Avoiding Illuminations Exit Crowds?

SuzEm

Mouseketeer
I'll be traveling with my 7yo DD in early June to WDW-planning to see Illuminations one evening. I would like to avoid the exit crush crowd afterwards, but yet still get back to our resort at a fairly reasonable hour. Is using the International Gateway to Boardwalk Inn or Y&BC Resort and taking a taxi to CBR a good exit strategy? I don't mind paying taxi fare if it means avoiding the worst of the crowds.

I can't comment on the taxi idea, but we stay at the YC/BC or Boardwalk, and we've never had a problem with the crowds when exiting through the International Gateway. That's one of the things we love about staying in that area.

Erika

It's a good strategy. The walk from the IG to one of the EPCOT resorts is 5 - 10 minutes and will be relatively uncrowded even after Illuminations. The taxi will be quick - you'll probably be back at your room before someone who left at the same time even gets on the bus! Expect to pay $10-$12 for the taxi, including a tip.

Enjoy your trip!

If you use the gateway to get to one of the Epcot resorts how could you then get to CBR? Would it be worth trying?

Thanks for the confirmation! It's definitely worth that much to me to avoid the crowd! I think I'll go to BW Resort since it seems to be the closest to CBR.

Originally posted by crusin'minnie
If you use the gateway to get to one of the Epcot resorts how could you then get to CBR? Would it be worth trying?

You would either have to get a taxi or take a bus to Downtown Disney, then transfer to CBR. To make it worth it, I would hang around the Boardwalk for a little while, stop in the bakery or ice cream store (my favorite thing to do after Illuminations ;) ).

Oooohhhh! Bakery! I didn't remember a bakery on the Boardwalk. That would be a great stop for next morning's breakfast before we grab a taxi! Wonderful suggestion!

One of the neatest things my family and I did one night was to hang out after Illuminations was over. It is pretty cool to see the promenade at night, uncrowded.

Many of the shops, both in World Showcase and Future World, are still open, though many of the food sellers are closed, there is always shopping. MouseGear in Future World comes to mind.

Of course, if you're looking for the quick way out, I agree with many of the posters, use the International Gateway and walk to the Boardwalk Inn, then taxi to CBR.

Regards,

The other Emporer

So far, we have been lucky, the big fountain has always been on when we've been there.

We watch the show from the top of the lagoon, then meander over to the fountain and let him go wild for an hour while we sit and chat. Usually by that time the crowd has thinned considerably. We just carry his PJ's with us, along with a towel, and put him into them when it's time to go. We have him brush his teeth in one of the restrooms, then plop him in the stroller and stroll right out the gate, though in our case, the gate in question is usually the IG, which is absolutely deserted that long after the show ends. He's always asleep in minutes.

Unlike the resorts, the Boardwalk is an entertainment area, parking there isn't timed, so if you want to drive and park there, you usually can, even use valet parking if you want to minimize the bother. As a courtesy, we make it a point to park well at the back of the lot if we are not staying there, so as to leave the nearer-in spaces for the guests at those resorts.

For those staying at CSR, the IG strategy is especially good, as there is a dedicated CSR/Boardwalk bus. (Well, at least there used to be.)

Originally posted by NotUrsula
...(snip).....For those staying at CSR, the IG strategy is especially good, as there is a dedicated CSR/Boardwalk bus. (Well, at least there used to be.)

The direct bus route between the CSR and Boardwalk was discontinued. :( According to Tyler (aka Chip 'n Dale Express, a Disney bus driver), it won't be back.

What we did when we stayed at the WL in Sept was to leave from the Int Gateway and meander around the boardwalk. Then we got a pizza from Tubbi's at the Dolphin (GREAT pizza!) and caught a cab back to the lodge. We had a quick ride "home" and a cheap dinner after a night at the parks.

The bakery sounds like a good idea, too.

Originally posted by SuzEm
Is using the International Gateway to Boardwalk Inn or Y&BC Resort and taking a taxi to CBR a good exit strategy?

One thing to remember, (learned the hard way).

If you do decide to exit towards Boardwalk from International Gateway, don't watch Illuminations from the UK or Canada. You don't want to get trapped, swimming upstream against the hoards headed towards Future World.

I have done it, and it isn't fun, especially in a wheelchair!!!

Andrew

Andrew,

Swimming upstream LOL! I did that once and tried to drag my 2 children behind me, people even yelled at us that we were going the wrong way.;)

Thanks for the warning! What originally got me to thinking about exit strategy was because I thought it would be nice to watch Illuminations from the opposite end of WS from FW. But I got to thinking how long it would take to get out! We've seen Illuminations from the boat and from the R&C, so I want to try a different vantage point, but I'd still like to get back to my resort by 10 or so to get my child in bed!

Andrew,

Thanks for the advice!! We hope to be watching Illuminations from the Rose & Crown. When we exit it will be with 5 kids 2 in strollers. I do NOT want to swim upstream.
We may linger over dessert or maybe shop a little until the crowds dissolve a little.

Cindy

One of the neatest things my family and I did one night was to hang out after Illuminations was over. It is pretty cool to see the promenade at night, uncrowded.

I had to jump in and agree with this. It is one of the neatest things to do and an experience all in itself. It's just so different walking through any of the parks when they're nearly empty. We even make a point of doing it now at all the parks! If you just sit tight for 5-10 minutes, it's amazing how quickly the crowds disappear.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter