Average Price Per Point

Tardisblue

Don't Blink
I was curious to see what the average rate was to purchase resale, so I exported the data into Excel for the current listings of the Timeshare Store and came up with these averages:

Just WDW DVC:

Animal Kingdom 81.50
Bay Lake Tower 110.29
Beach Club Villas 96.50
Boardwalk Villas 82.29
Grand Floridian Resort & Spa 146.00
Old Key West 75.59
Saratoga Springs 79.42
Wilderness Lodge 81.11
Grand Total 86.32

All DVC Locations:

Animal Kingdom 81.50
Aulani Resort 104.08
Bay Lake Tower 110.29
Beach Club Villas 96.50
Boardwalk Villas 82.29
Grand Californian Hotel & Spa 134.14
Grand Floridian Resort & Spa 146.00
Hilton Head 63.55
Old Key West 75.59
Saratoga Springs 79.42
Vero Beach 53.73
Wilderness Lodge 81.11
Grand Total 87.20

Why is there such a disparity between BWV and BCV?

This is much of what I have been calculating myself. Interestingly, prices seem to be higher than in December. I'm glad I bought when I did.

Now Owners of BWV and BCV can probably give you better answers but my opinion is that Boardwalk Villas are in line with the cost of many other WDW DVC resorts. The reason that it is slightly higher than OKW, SSR and ADL is solely based upon location near Epcot. Now BCV is also close to Epcot but it is wildly popular due to it's Stormalong Bay Pool. Remember, this pool is one of the few than DVC'ers can't pool hop to. If you want to swim there you need to be staying there. Now the one thing that stymies me about BCV's popularity is that it has no Grand Villas. Now, I don't know that I will ever spend time in a GV, but it is nice to know that it is available to me if I want/need one. And that 11 month window is very important in getting a Grand Villa. That's the big reason that I shied away from it.

I own both BCV & BWV. Beach Club is smaller - less points to be bought or sold. Then the pool is a big draw for many people.

Why is there such a disparity between BWV and BCV?

BCV is half the size of the BWV so there are less contracts available for sale. So even assuming that the demand for both resorts was the same, resale prices for BCV should be higher because there are less contracts available. Now I actually think that demand for BCV is a little higher than BWV just because of SAB and the closer walk into Epcot.

I like the location of BWV/BCV and while I like the SAB pool, I prefer the standard room point costs at BWV, so having BWV be a little cheaper to buy than BCV worked out fine for me.

Overall the price difference isn't enough to stop me from bying the one I preferred.

I was browsing the TSS yesterday and noticed the asking prices have all increased by $5-10pp just in the last two weeks! So strange how much the market fluctuates week to week. I paid slightly higher than market value a month ago but now it's right in line with the current prices so I feel slightly better about it...

I was browsing the TSS yesterday and noticed the asking prices have all increased by $5-10pp just in the last two weeks! So strange how much the market fluctuates week to week. I paid slightly higher than market value a month ago but now it's right in line with the current prices so I feel slightly better about it...

Last Oct I paid the full asking price for a SSR contract ($72pp) and afterward thought I should have offered $68 and settled on $70. But, shortly after the first of the year I saw SSR prices jump slightly making me feel much better about the price I paid. Now today, I saw a bunch of SSR contracts go up at $82 pp. And I know it's not an anomaly since I've seen them climb steadily since the beginning of the year. Feeling pretty good about the price I paid now. However, I really am waiting to see if the contracts actually are selling at the higher price. It's one thing to ask a high price but another altogether to actually get the higher price.

I've offered 10-20 less than list price, and gotten $10-15 off. Just an FYI. It also depends other factors like who pays maint fees, closing costs, number of pts in remaining use year.

But yes, BCV is a more pleasant stay. Smaller resort, harder to get into. I love BWV bc of the Std rooms (low point cost) and proximity to HS (easier walk from BWV than BCV).

This is going to sound a bit goofy :) but we like BC because it seems to garner a quieter crowd - more conventions and less kids. I don't know whether that's true but everytime we've stayed at BW it's louder - maybe because of the BW carnival venues :magnify:

Thanks for putting this data together. I've referred to it a few times in thinking about making an offer.

It'll be interesting to see how prices change in six months.

I know asking prices have went up but don't be afraid to offer low. I just purchased a ssr contract that was listed at 78 a point and I offered 68 & got it. So don't be afraid to offer what your willing to give for a contract.

A major reason for the price disparity between BWV and BCV is the purchase price original owners paid Disney. BWV opened in 1996 and most who purchased there paid either $62.75 (for about 2 1/2 years) or $65 (starting January 1999) a point and for many of those there was an incentive under which the purchaser could give Disney the first year points and get $10 per point off the price. BCV opened in 2002 and most who purchased there paid $80 to $84 a point (for a short period before opening the price was $75 under which a minority bought and it went up to $80 when it opened and then $84 a year and half later), and the incentive was only $5 a point if you sold back first year points. In other words, on average BCV original purchasers paid $20 more per point than BWV original purchasers. As a result, BCV has always been more expensive than BWV in resales since BCV sellers need more to break even or make a profit.

Last edited:
I know asking prices have went up but don't be afraid to offer low. I just purchased a ssr contract that was listed at 78 a point and I offered 68 & got it. So don't be afraid to offer what your willing to give for a contract.
Good Point. This new higher asking price is only about 2 months old and I'm still waiting to see what contracts actually are selling at. If I was a seller I would have done my homework and know how much my contract was worth and what I was willing to take for it. Although, I'd also list at a current asking price (particularly if it was a higher asking price than what I had determined what the contract was worth) and allow negotiation room with the hopes that I may get more than I expect.

My husband and I are finally ready to purchase DVC through resale. My questions, and my desire to get the best possible asking price, are definitely slowing up the process. I'm a bargain hunter and want the best possible price I can get. Perhaps you all could help me out (DH) is telling me to just hurry up and choose one...

Our family absolutely loves AKL, however I know that AKL has a tendency to run higher than OKW and SSR. I've asked a couple of sellers to go down on price for AKL - one person counter offered and one did not. Should I keep trying AKL - we want a min of 250 points and a max of 300, plus points we can use this year, or should I try OKW or SSR? (We go to Disney for two weeks when we visit and AKL is a must.)

We haven't been to Disney in two years because we had a new little one, and it's killing me :-( I figured that purchasing DVC is the best route for us. We used to go every year and our 11 yr old grew up on Disney, and we would like the same for our daughter. My husband kept trying to get me to buy in, but I never thought it was economically feasible to do so. (Now I know it wasn't feasible to not do it. With the money we've spent, we could have bought one by now!)

If we went with SSR or OKW, which one is economically better? We have an 11 year old and 1 year old and want to pass DVC on to them.

What kind of price do you all think I could ultimately get for each?

Is it bad taste to ask a seller to go down on price?

When I look for contracts to ask lower prices for, should I look for contracts that have been on the market for awhile now?

Are there any specific DVC resale companies that are more willing than others to help a buyer get a lower price for points?

If we had to purchase at a higher price, is it feasible to think we could definitely rent out some of the points to recoup some of the money if we needed to?

I know this is a long post, but I know you all are the experts and any help is appreciated

Well, I am by no means an expert as I just purchased my first DVC contract as well, but I was in exactly the same thought holding patterns that you describe above, so perhaps I can help a bit?

With regards to offering- yes, absolutely you should be offering! Treat these contracts as real estate transactions and remember that asking is always higher than expected selling price. We scooped our loaded AKL contract that was posted at $75/pt for $65/pt with split closing after a few rounds of offer/counteroffering, and it ultimately passed ROFR.

Looking at economically "better" options is a subjective idea that has been hashed and rehashed endlessly on these boards and others. There are multiple factors at play including maintenance fees, expiration dates, time value of money, ease of booking outside of the home resort window, etc. Ultimately, it seems that buying into SSR is a solid choice with regards to time remaining as well as MF costs; however, the "buy where you want to stay" adage is very true and should be a factor in your decision.

With regards to average pricing, there are a number of threads here that will show you what has been accepted as well as what has then ultimately passed ROFR. AL does not seem to get bought back at all. OKW and SSR were risky in late fall, but suddenly, all of those contracts also appear to be passing without issues. Contracts that have been around for a while are usually stripped and large contracts. Sometimes, brokers will simply forget to remove listings from their pages as well.

I would think that any broker who stands to make commission and knows the market would be able to guide you with regards to appropriate offer prices. If you do some reading on here, you'll notice that a few companies do seem to try to deter buyers from submitting what they consider to be "lowball" offers, even if they are reasonable by other people's standards.

You would be able to rent out your points regardless. Some resorts will command a slight premium when using a broker to rent out your points. AKL, SSR, and OKW are not in this group.

There is absolutely no way to predict where the DVC resale market will stand as expiration dates get closer, so you should not factor selling price into your thinking. We liked the 2057 expiration of AKL and the even later dates of the newest resorts (PVB, GFV), but others may see that as a hindrance rather than a benefit (more years having to pay increasing MFs).

Hope this helps a bit :)!

I saw that you got an absolutely GREAT price at AKL - that's exactly what we want to pay! We'd love anywhere from 250-300 points with points we can use this year as well. I absolutely love AKL and could live there - it's my sanctuary :-) thank you for the quick response and all of the info - I hope to get a deal as good as yours. By the way, did you have points you could use right away when you got it at that price?

Unless you will always book the value rooms, you would be better off buying SSR. AKV is large and frequently has availability throughout the year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter