The biggest problem I have it the theme. DAK is about animals and humans living together through culture and conservation. A movie about aliens doesn't really fit that

Having said that, I do trust Joe Rohde

You must have watched a different movie, because the Avatar I watched was all about living in harmony with nature and protecting the natural world. :)

i haven't seen any maps but i was bored and just looked, and this is the space the PP is talking about on the last page:

sp3TifZl.jpg

where the ??? are in the upper right corner. it seems to me if that is space they can do something with, why not have avatarland there and keep CMM where it is? i wouldn't think they're planning on adding any more animals, not since avatarland has been officially announced.

just wondering, please correct me if i'm off :)

... why not have avatarland there and keep CMM where it is? i wouldn't think they're planning on adding any more animals, not since avatarland has been officially announced.

They are adding a night time safari along with other night time activities. At the beginning a night time safari failed due to the lack of animal viewing. What if they just made another area with nocturnal animals for a separate after dark safari? Or possibly a combination of the original and an additional section for after dark. If a whole new one was created, that spot in the upper right would be perfect.

i haven't seen any maps but i was bored and just looked, and this is the space the PP is talking about on the last page:

sp3TifZl.jpg

where the ??? are in the upper right corner. it seems to me if that is space they can do something with, why not have avatarland there and keep CMM where it is? i wouldn't think they're planning on adding any more animals, not since avatarland has been officially announced.

I have always speculated that they are reserving that area in case they do want to add more animal attractions in the future. The area is very large, several times larger then Avatarland will need, and is already close to all the animal care facilities.

I am the OP of this thread. Just got back for a Cruise on the Dream and a few days at the Parks. Saw the Avatarland video and I have to say, it looks like it will suck just as much as I thought. Then I see James Cameron telling us how he is there busy filiming THREE sequels to Avatar

Uh........... :confused3:confused3

I haven't heard clamoring for one sequel let alone 2 or 3?

Give me a break. This is going to be a colossal failure and a waste of years of building that could have been directed towards more enjoyable attractions.

oooooooooh I'm walking through plants( I can do that all over AK

oooooooooh I'm flying through Pandora ( I can fly at EPCOT on Soarin'

oooooooooh I'm on a boat ride through a jungle (ugh, I can....FORGET IT!!!!)

It actually sounds kind of cool to me. It might not have been my first choice, but if they do it right, I think it will be fantastic.

I am the OP of this thread. Just got back for a Cruise on the Dream and a few days at the Parks. Saw the Avatarland video and I have to say, it looks like it will suck just as much as I thought. Then I see James Cameron telling us how he is there busy filiming THREE sequels to Avatar

Give me a break. This is going to be a colossal failure and a waste of years of building that could have been directed towards more enjoyable attractions.

Soooo, you're saying you're excited about it?

Hahaha! This one made me laugh. Appreciate your humorous writing.

Did you see the same photos and videos I did?! I'm walking through plants, boat ride through jungle, flying just like over California?!

Floating mountains and interactive glowing forests. What a lame idea. It has been done so many times before... like NEVER! :)

A movie that brings in BILLIONS (Note that is with a B and an S) is not clamoring for a sequel! I am excited to see the oceans of Pandora in spite of some dumb story line.

Not to mention that James Cameron is a perfect match for the Disney Imagineers: He is a genius mechanical inventor (He invented the new 3D camera everyone is using), and a driven artist who knows how to produce a product that is not only technically a marvel, but beloved by the masses. Attendance to both Titanic and Avatar were astounding all over the world. Both made BILLIONS.

James will work with the imagineers to come up with some amazing experiences. I wouldn't be suprised if he helps invent some new machines or processes to make it come to life. And his crazy, driven, artisitc sense that made him take 10 years to make a movie, will push Disney to not just do something good enough, but to do something great. Not that imagineers need motivation in this regard. I can just imagine that Cameron and the imagineers will drive each other nuts AND have a blast creating something wonderful.

Very wise collaboration on Disney's part.

Now that they have Star Wars, if they can just get Lord of the Rings, I will be a very happy camper for years to come.

Hahaha! This one made me laugh. Appreciate your humorous writing.

Did you see the same photos and videos I did?! I'm walking through plants, boat ride through jungle, flying just like over California?!

Floating mountains and interactive glowing forests. What a lame idea. It has been done so many times before... like NEVER! :)

A movie that brings in BILLIONS (Note that is with a B and an S) is not clamoring for a sequel! I am excited to see the oceans of Pandora in spite of some dumb story line.

Not to mention that James Cameron is a perfect match for the Disney Imagineers: He is a genius mechanical inventor (He invented the new 3D camera everyone is using), and a driven artist who knows how to produce a product that is not only technically a marvel, but beloved by the masses. Attendance to both Titanic and Avatar were astounding all over the world. Both made BILLIONS.

James will work with the imagineers to come up with some amazing experiences. I wouldn't be suprised if he helps invent some new machines or processes to make it come to life. And his crazy, driven, artisitc sense that made him take 10 years to make a movie, will push Disney to not just do something good enough, but to do something great. Not that imagineers need motivation in this regard. I can just imagine that Cameron and the imagineers will drive each other nuts AND have a blast creating something wonderful.

Very wise collaboration on Disney's part.

Now that they have Star Wars, if they can just get Lord of the Rings, I will be a very happy camper for years to come.
The ONLY reason Avatar brought in so much money is because the price of each ticket was almost double because of the 3D. It was not that popular. It collected a nice box office but it didn't really have staying power or commercial(in terms of toys, collectibles, ect...) success.

The ONLY reason Avatar brought in so much money is because the price of each ticket was almost double because of the 3D. It was not that popular. It collected a nice box office but it didn't really have staying power or commercial(in terms of toys, collectibles, ect...) success.
Haha good one

I for one am looking forward to any addition to AK. If Disney never took a chance then none of this would be here. As a pediatric burn nurse, reality is difficult to deal with on a day to day basis, so any chance to suspend reality and experience fantasy is exactly what I need when on vacation. Camp Mickey Minnie was a nice photo spot but beyond that a lot of wasted space, and FOTLK is getting what I hope is a larger better home close to Africa where it makes sense for it to be. No one knows at this point if it will succeed or fail but common sense tells us that if something is not attempted, then nothing will change and AK will remain a small underutilized space.:confused3

Are they actually CALLING it Avatarland? I love the idea of how beautiful this will be and how well it would fit in but I think calling it Pandora would make so much more sense!! Not keen on the name Avatarland! Kinda lame, not imagination! Pandora all the way!

I agree with expanding AK - 100% as I'm sure you all do...and as do most of you, I really don't get the Avatar connection...

Here's my theory: When I first watched Avatar, I was most intrigued by the beauty in the special effects of Pandora and how it was fantasy brought to reality.. I knew the movie was not good after about 20-30 minutes but I couldn't stop watching as the special effects drew me in and kept me interested...I think that's what Disney is going for here..

I'm more interested in seeing them develop the space and what types of special effects may be brought to life. Some of the concept art hits at a very fantasy like living, breathing, interactive land, not just more plants and trees...

3D tickets weren't and still aren't twice the price of normal tickets, it's more like 30% more for 3D. For the sake of argument lets say the tickets were double the price (which they weren't) and everyone saw it in 3D (which the didn't), so factoring out 3D it would drop Avatar's world wide box office to 1.35 billion which would put it in 4th place overall. Whether it has staying power and continued relevance it clearly up for debate, but it's hard to deny that A LOT of people saw this movie.

Are they actually CALLING it Avatarland? I love the idea of how beautiful this will be and how well it would fit in but I think calling it Pandora would make so much more sense!! Not keen on the name Avatarland! Kinda lame, not imagination! Pandora all the way!

Pretty sure Pandora: World of Avatar

I don't understand the hate. This looks great. While I can certainly think of other disney properties that I would like to see get its own huge area, this still has huge potential.

I like that they keep talking about trying to make it immersive. The avatar scenery from the film was beautiful and if they can capture and bottle just 25% of that , this will be a success.

I'm still waiting for them to turn the front half of epcot into Star Wars land. I mean, they already have a giant Death Star.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter