Avoiding snotty french toast?

marius97

DIS Veteran
I make a mean french toast...at least that is what my kids say.:) The only problem is that at least one or two pieces per time I make it end up with a big chunk of egg "snot" stuck to it as I put it on the pan. This makes me end up with a fried egg attached to the french toast. Is there a way to avoid this? I just use egg and milk plus a few spices. More milk? Less eggs?

I make a mean french toast...at least that is what my kids say.:) The only problem is that at least one or two pieces per time I make it end up with a big chunk of egg "snot" stuck to it as I put it on the pan. This makes me end up with a fried egg attached to the french toast. Is there a way to avoid this? I just use egg and milk plus a few spices. More milk? Less eggs?

Add a touch of sugar, and whip it a bit more.

This happens to me allll the time and I do use brown sugar, vanilla and cinnamon. What I do is hold the slice of bread with one hand, as if to let the egg drip off and quickly run a butter knife down the bread to remove all excess egg

Is there a way to avoid this?

I'd say whip it more. If you don't want to beat the whole mixture for whatever reason, beat your eggs a bit with a fork before adding them. I've never had that problem, but I beat the whole mixture by hand with a whisk pretty thoroughly before dipping the bread.

you can pour the egg/milk mixture thru a sieve before dipping to catch the egg that doesn't mix up--I do this with custard for creme brulee to make sure it is smooth.

Easy fix - combine your egg/milk mixture in a blender before dipping the bread in it.

I have a "hand-blender" thing. It whips the eggs very smooth! Works for scrambled eggs too - obviously - as I do not like using eggs that are not blended properly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter