Away from NOLA

wgwtgb

DIS Veteran
Hi! I'm from a little town about 45 minutes from New Orleans. I know lots of people come to the Big Easy to vacation, but we would like to get away from it. DS is 9 and DD is going to be 3 next month... soooooo... we would like to take a trip that would take us no more than approximately 5 hrs. to get to and would like to keep our budget around $1,000-$1500. Wish we could afford Disney this year, but we'll have to settle for whatever you guys suggest. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!!:goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes

I'd try to get in a trip to the Florida Gulf coast before the oil hits. Destin or Ft. Walton. Don't know what hotel rates are like these days, but I bet you could stay in that budget.

Try Houston I think they are about five hours away. I think they have a Six Flags. If you head toward Florida, try Pensacola its about three to five hours away depending where you live. (Sorry I did not read the whole post on price, the hotels on the beach are going to cost you around 200 per night. It's more expensive to go to the beach in my opinion than to Disney.) One thing we do when we stay in Pensacola is drive to Alabama and eat at Lamberts (where they throw the rolls at you), its about 30 min or less from Pensacola. Something to do kind of local is go to Baton Rouge they have the water parks, though we have never been there before. They also have LASM (Louisiana Science Museum) which is a nice place to see. Take them to see Mike the Tiger at LSU. Also, see if they have a tour of a "haunted" plantation home on the river. These are some things you can do on the weekend. If you go to Mississippi try Gulfport they have the beach and a waterpark. This is also something you can do on the weekend. Hope some of this has helped.

I agree with a Florida Panhandle beach. Tons of people are cancelling because of the oil, and it's nowhere near there yet. A friend owns several places down there and they have tons of availability thanks to cancellations.

Thanks for all of your suggestions!!! How long till disney... do you mind giving me specifics on the exact location of your friend...PM me if you would like. Thanks again!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter