• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Avatar in AK- am I the only one not excited about this?

wishiwereindisney

Mouseketeer
Granted I have not seen the movie - I have zero interest in it. The CGI is too creepy looking for me. Tell me I'm wrong! The plot line sounded like Fern Gully which my sister made me watch 100 times in the early 90s. :lmao:

Granted I have not seen the movie - I have zero interest in it. The CGI is too creepy looking for me. Tell me I'm wrong! The plot line sounded like Fern Gully which my sister made me watch 100 times in the early 90s. :lmao:

I not a big Avatar fan but I am always glad when Disney decides to invest in its parks.
And even if you don't like the movie they may still have a cool ride or two.

Right there with you. Not the least bit excited. Hated the movie.

Saw 10 minutes of the movie on DVD and then turned it off. Awful! I'd love the new park to get done immediately so that everyone can visit AK which would then allow me to get on Soarin' at least twice in a row.:cool1:

I am indifferent..the movie was ok, nothing I would see again .I just wished they would invest the money fixing the travesty that is DHS or give the pavilions at Epcot some love that they deserve

I'm right there with you. Never saw the movie. Not because I didn't have time....... I had no desire.

And yes, I guess it might have some cool rides. But I don't really go to Disney for the rides. What I love about Disney is the total immersion in a world. And this world just doesn't do it for me. I honestly don't get this.

I guess the one up side is that I'm sure they'll put in some high profile ride, and maybe they can finally take Everest offline and fix the Yeti.

I saw the movie and enjoyed it, but I just don't know how this is going to fit in with DAK. I think I would like the idea of them extending DAK into the originally proposed beastly kingdom and include the Avatar stuff. I'm just not convinced Pandora-land will be able to hold its theme for years on end and not feel dated.

On the other hand, it could turn into something huge. Jim Cameron has 2 sequels in the works. It appears they may open before the DAK attraction.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/the-...ld-avatar-attraction-20110920,0,6919277.story

I am another one that has never seen the movie, nor do I have any desire to. At least the lines for Expedition Everest and Kilmanjaro Safari should be a little shorter in the AM.

I'm right there with you. Never saw the movie. Not because I didn't have time....... I had no desire.

And yes, I guess it might have some cool rides. But I don't really go to Disney for the rides. What I love about Disney is the total immersion in a world. And this world just doesn't do it for me. I honestly don't get this.

I guess the one up side is that I'm sure they'll put in some high profile ride, and maybe they can finally take Everest offline and fix the Yeti.

I mentioned this on the other thread, but if you've seen Dances With Wolves, then you have essentially seen Avatar.

Add me to the "meh" list. I saw the movie and enjoyed it, mainly because it is gorgeous to look at--particularly the Pandora night scenes. The plot itself is decent but essentially a Dances With Wolves retread, which itself is probably a retread of earlier movies I'm not aware of.

ETA: Wadecool just beat me to it. I'll reserve judgment on the AK plans for now, but it doesn't interest me like WWoHP did while in development or even FLE does now.

I really don't like the movie. I'm not too sure how this new land will work in AK but you know we will visit it at least once to see what it is all about. You know Disney does it right, so, maybe it will surprise all us Avatar dislikers. :rolleyes1

Not into that type of movie and nothing they do in AK will get me to go to that park....holds no interest in us to use a day or 1/2 day there......

Me too.... glad to see something new at AK, we only spend a couple hours there because its so boring. But Avatar, come on there has to be another classic Disney movie that they could have made a new section of the park after.

I wonder how relevant an Avatar attraction will even be once it has been built (which would tkae some time, no?). I mean, the movie is already "yesterday's news" so to speak, and it is only going to get staler.

Star Wars (and Harry Potter at Universal) are more enduring and make more sense to me as film-based attractions. Heck, even more Muppets stuff at DHS would make sense, given the new mpovie coming out this November.

I'd check out any and all new attractions, but this one isn't conjuring up any real excitement for me, and neither is the princessification/fairization of Fantasyland, either.

Not into that type of movie and nothing they do in AK will get me to go to that park....holds no interest in us to use a day or 1/2 day there......

:thumbsup2 Ditto!! We usually go to Donalds safari b-fast, hit dinosaur, and everest, and we split. Never more than a couple hours.

I have not seen Avatar but I think I will watch it now so I have a better understanding of the AK area when it opens.

Anything new at Disney excites me. I might be comparing apples to oranges here but Waterworld was considered one of the biggest flops in movie history and yet Universal Studios created one of the most popular theme park shows from it. Imagine what Disney can do with the biggest money making film of all time.

Plus, I think this moves AK closer to longer hours and the return of evening EMH.

I know the film made tons of money but wasn't all that enduring on the scale of Star Wars or Harry Potter. I'd rather they added more Star Wars to DHS. But there are supposed to be sequels coming out, maybe they are kind of hoping the Disney announcement will lend some synergy to the sequels.

The only thing that I am happy about this plan for Avatar is that in 2015-2016 when it is planned to open, my DS will be 15-16 yrs which might help when I need him to be still interested in visiting WDW. Because right now I told him about it & he is excited. Well I guess all those years of reading about WDW needs to have something for boys & no more princess stuff, there you go. It has been answered & this won't be geared to 2yrs-6yrs. I might not be jumping up & down because I am a fan of classic Disney fan but my DS will be:banana:

I have not seen the movie, because it freaks me out, but around here people who saw it, liked it. I do think Disney can do some amazing stuff with it. It is a reason to go back to Disney in a few years. Everyone is always whining about how Disney needs to improve the parks with new attractions. Lets give them a chance, and see what they come up with. I am sure it will be amazing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter