Avoiding I4 westbound

I can't help you. But I've seen posts about this.

I can't imagine not taking 95 to 4. Might sound cheesy but its all just a normal part of the experience. I-95 south is my favorite interstate. Whenever we're on I-95 south, we're almost always headed to Ocean Lakes or Disneyworld. On the other hand, I hate I-95 north.

This past year I came down 95 to 528 at Titusville that shoots you over to I4 about 2 exits north of Disney. But be warned 528 is a toll road, was around 7.50 for our dually and TT. No construction that interfered with traffic at all, they were widening the middle lanes nearly a year ago. Was a nice route and we would use it again.

The 528 route in from the east of Orlando adds 17 minutes per when I looked at Google Maps earlier today.

You can take it all the way in to I4 or avoid I4 all together by dropping down onto Hwy 417 and pass south of the Orlando airport. Get off at Exit 6 and that exit becomes the big multi-lane (World Center Drive) that goes by the Epcot parking lot.

Bama Ed

The 528 route in from the east of Orlando adds 17 minutes per when I looked at Google Maps earlier today.

You can take it all the way in to I4 or avoid I4 all together by dropping down onto Hwy 417 and pass south of the Orlando airport. Get off at Exit 6 and that exit becomes the big multi-lane (World Center Drive) that goes by the Epcot parking lot.

Bama Ed

We left the Fort at nearly the same time as another camper and using the 528 to 95 route ended up at the same fueling spot in GA at the same time. He came up I4. So 6 eggs or one half dozen....

So 6 eggs or one half dozen....

I agree to a degree, Chris, but when towing, I'm willing to add a few minutes in favor of a better "customer experience". I went up through Cincinnati last month and had the choice of following I71 through downtown or taking the I275 bypass. I took the bypass because it was a WHOLE lot more relaxing even though it was a little longer. No 3 lanes merging into 2, nobody cutting me off because I can't accelerate or brake as quickly as everyone else not towing, no stop-and-go creep-and-crawl if it should come to that.

It's just a personal choice for me. :drive: To each his own.

Bama Ed

PS - hey, I come by it honestly. I've got an uncle who will go 200 miles out of his way because he prefers to travel on interstates rather than 2- or 4-lanes which might be more direct... :car:

Last edited:
I'm more of a traditional kind of guy. We like to drive the routes we're familiar with. Running all the way down 95 to 4 is how we've done it in the past so we like to keep the same thing going. We even go right through Jacksonville instead of taking either by-pass.

But we also will be traveling through Fla. on a Saturday morning. I'm sure a much different experience than a weekday.

I set my google maps on the phone up on the Phone holder on the dash and I go where it tells me too. Ironically, almost a different route each time.

Last time going down I ended up taking some new roads we hadn't taken before. I really didn't take note of the city, but I think it was around Jacksonville. All I know is we avoided a lot of Over and underpasses and elevated highways that merged on and off like crazy. I felt like I was in San Francisco highways. While the new route was unfamiliar to us (we have only made the driving trek to the Fort 3 times so far), it was a relief to not have to deal with the crazy roads/traffic through that city.

I will say that Google maps brought us into the fort some REAL SCREWY way last time. We managed to see a lot of the residential area of the surrounding community. PLUS it seemed like "Rush Hour" so it was crazy Stop and Go. Add to that, that my gas tank was getting low, and there as not an appropriate gas station in site. (Plenty of gas stations, just none for an F-250 Crew Cab towing a 37 foot camper could easily get into or out of.)
It did end up bringing us in the back way to the Fort which upset me, because we really like to see the Walt Disney World sign over the road. So next time, I am not setting the GPS for the Fort, rather for the Magic Kingdom. I know my way to the Fort without the GPS from there. :)

We always use I-4 and the construction has not really bothered us. We just go at non-rush times - not too much 'stop & go' then.

I left the Fort on Friday 11/11 waited till 10am. traffic wasn't bad, drove 4W to 95N drove straight up 95 and skipped the bi-pass around Jacksonville. I've found timing is everything when on interstate 4. Sambuster

When coming down from VT we always pick up I 95 in NY and run that straight through to Cocoa. Stop in a one of our favorite restaurants, then hit the beach stores, then it is 528 over to Disney. Even when coming home from the Fort we go back that way so we can have one more of our favorite meals before heading home. We leave about 4:30 in the afternoon and get through the DC area around 2 in the morning. And as for Jacksonville traffic, I drive to fast through there to notice any traffic. :car:

We go 95>4>417 at Sanford. We're coming from VA. We go this route with or without camper. It is a nice drive, little to no traffic, and you see the DME buses:) They are toll roads, but it's worth the cost to us.

Bama Ed

You can also take it to exit 3 which will take you under the big sign, which is exciting!

We go in the "back way" on local roads, from where we live in Middleburg (right off of Orange Park/Fleming Island, FL). Still a toll road, and it's definitely back there, but much much better than I4. It takes us about the same amount of time during nonpeak hours.. I've seen logging trucks and construction equipment running on these roads, so I think an RV should be ok, but don't quote me.

From I295:
Exit onto US17S
US 17S through Green Cove Springs
Keep right to US441S/Apopka/Orlando (then go 13.65 mi)
Turn left then keep to the rights to SR 429E/SR 414E
Keep left SR 429S
Keep right Exit 8: Disney World/Hartzog Blvd
After 823.49 ft, keep left to WDW

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter