• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

avis may try to stop free rides on reservations

Well, I agree with you, imagine that!

The multiple bookers inflate demand making forecasting more difficult, and overstated demand results in higher prices.

Ironically, with car rental prices at MCO this year finally get out of the unrealistically low dumpster rates, posters seem to be making even more bookings with no plans to use them, which in turn increases the demand figures which in turn can result in higher rates.

Time to put an end to that practice. The noshow rate on rental cars is staggering, and with smaller fleets companies cannot afford to be off on their forecasts. For many of us, it means repeatedly being told 'sorry no cars' because the company couldn't forecast accurately.

I also agree and wish they would get even stricter actually, possibly a graduated fee correlating to when canceled, no fee 14 days out to 1 full price day or whole rental less than 24 hr, etc.

Double booking messes everything up from cars to rooms to ADR's!

It doesn't help that many of the companies don't require anything except a name and email address...... makes it very easy for people to "no show".

Maybe something as simple as requiring a credit card "deposit" to hold the ressie or something.

Duds

The trouble is that no company wants to be the first, at the risk of losing business.

I strongly suspect that if some of the diehard rental car bookers here encountered credit card requirements, they would avoid that company. If one does it and everyone follows, great. (Like checked bag fees) But if one does it and nobody follows, the one which did it loses business and risks ill will amongst sites like this.

We are our own worst enemy...

Some companies are starting to "push" pre-payment discounts. It might make some sense to require pre-payments/deposits/cancellation penalties on at least the deeply discounted rates.

I don't think most posters realize the "outrageous" car rental rates aren't the current rates but rather the money losing dirt cheap rates that were available at MCO the last few years.

I can totally understand having a credit card hold, and some sort of cancellation policy. I just wish the whole finding a rental car wasn't like houdini magic...if I stand on my right foot at 2:30 in the afternoon, while closing my eyes, I'll get a great rate. But if I stand on my left foot at 9 am while singing, I will get an outrageous rate. Finding a good deal on a rental car is the absolutely worst part of my vacation planning. So I have to keep trying. I always cancel when I find a better rate, and have never had a no show reservation. But if it didn't require so much work, only to have the prices fluctuate so much....so far out too. Maybe it is just a circular problem. One causes the other which causes the other.

I rent a car almost every week of the year except when I am in Asia. There isn't the stress or hassle or drama that people seem to have here. But then again, those of us who do rent in other cities know that $350-700 or more a week is absolutely normal.

I strongly suspect that if some of the diehard rental car bookers here encountered credit card requirements, they would avoid that company.
The business travelers (and even many leisure travelers) won't blink an eye.

I wouldn't think twice about a credit card guarantee for a rental car. It would certainly limit no shows and triple/quadruple booking.

It seems by the replies here that freq flyers wouldn't have a problem with a credit card guarantee. Surprised we haven't heard from the other side yet!

I can only think of one international poster here who rents (or his parents rent) from Avis. I don't recall anyone here ever using them or discussing them; they aren't a common vendor here.

Now, when National/Alamo implements this, I expect more of an uproar.

I use Avis a lot for work, but my company makes all those arrangements. I almost always use DME at WDW (or occasionally National).

And I agree with Bavaria's earlier post...not uncommon in the business world to pay $400 or so a week. Again...there is a skewed outlook on travel as it pertains to the Dis/WDW/tourist crowd.

Now, when National/Alamo implements this, I expect more of an uproar.

They sort of have. The new Quacksilver (sic on purpose) requires credit card information and then ties that to your reservation(s).

Not a big deal to me at this point as the cancel policy is still liberal.

I'm a road warrior for work too and spending plenty of time in other markets always makes Orlando seem like a bargain.

It seems by the replies here that freq flyers wouldn't have a problem with a credit card guarantee. Surprised we haven't heard from the other side yet!

The "other side" is busy on the other thread trying to figure what kind of ID they can photoshop in order to use the government contractor rate. (Maybe I'm exaggerating a little).

I don't have a problem with a credit card guarantee but it works both ways. I expect the rental agency will have a car waiting for me. There is no excuse overbooking if a customer has guaranteed the reservation with a credit card.

It goes without saying any cancellation fees should be waived if our flight is delayed or cancelled.

I can't say with certainty, but I'm willing to guess that the majority of rental car customers out of MCO are leisure, not business.

Oddly, the rates I've found over the years @ MCO fluctuate wildly:confused3vs experience in other US cities.

When the cost of the vehicle is coming out of my pocket;)vs an expense report; I will certainly check and recheck my reservation to find the lowest rate. It's not uncommon to have a week-long reservation drop over $300 before the actual rental, especially if you book several months ahead of time.

National is our 1st choice as to reward program, will settle for Alamo in a pinch. I admit to booking them both initially as Alamo is always 1/2 the price of National early on for some reason. I then cancel Alamo once I've reached a level of comfort but certainly keep checking the rate of the National ressie. I go as far to check out the other agencies too, guess it's become a bit of an obsession:laughing:; yet it's one of the few expenses I can currently control for a Disney based trip.

Conversely, I'm all for requiring a credit card to secure the ressie and think a cancellation charge should be instituted (if not cancelled a week or two prior to arrival) and a 1 day penalty would be fair for a no-show. Maybe then we wouldn't have to play the game to get a fair shake when visiting Orlando on our own dime.

We know that making those extra reservations skews the numbers for the rental agencies. All the agencies are cutting back their fleets so I think the cc guarantee will eventually happen at all of them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter