Avoiding Washington DC traffic on drive to Disney

Brer Shay

Everything is Satisfactual
The most "direct" route for us from PA is to take 15 South/270 South/95 South. This puts us through smack in the DC to Richmond corridor on a Saturday morning. We could take 15 South to 17 South looping from Frederick, MD to Fredericksburg, VA adding only a few miles to the trip. I know that 17 is often only a one lane each way road though. Which way have you driven and what route do you suggest we use and/or avoid?

As someone who lives on the I-270 corridor closer to Frederick than DC, I would say to take the interstates. On a Saturday morning, traffic is going to be light on 270 and there is not currently any road construction there. 495 always has a high volume, but handles the volume better than 270 most of the time. You might see some light delays near Tysons Corner, but nothing that would suggest taking the other route.

While I have not driven the other route, I imagine (as someone who spent 4 years living in VA, including working in Fredericksburg) that it will have plenty of traffic lights and other elements to bog you down.

Where in PA are you coming from? We just came home from Myrtle Beach on Saturday and were trying to figure out the best way to avoid the holiday traffic. We ended up taking I-95 to I-295(?), the beltway around Richmond. We then got on 17 to I-66 to I-81. We live in Hershey so from I-81 we picked up I-83 to get home. Looking at the map it seems really out of the way, but I know we saved time because the traffic was very heavy on Saturday and I can't imagine how busy the traffic was around the DC area with the 4th of July holiday. I don't know if I'd go this way all the time, but if you are looking to avoid traffic you shouldn't encounter much this way as it avoids the major cities.

I would stay on the interstates. Even if it's just a few miles difference you will add a lot of time. On Saturdays the routes should be pretty clear although you may hit some delays on the western side of I-495 near the new Metro construction. Rt 15 out of PA to Frederick is, IMHO, a very slow route especially going through Frederick town itself. Lots of un-synchronized stop lights.

We have a GPS that shows any slow traffic or backups on the interstates going around DC and VA. When we see the backups on the GPS we always get off of the interstate and take another route. We headed down to Myrtle Beach from the Baltimore area on this pass Saturday. Being a holiday weekend the traffic started earlier then normal, so instead of the interstates we took Route 301 and it got us straight through to the Richmond area with no problems, then we got back onto route 95. There was backups on Rt. 95 which we never hit. Route 301 might take a little longer due to traffic lights but it's better then sitting in traffic on the interstate.

Run the interstates on saturday morning. But when you get on the beltway keep your foot in it and drive NASCAR style. Alot of the backups are caused by drivers that don't understand how to drive 70mph 4 wide.

Rt 15 out of PA to Frederick is, IMHO, a very slow route especially going through Frederick town itself. Lots of un-synchronized stop lights.

:confused3

There aren't any traffic lights on RT 15 going through Frederick.

I have never experienced any problems on RT 15 from PA to Frederick, except going through Frederick itself at rush hour. There shouldn't be any problem on a Saturday morning.

On a Saturday morning, traffic is going to be light on 270 and there is not currently any road construction there.

Yes, there is construction on 270 just south of Frederick near exit 26 (Urbana).

Check out the thread for 2000+ miles round-trip drivers only (II). There are many people on there from PA and can give you good advice. Be sure to post where in PA you are leaving from.

:thumbsup2

Check out the thread for 2000+ miles round-trip drivers only (II). There are many people on there from PA and can give you good advice. Be sure to post where in PA you are leaving from.

:thumbsup2

Yes, this!!!!! Come on over, believe me you will get more advice than you could imagine :lmao:

I would stay on the interstates. Even if it's just a few miles difference you will add a lot of time. On Saturdays the routes should be pretty clear although you may hit some delays on the western side of I-495 near the new Metro construction. Rt 15 out of PA to Frederick is, IMHO, a very slow route especially going through Frederick town itself. Lots of un-synchronized stop lights.

Not True. Saturdays on 95 from DC to Richmond can be bumper to bumper, literally, all day. You MUST clear DC no later than 8 - 9 AM or you'll take at least double the normal time.

I posted on the 2000+ driver thread about our backup at 6:45 AM on Saturday June 18. Took 2 hours to go 7 miles. No matter what you decide, DO NOT use 495 west under any circumstances. The lane closures will open by 9, but if you wait until then, you'll get stuck in the Virginia beach traffic on 95.

I recently took Rt. 15 South to 17 on Memorial Day weekend (coming from Frederick) while heading to Richmond. Sure, we hit lights in Virginia as we got further down, but it actually was a very nice drive and beat driving through Northern Virginia. The lights added very little time onto the trip. We'll probably take that way from now on.

Thanks for the input. I grew up on the 270 corridor and remember summer beach traffic making Saturdays on 495 horrible. Since there are even more people there now, I'm thinking it's certainly worse. I'll check out the 2,000+ mile thread as well.

I recently took Rt. 15 South to 17 on Memorial Day weekend (coming from Frederick) while heading to Richmond. Sure, we hit lights in Virginia as we got further down, but it actually was a very nice drive and beat driving through Northern Virginia. The lights added very little time onto the trip. We'll probably take that way from now on.

Good to hear. I'm somewhat leaning toward this option myself.

We are just north of Philly and will be traveling down to Lorton, VA to take the Auto Train on a Saturday in mid-August.

Google Maps has us taking the Blue Route to I95 down through to Baltimore then jumping on I895 (Harbor Tunnel Throughway) to MD295 (Baltimore-Washington Pkwy) through DC to the Woodrow Wilson Memorial Bridge (I495) to Rt1/295 (Richmond Hwy).

Is this a better option than shooting straight down I95 and going around the west side of DC?

Google Maps is saying that their suggested way is 3hrs, 18min and that going down I95 the whole way is only 3 minutes longer?? :confused3

Either way we NEED to be there before 2pm otherwise we can't board the train (oversized vehicles board by 2pm, regular 3pm).

I REALLY don't want to miss the 2pm cut off. I was thinking about leaving at 8am and allowing 6hrs...if we get there early we can wait at the station.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Where is the construction zone and what portions of the 495 loop (I am not DC driving literate) should we be concerned about?

there are no lights on rt 15 until you go all the way up into PA at Dillsburg. 15 is pretty quick from there down through gettysburg, but the speed limit does drop to 55 when you hit the MD border - but then it's only 30 minutes to Frederick where 15 turns into 270.

We are just north of Philly and will be traveling down to Lorton, VA to take the Auto Train on a Saturday in mid-August.

Google Maps has us taking the Blue Route to I95 down through to Baltimore then jumping on I895 (Harbor Tunnel Throughway) to MD295 (Baltimore-Washington Pkwy) through DC to the Woodrow Wilson Memorial Bridge (I495) to Rt1/295 (Richmond Hwy).

Is this a better option than shooting straight down I95 and going around the west side of DC?

Google Maps is saying that their suggested way is 3hrs, 18min and that going down I95 the whole way is only 3 minutes longer?? :confused3

Either way we NEED to be there before 2pm otherwise we can't board the train (oversized vehicles board by 2pm, regular 3pm).

I REALLY don't want to miss the 2pm cut off. I was thinking about leaving at 8am and allowing 6hrs...if we get there early we can wait at the station.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Where is the construction zone and what portions of the 495 loop (I am not DC driving literate) should we be concerned about?

I'd stick with I-95 all the way, avoid some of the tunnel fees. 6 hours will be plenty of time.

At the moment the biggest construction on 495 is in Va, on the Western side of the beltway. They're adding new lanes to the hwy and also laying new metro rail & adding metro stations near the Tysons Corner area.

Saturday morning can be just fine, although obviously one accident can throw everything off kilter. In terms of construction, you can check this URL for information on lane closures:
http://www.vamegaprojects.com
-- then click on the "Lane Closures" text in the left-hand menu. The big closures (those that are shutting down the entire highway) are thankfully being done at night.

The earlier you get thru the area the better (since as traffic builds, you know some bozo's going to get in a car accident and gum up the works...)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter