• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Average Vacations In A Year and Average Cost?

We take two 2-week vacations each year...2 weeks in the summer, 2 weeks over the holidays. They each run about $5K on average, and it usually includes one trip to either WDW or DL, and one trip somewhere else. And yes, we pay them off immediately...no debt for us except our mortage.

Tonight is the last night of MINIs On The Dragon here in Fontana NC. We've been here since Sunday It will probably cost about $2500. We travel 7 or 8 weeks a year and don't really keep track of costs.

We allocate a significant percentage of my salary as our vacation budget. DH has 4 weeks of vacation/year, and I'm a teacher. The last two years have contained bigger than normal vacations. Usually we plan on the Christmas Disney trip and football season travel, but we're adjusting a bit as our budget allows.

This Year:
June: 7 day Fantasy Eastern Caribbean cruise
July: unexpected family week in Europe with DH's work
June: 7 days in Texas for DD's dance convention
July: 4 days at Great Wolf Lodge
Labor Day weekend football travel to Texas
Friday-Sunday stays at alma mater during football season home games
overnight stays at alma mater during basketball season home games
2 weeks at Disney over Christmas/New Years
March, May, August, September: 6 concerts (2 involving out-of-state travel or overnight stays)

We get 5 weeks vacation and usually take 3 to 4 week long vacation. This year we went to Disney in February, will be traveling to the beach in June and August, and then back to Disney in November.

Total cost about $5000. The beach vacations are cheap because we rent a house with 8 other people.

I tend to take long weekends (5 days or so) to see races for vacations...this year I'm doing two. One is a trip to Detroit for an IndyCar race at the end of the month and the other is a trip to Virginia International Raceway for ALMS. We're looking at a max of $1,500 for BOTH.

An all-out trip to the Indy 500 two years ago only cost us about $500. We are very good at traveling cheaply. We drive everywhere and find great deals on hotels. We share meals and take advantage of free things to do in whatever city we're in. I never feel like I need to spend a ton of money to enjoy myself...usually I'm just thrilled to get away from home and work for a few days!

One thing I like to do is accumulate some gift cards to restaurants, stores, ect in the months before we leave, so if there is a last minute money crunch we can still go and not have to worry so much about food or incidentals. Not doing that for Detroit, but absolutely doing that for Virginia. Our hotel is usually booked at least a couple of months in advance, so by the time we leave, it's already paid off.

The last few years, we've been incredibly blessed and had mini trips to Spain,and visited wdw every year-sometimes twice.
Trips have ranged from 3 nights (Spain) to 15 nights (wdw).

This year and next, we will be having main vacations in august 17 nights this year,21 nights in 2014.:cool1:

Spanish trips around $750, wdw trips vary, but around $11,000 (probably more,but I don't want to work it out!)
Our flights for next year alone are over $7000:furious:

Usually:
Disney January 9 days
Ogunquit ME April 4-5 days
Disney June/July 5-6 days

Some years we've also done a trip to visit fmaily in MO. We've also skipped one Disney trip some years and gone to Europe.

We try to squeeze a long weekend in in the Fall...we've gone to Freeport ME, Newport RI, Conway NH, Salem MA, Boston MA...something usually within a 4-ish hour drive form home.

With my parents getting older, we have been tending to stay in the States within a 3 hour flight/4 hour drive.

Well, looks like our current schedule is:

August 2013: Camping in Kalaloch, WA. $250.

May 2014: Flying to Indiana for brother's wedding. $350-400. The flights are covered by SW points. We are doing a turn and burn, staying the day of the wedding only because a few weeks later we are going on a cruise! :cool1:

June 2014: 7 day RC cruise to Alaska with sister, BIL, family friend. $4.5k. We hope to buy a 18-21ft sailboat when we return to use for daysailing/camping around the Puget Sound. $3k-$6k.

Spring or Fall 2015: Visiting the ILs in Germany. Probably about $5k when all is said and done.

Fall 2016: Either visiting friends in Clearwater, FL or going on another cruise to Hawai'i. Between $2k and $6k, depending on what we decide to do.

I will tell you our vacations for the last 18 months.

October 2011 all 5 of us at Disney for 11 days $7,000

January 2012 just the 2 of us at Disney $2,000

April 2012 just the 2 of us at Disney $2,000

October 2012 all 5 of us at Disney for 9 days $6,000

April 2013 just the 2 of us at Disney $2,000

So if you just count from October to October (1 year of that) it would be $17,000

But we aren't planning any more trip until April 2014 going to St Thomas for 9 days and that will be around $6,000 for the 2 of us.

We don't normally spend $17,000 a year on vacation. It just turned out that way last year. Usually we take one good one every year.

I tend to take long weekends (5 days or so) to see races for vacations...this year I'm doing two. One is a trip to Detroit for an IndyCar race at the end of the month and the other is a trip to Virginia International Raceway for ALMS. We're looking at a max of $1,500 for BOTH.

Our tickets for the Detroit Grand Prix arrived today!
F1.gif
The Cadillac Racing Hospitality package cost about $340 for two. We can park for free on the island and full breakfast and lunches as well as snacks and beverages all day are provided by Cadillac.

945787_10201046878085308_388055010_n.jpg

I got 4 nights at the Atheneum Suites in Greektown for a fantastic rate of $129. They really like us there.:) Valet parking is free when you belong to the I Prefer program. I tip them well to take care of Miles the Cadillac.
driving.gif

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter