Avoiding snotty french toast?

Discussion in 'Cooking' started by marius97, Aug 31, 2011.

1. marius97

marius97 DIS Veteran

I make a mean french toast...at least that is what my kids say.:) The only problem is that at least one or two pieces per time I make it end up with a big chunk of egg "snot" stuck to it as I put it on the pan. This makes me end up with a fried egg attached to the french toast. Is there a way to avoid this? I just use egg and milk plus a few spices. More milk? Less eggs?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. bdoyledimou

bdoyledimou Pop Road Warrior -Travelling they way they did in

Add a touch of sugar, and whip it a bit more.

4. happily single

happily single <font color=royalblue>Left foot first!<br><font co

This happens to me allll the time and I do use brown sugar, vanilla and cinnamon. What I do is hold the slice of bread with one hand, as if to let the egg drip off and quickly run a butter knife down the bread to remove all excess egg

5. lizabu

lizabu Disney Maniac

6. shalom

shalom DIS Veteran

I'd say whip it more. If you don't want to beat the whole mixture for whatever reason, beat your eggs a bit with a fork before adding them. I've never had that problem, but I beat the whole mixture by hand with a whisk pretty thoroughly before dipping the bread.

7. DeborahA

DeborahA DIS Veteran

you can pour the egg/milk mixture thru a sieve before dipping to catch the egg that doesn't mix up--I do this with custard for creme brulee to make sure it is smooth.

8. Zandy595

Zandy595 DIS Veteran<br><font color=green>The other day I f

Easy fix - combine your egg/milk mixture in a blender before dipping the bread in it.

9. clh2

clh2 <font color=green>I am the Pixie Stick NARC at my

I have a "hand-blender" thing. It whips the eggs very smooth! Works for scrambled eggs too - obviously - as I do not like using eggs that are not blended properly.