• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Avoiding bag check

Shannon G

DIS Veteran
Going to WDW in September with my bff, no kids, and I would love to avoid the bag check line, but I'm not sure I can go completely bagless. I'll have minimal things to carry - phone, id, a bit of cash & water. I'm thinking that if I can get a small cross body bag, I could fold it up into my pocket, and put the other items in my pocket as we enter the park, then pull the bag out & use it for the day. The Lesportsac Kasey looks like a good size - does anyone know if I'll be able to fold or roll it up to put it in a pocket? Or have any suggestions for a small bag that will work for this?

Going to WDW in September with my bff, no kids, and I would love to avoid the bag check line, but I'm not sure I can go completely bagless. I'll have minimal things to carry - phone, id, a bit of cash & water. I'm thinking that if I can get a small cross body bag, I could fold it up into my pocket, and put the other items in my pocket as we enter the park, then pull the bag out & use it for the day. The Lesportsac Kasey looks like a good size - does anyone know if I'll be able to fold or roll it up to put it in a pocket? Or have any suggestions for a small bag that will work for this?

If you're going to be able to get everything in your pocket(s) to start with, what's the point of the bag? :confused3

Also, if you don't have deep enough pockets and security sees that you're trying to get a bag through, to the back of the bag check you go or you'll just plain old get into some trouble.

The bag check only takes a few moments, don't try to beat the system. Is it really worth the effort to try and get by the bag check only to possibly be stopped by the security you didn't see and told to go back anyway?

If you're going to be able to get everything in your pocket(s) to start with, what's the point of the bag? :confused3

Also, if you don't have deep enough pockets and security sees that you're trying to get a bag through, to the back of the bag check you go or you'll just plain old get into some trouble.

The bag check only takes a few moments, don't try to beat the system. Is it really worth the effort to try and get by the bag check only to possibly be stopped by the security you didn't see and told to go back anyway?

The point of the bag is that I hate feeling like my shorts are loaded down with stuff in my pockets, even if it all fits. Ideally, I'd love to find something like a reusable nylon bag that folds up into it's own little zipper pouch when not in use - I don't imagine how I'd get into any trouble for not going through bag check while having something like that it my pocket for use once in the parks. I have found a few that are a cross body or sling style, but they're bigger than I want.

Bag check really doesn't take that long. You bring a bag-you get it checked. Unless you want to shove everything in your pockets. I've never waited more than five minutes for bag check, and my most recent trip was during spring break. The line moves pretty fast. Magic Kingdom was my longest wait with only about 7 minutes.

I once tried to go through bagless with only my Blackberry phone on my belt. They sent me to bag check for a 1/2"x3"x4" phone case. Dumbos.

You can do it if your bag will fit in your pocket. I hate to go through bag check and always stuff my phone and ID in pockets and carry my water in. If my husband is wearing cargo pants then I'll ask him to carry a few things. They never check those pockets.

and another note...Even if you can fit everything in your pockets, it's no guarantee of avoiding bag check.

If your pockets are stuffed, they sometimes will send you back to bag check and request that you empty all pockets. Have seen that happen many times, especially when people are wearing the kind of travel shorts or vest that have multiple button-down pockets. If it's just a wallet in a pocket, that will go through...but multiple pockets, they may want to see what's in them.

Bag check at MK took mere seconds for us this week. I personally wouldn't suffer without a bag for the day if you want one, just because of bag check. We do arrive well before RD, though.

Back check took us barely any time each time we went. Worst case a minute- mostly we just walked through with little wait. I wouldn't not bring a bag- a little one really comes in handy.

Meg~ Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Thanks for all the tips. I really would love to go bag-free (love the idea of not have to carry anything at all), but I'm not sure I can do it. My biggest worry is whether my phone will fall out of my pocket. I won't actually need much cash, since I can charge most things to the room, and with the magic bands, I won't have park tickets to hold, so maybe it's do-able.

If you can go through without looking bulky, you can normally avoid bag check. We never have a problem avoiding it but all I carry is a small phone and a very flat wallet and maybe a comb and tiny sample tube of sunscreen. If I have keys I always gave them to DS and he would also have his phone.

I would think that a very light thin bag would go through fine too but you never know.

Yes, the Kasey will fold or roll up. It's all nylon & weighs very little. I usually take a Kasey, although I have never tried to avoid the bag check. :)

Like others have said, you still might have to go through bag check. I went the wrong way to try to get to the monorail (walked out by accident) and tried to go back the way I came. We didn't have a bag, but I had a small Ziploc of Disney pins in the front pocket of my sweatshirt & I got a lot of attitude from security. She even patted my pockets to see if anything else was in there. Also, as others have said, the security line moves pretty quickly even if it looks long.

I was once stopped because security thought my fleece jacket pockets looked too fluffy. One pocket had an empty plastic bag that I forgot was in there and the other was empty. My DH had the same type of jacket and nothing was said to him.

I was told I had to go through bag check with my little flat passporter pouch every time I wore it. But I think because it wasn't completely see through, I had to go through bag check.
This is how small it was: http://www.passporterstore.com/store/0966899437.aspx

I just give up now and bring a small cross body bag or even a backpack if I need to carry a jacket. Bag check doesn't take long and I like having a bag.

We were there over over spring break and with the crowds security was a breeze! Just a moment to get it done.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I had a drawstring bag that I just bunched up last week and went through and no one said anything.

Get a bottle strap/lanyard thingy for each member of your party. Everyone can easily carry their own water that way. Your id/cash take up no room in a pocket so I can't imagine that would be a bother. Then you just have your phone to deal with. If I am carrying as few items as you want to carry there is no way I'd want to deal with a bag. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter