• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Avoid standing in line to do tips?

glassslipper2004

DIS Veteran
Does anyone know the quickest, easiest way to arrange tips? I seem to remember that to charge them to your room account, or pay by credit card, you have to go in person to customer services and wait in line to talk to a cast member. Can you do it by phone instead? I suppose another option is to bring cash, but I'd rather not have that much cash with me. Please let me know your thoughts.

We prepaid ours thru our TA on the last cruise. Otherwise we have gone to GS (during the day - less busy) and arranged it or you can put cash in the envelopes that are placed in your room.

We prepaid last year and I am calling this week to prepay for our upcoming cruise. Then, I bring some cash if I want to tip extra....

You can call them (DCL) and prepay them, it is soooo easy. The same time I did this I had purchased a water package and some other items to be in the room when we got there. I also put money on my account so I wouldn't have any scary surprises when the cruise was over.

Last month on the Dream they had a box out near Guest Services to drop completed tip forms in. The tip "tickets" were delivered to our room later that day. Very easy.

If you are in a concierge cabin, your concierge CM will take care of it for you.

Can someone explain to me how to prepay our tips? We last cruised in May 2011 and we waited in line at GS. Would have loved to have spent that time doing something else!

Thanks! :goodvibes

They leave a "tip form" a few nights before your cruise, just fill out the form (they have the recommended amount on it) and deposit the form in one of the boxes located in front of guest services.They will send the envelopes with the amount you authorized on the tickets up to your stateroom to give to your servers and state room host. Easy.:thumbsup2

Pre-paying tips is easy. If you use a TA then you ask them to add the pre-paid tips to your account. If your booking is direct with DCL then you can call DCL and ask them to add the tips to your account.

I like doing this for two reasons;

1. it lessens the OBSS (onboard bill shock syndrome) at the end of the cruise

and

2. if you use a Disney Visa and get the 0% interest option - the tips form part of your cruise fare and therefore you get to pay it off on 0% option if you want - if you pay tips at the end of the cruise, you have to pay them in full with your onboard account,

Just complete the form and place it in the box. No standing in line required.

Woody

To prepay just call the DCL 800 # if you booked thru them as we did. Coupons are delivered to your room on the last day.We loved our room steward..he was extra attentive and efficient. We never wanted for anything and he had the best personality! I wanted to take him home with me, anyway..we added a generous extra cash tip for him.

The "late at night" trick worked well for us too! Walked right up to GS - nobody else there. I remember we walked by the desk the next day for some reason and there was a HUGE line!

Or just go a couple of days before the last day of the cruise. Guest Services isn't usually crowded, but the last afternoon it gets pretty jammed up with people settling their accounts and paying tips, doing it earlier it just easier.

Just to be clear, you can just add them onto your account and pay with credit card right? There is no way I want to bring an extra $700 cash to pay tips!!

Or just go a couple of days before the last day of the cruise. Guest Services isn't usually crowded, but the last afternoon it gets pretty jammed up with people settling their accounts and paying tips, doing it earlier it just easier.

I do the same. :thumbsup2 I go early in the morning or late evening.

Jan

in order to get the VISA 0% - does it have to be paid with/as part of your cruise fare. Or, can it be paid later/separate from the fare?

Thank you :) !

Just to be clear, you can just add them onto your account and pay with credit card right? There is no way I want to bring an extra $700 cash to pay tips!!

Yes.

You get a form in your room the second from the last night of the cruise. You fill out how much you want to give (They do have recommended amounts which you can amend up or down depending on service) and just take it down & drop in the box at guest services. It will be charged to your shipboard account. You will receive tickets, stubs & envelopes in your stateroom before your final evening meal onboard. Put the tickets in the envelopes and give them to the appropriate people. If you also want to add cash to the envelope you can. (if for some reason you forget to give out the envelopes your servers will still receive the amount that was charged to your account. The only reason for the tickets and envelopes is for you to have the opportunity to give it to them and them to have the opportunity to thank you. The amount is credited to their account with DCL.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter