Avocado allergy

I too am allergic to avocados, kiwi, melon, most berries,bananas and the list goes on. My lips at the least get itchy and worst swell along with my tongue and sometimes it goes to my throat. According to the allergist your body is unable to distinguish one allergen from another so if you can keep your overall level down tbrough the use of medications something that causes a mild reaction may not cause any at all.

Sounds like my son. He's had oral allergy syndrome for years, reactions to most raw fruits and vegetables. A few weeks ago, he had an anaphylatic reaction to watermelon. Now he has to completely avoid anything he's ever had a reaction to (in raw form, except for melons, he can't eat them in any form). It's painful to take almost all raw fruits and veggies out of someone's diet. The most healthiest foods on earth. :sad: And now he has to carry an epipen. I posted a few days ago on the DISabilities board on tricks to try to remember it every time we leave the house.
I agree with a PP that the OPs reaction sounded anaphylatic, based on 2 different system affected. Be careful, glad you made an appt to see your doc!

My ds can't eat avocados due to oral allergy syndrome, your reaction sounds more severe though.

Well I have come to the conclusion I have developed a avocado allergy. So bummed out because I loved having it in stuff and guacamole. Going to call my doctor tomorrow for proper testing to confirm. Within 15 minutes of having some avocado at lunch today I was in so much pain and felt dizzy and nauseous. Lips felt tingly and my stomach was bloated. Third time in the last two weeks and by far the worst today. Hoping to feel better by tomorrow. First reaction wasn't sure what caused it. Second time I thought maybe that avocado was off or gone bad since it was the second half from the first reaction. Today a totally different avocado the was perfectly fine looking but boy was not perfectly fine for me to eat. Anyone else allergic out there to avocado? I am also allergic to latex so not all that surprised I developed this.

This is a well known issue. There is a high incidence of reaction to Avocados, Bananas, Kiwi Fruit, and Chestnuts among those with a latex allergy. I'm surprised your Doctor didn't mention it.

I am sorry that your son has this oral allergy syndrome too!!! My allergist said it is from an amino acid that the foods have in common that lost in cooking/processing. I take a Zyrtec daily to try and keep my seasonal allergies in check so i can have some of the things that cause a mild reaction. It does help, i used to not even be able to peel potatoes without getting welts on my hands. On a brighter note my allergist also said that your allergies do change with time, maybe he will outgrow this.

It is very difficult because I love fresh fruits and veggies!!!

Wow! Most fruit and vegetables would be hard. My son is allergic to peanuts and carries an epipen with him. My doctor isn't sending me for testing because she said they aren't going to tell me what I already know. I am also allergic to latex. When I went for testing after my reaction to that the first time it turned out negative so I thought great. Went to the dentist about a month later and they used a latex dam on me to do a filling. I was so itchy for days in my mouth and my head. Hives. Crazy itchy. So latex and avocado are a no no for me and is in my medical records at my doctors. I sure hope bananas aren't next. I love them in my smoothies. Kiwi I like but don't eat very often.

I don't know anyone with an avocado allergy, but in addition to the posters above, there is someone on this board who seems to be allergic to everything. She almost always posts on allergy threads, so I'm sure she'll pop in with her story.

Guaranteed. 10 minutes and holding.

If there's a sensitivity, is it the oil or some other part? Avocados are very fatty and used to make avocado oil for cooking or other uses. Some of these oils are used in skincare products. If the oil contains the allergen, you might want to ask.

My mother in law is allergic to squid for some reason. Asks about it anywhere we go for food. Seems rather annoying, but to her it's life or death.
Allergies- true allergies- are always associated with proteins. Intolerances are much more vague.

Neither is well understood, IMO.

But that shouldn't stop you from doing some research.

I don't think I'm allergic to avocado but I know I am to coconut and banana - just had a totally embarrassing experience in Animal Kingdom!

I cannot tolerate coconut being in the area - my friend didn't tell me there is coconut EVERYWHERE except Dinoland there! I walked into a shop and took a nice, deep breath (I'm VERY surprised I didn't get a reaction earlier than I did ... I knew SOMETHING was wrong but didn't put it down to that stuff (I have no sense of smell and at that point, no sight so it wasn't like I could say I SAW it). I started heaving and someone offered to serve me outside ... I thanked her profusely but it just got worse - she asked what was wrong and said, "Oh, we're sampling loads of stuff with coconut in there!" Ooops! I simply could not stop heaving and then threw up violently in the bushes - one guy thought it was the heat and told me to stand under the mist but it was nothing to do with that. I'm going to have to get a mask (like a surgeon would wear) if I want to go there again - and i do! I'm also sensitive to bananas!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter