"customers: if the reservation is not canceled within 24 hours of the booked arrival time, National will charge a fee on the renter's credit card for vehicles that are reserved but not rented.

Is this what you're talking about? This is from the FAQ from the National website, so yes, if you have 2 reservations and don't cancel 24 hours prior, they can charge a fee:

Guaranteed Reservations: Cancellations are accepted up to one calendar day before reservation date. If the reservation is not cancelled, a No Show Fee of $50.00 (plus applicable taxes, surcharges, and lessor fees) will be charged to the credit card on the Guaranteed Reservation.

"No show"customers: if the reservation is not canceled within 24 hours of the booked arrival time, National will charge a fee on the renter's credit card for vehicles that are reserved but not rented.

I didn't see that in my confirmation. Maybe we'll just forgo to emerald aisle. I'm going to call in the am..

I didn't see that in my confirmation. Maybe we'll just forgo to emerald aisle. I'm going to call in the am..

Yes, I was in your situation recently and did a search on the help section of the National website and that answer came up. Like you I didn't see it mentioned anywhere on my confirmation. I'm not sure if they really do it, but I guess it's posted so if they decide to, they can. I think I searched on cancellation fee and that answer came up. So I cancelled my minivan reservation and gambled especially since we are Executive Aisle members, so we know we can choose from both regular Emerald Aisle or Executive Aisle. We lucked out and did get a minivan that trip. However, we had a backup plan. We needed a minivan or crossover for the second week of our trip and had we not gotten one, then my DD would have had to rent a small car for their arrival the next week. But we did get a minivan off of the Executive Aisle, but there were none on the regular Emerald Aisle. Our next trip in August we are arriving in the evening around 6:30PM on a Friday night, so I think we are looking at slim pickings. So far the rates are too high for me to book for August, so I'm waiting for some last minute rates. Good luck, and post back how it turns out. You can post on the EA thread to let us know what's on the aisle.

The cancellation fee only applies to guaranteed reservations. You rarely see guaranteed reservations with National, guaranteed reservations may be required for specialty vehicles at limited inventory locations during peak periods. To make a guaranteed reservation you are required to secure the reservation with a credit card. The only place I have consistently seen them with National is in Anchorage during the summer.

How do you know if your reservation is guaranteed:

If you are not an Emerald Club member it will ask you for a credit card to secure the reservation.

If you are an Emerald Club member it will say on your reservation: This reservation has been secured by my (credit card name).

Non guaranteed reservations have no cancel fees.

The cancellation fee only applies to guaranteed reservations. You rarely see guaranteed reservations with National, guaranteed reservations may be required for specialty vehicles at limited inventory locations during peak periods. To make a guaranteed reservation you are required to secure the reservation with a credit card. The only place I have consistently seen them with National is in Anchorage during the summer.

If you are not an Emerald Club member it will ask you for a credit card to secure the reservation.

If you are an Emerald Club member it will say on your reservation: This reservation has been secured by my (credit card name).

Since we are EA members, all of our reservations are guaranteed if we make them through our account since we have a credit card on our account, correct?

I don't see that on my reservation..where would it be? Also, our flight isn't arriving till 10:00 pm on Saturday. I have found in the past two trips, that there are alot of minivans there since Saturday is a big travel day, and since we are arriving after most people leave, there "should" be minivans for us..

yes, that's it:thumbsup2, couldn't remember if it was a fee or 1 day rental and didn't know if there was a difference between Ex & Ea

i was trying to gently throw it out there to the OP (anybody else who didn't know) jik they weren't aware, didn't want to come off sounding preachy re double booking. i always wind up booking national (very early when it's far more expensive than other agencies) but always also book a back up with 'somebody' jik it doesn't drop before any given trip.

i assume alamo has the same policy in effect for insider-deals?

Since we are EA members, all of our reservations are guaranteed if we make them through our account since we have a credit card on our account, correct?

No, it is a little confusing for Emerald Club members. The credit card is just part of your profile, not used to secure the reservation. Unless it specifically mentions in your reservation it is secured by a credit card it is not guaranteed.

National need to do a better job of clarifying this for EC members. My guess is they have not bothered as there are so few guaranteed reservations.

Here is an example of a guaranteed res:

Confirmation # 7xxxxxxxx
Here's what you do to pick up your car:
Directions for ANCHORAGE ARPT

Rental Information
Name: John Smith
E-mail: jsmith-hotmail.com
Emerald ID: 6xxxxxxxxx

This reservation has been secured by my AMERICANEXPRESS(Ending in xxxx)

Vehicle Type: 7-Passenger Minivan - 5-Door/Automatic/Air - Dodge Grand Caravan Or Similar

Pickup Information

Notice the bold text - this specifies the guarantee - otherwise there is no cancel fee. Alamo have the same policy on cancel fees - only guaranteed reservations.

No, it is a little confusing for Emerald Club members. The credit card is just part of your profile, not used to secure the reservation. Unless it specifically mentions in your reservation it is secured by a credit card it is not guaranteed.

National need to do a better job of clarifying this for EC members. My guess is they have not bothered as there are so few guaranteed reservations.

Here is an example of a guaranteed res:

Confirmation # 7xxxxxxxx
Here's what you do to pick up your car:
Directions for ANCHORAGE ARPT

Rental Information
Name: John Smith
E-mail: jsmith-hotmail.com
Emerald ID: 6xxxxxxxxx

This reservation has been secured by my AMERICANEXPRESS(Ending in xxxx)

Vehicle Type: 7-Passenger Minivan - 5-Door/Automatic/Air - Dodge Grand Caravan Or Similar

Pickup Information

Notice the bold text - this specifies the guarantee - otherwise there is no cancel fee. Alamo have the same policy on cancel fees - only guaranteed reservations.

Thanks, I looked at a minivan rental I had recently, but cancelled and it does not have that phrase in it. So I guess some locations will apply the fee while others will not. I always get a little nervous when they already have access to my cc in my profile.

I called both National 800 line and the counter of MCO last night. Both men I spoke to said they do not charge a cancellation fee if the car is not picked up. I told them both of my situation and they both said that a cancellation is not necessary, but as a courtesy to call and let them the ressie number that is not being used so they can free up that car. They hold the cars for a few hours after the ressie time and if that call is made, it would free up another vehicle for someone needing a last minute rental.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter