Avis - Post Cruise

SeaHawkeye

Earning My Ears
Just off the Dream from a 5-day cruise (January 3-8). Used Avis to rent one ways to the port and back to MCO.

Returning the first car to the Port Canaveral location was a breeze. I dropped the family off at the port to begin the registration process and get rid of luggage and this worked extremely well. I only had a backpack with me so was able to squeeze on the Avis shuttle bus while other families struggled with their luggage and children. My wife and children were almost 100% through the check in process at the port and when I arrived, we stepped on the ship.

On the return day, Avis was a mess. The line for the shuttle bus at the port was long...very long! As Avis only appeared to have one shuttle bus, the line was not moving, either. There were 4 ships at Port Canaveral, including the Freedom of the Seas, so traffic was extremely heavy. All the other rental car shuttle lines were much smaller than Avis for some reason (more efficient shuttles, more shuttles?).

Anyway, we chose to get a taxi (van, shared with other rental car passengers) to get into Port Canaveral. It simply worked so much better and was well worth the $20 it cost my family.

I don't know if this was a rare instance for the Avis location at Port Canaveral or not but it was extremely frustrating on the last day of a vacation. I would be hard-pressed to rent Avis on a future Disney cruise out of Port Canaveral knowing that the return rental could be a hassle.

One tip: if you rent Avis, Preferred membership does provide efficiency. There was a long line at the Port Canaveral location when we got there using the taxi. However, the staff asked if there were any Preferred members in line and got my rental agreement and keys to me ahead of a long line of unhappy renters.

Just off the Dream from a 5-day cruise (January 3-8). Used Avis to rent one ways to the port and back to MCO.

Returning the first car to the Port Canaveral location was a breeze. I dropped the family off at the port to begin the registration process and get rid of luggage and this worked extremely well. I only had a backpack with me so was able to squeeze on the Avis shuttle bus while other families struggled with their luggage and children. My wife and children were almost 100% through the check in process at the port and when I arrived, we stepped on the ship.

On the return day, Avis was a mess. The line for the shuttle bus at the port was long...very long! As Avis only appeared to have one shuttle bus, the line was not moving, either. There were 4 ships at Port Canaveral, including the Freedom of the Seas, so traffic was extremely heavy. All the other rental car shuttle lines were much smaller than Avis for some reason (more efficient shuttles, more shuttles?).

Anyway, we chose to get a taxi (van, shared with other rental car passengers) to get into Port Canaveral. It simply worked so much better and was well worth the $20 it cost my family.

I don't know if this was a rare instance for the Avis location at Port Canaveral or not but it was extremely frustrating on the last day of a vacation. I would be hard-pressed to rent Avis on a future Disney cruise out of Port Canaveral knowing that the return rental could be a hassle.

One tip: if you rent Avis, Preferred membership does provide efficiency. There was a long line at the Port Canaveral location when we got there using the taxi. However, the staff asked if there were any Preferred members in line and got my rental agreement and keys to me ahead of a long line of unhappy renters.

Thank you so much for this! We are renting from Avis both ways at the end of the month. We were planning on doing the drop off thing too so I'm glad that worked out. What time was your boarding time and do you remember when you dropped them off?

And thanks for the tip on the preferred membership... Just signed up last week!!!

Welcome back! Hope you had a great cruise!!!!

Our port arrival time was 11:30 to 12:00. I dropped the family off at 11:30 at the port and left all the bags with a porter. My wife (and 2 children) went through the check-in process by themselves. My wife had my passport and was able to check all the way in...the only thing I needed to do was have my picture taken for the KTTW card. That happened right was we went through the boarding process...as you leave the terminal, you enter through the Mickey ears into a hallway where the KTTW cards are scanned for the first time. They have a computer set up in an adjacent room where they'll take your picture...then you just join your family in line for the welcome aboard photo and you're on the Dream. I think we stepped onboard at 12:30 to 12:45 or so...it does take a while to check in, especially as my wife also did the kids' club check-in at the terminal. This actually turned out well because I wasn't back from Avis yet. When I got to the terminal, she was just at the head of the line for kids' club sign in so we finished that process and then our boarding group number was called.

Keep in mind: the person returning the rental car has to keep their drivers license or some form of photo ID. They will need that to get through the port and into the terminal building itself. My whole family has passports so this was not a problem.

My wife said dropping her at the port while I returned the rental car was the best move. The Avis shuttle bus is small...when families and their luggage get on it, it gets full and not everyone makes it on the shuttle. Since you're anxious to get to the ship, it's kind of a bummer to see a shuttle come and go from Avis without you on it!

Post-cruise, Avis will definitely pick you up via shuttle. The line was frustratingly long yesterday and we opted for a taxi van to take us to Avis instead. We would have gotten there eventually but we simply did not want to wait in line.

Avis at the port is a nightmare! :scared1: And has been for years, especially post-cruise. Do yourself a favor and stay far, far away!!

I agree with this statement 100%. In the future (and I will cruise Disney out of Port Canaveral again), I will happily rent a car from Avis at MCO to get me to the port. However, for the return to MCO, I'll look into other options...even paying $27.50 per person for a taxi back to MCO is well worth it to maintain your sanity.

Nobody needs to end their cruise/vacation with that kind of frustration.

I know this thread is about Avis, but Budget isn't much better, even worse IMO. I'll no longer book with Budget now due to our horrendous last experience. I didn't use Avis for our March cruise, due to the long shuttle lines I've witnessed. We're trying Dollar this time, our friends had a good experience last time, hopefully it will be in March!

Not our experience in December, waited bout 10 minutes and shuttle came went to store and got car no fuss no muss. I believe they have more than one shuttle. :goodvibes
Going to use them again in Feb.
Going to sign up for the preferred tip. :goodvibes

Ok, if you go from MCO to port AVIS. You do not have to refill the gas! less than 75 miles and you are all set. HTH. :cool2: :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter