This announcement caught me way off guard. I was not expecting this at all. I'm most interested in the "new ride technology" that they say will be opening. They can't use the Spiderman system, and Universal has the right to Kuka arms for some amount of years (10 maybe? not sure).

EDIT: Someone on another board mentioned a possible heavily themed coaster. Sounds good, however if they go with a less family friendly one, such as a B&M flyer or wingrider, get ready to see the very first Disney attraction with required lockers, which I doubt they would like to have.

I'm going to repeat my post earlier, which is the famous quote from Darth Vader, which Rapstar corrected me on:
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

(Did I get it right this time, Rapstar?)

My problem with heavily themed coasters, unless they're designed like The Mummy where you aren't flying along the track through the whole ride, is that you whiz past the scenery without getting a good look at the details. I'd prefer a slower ride where I have time admire the details.

The problem is that at DHS other than TSM, there are no family friendly rides.The great Movie ride is tired, and Star tours has a height requirement.Honestly after I ride ToT ,RnRc and TSm I get the heck out of there.I have seen the shows so many times I could probably perform them myself.They need something else.As for Epcot, Look at the Pavilions..Imagination is a total snooze and a SAD substitute for what it was.Wonders of Life was left to rot, and Universe of Energy is getting old..It needs some love.

There is still more "family friendly" stuff to do at MGM, even if they aren't headliners.

The Great movie Ride. Backlot Tour. Muppets. BatB. Fantasmic. Little Mermaid Show. Indy Show. Stunt Car Show. Honey I Shrunk the Kids play area..... etc.

If you take out non-family friendly stuff at AK (Everest, Kali, Dinosaur), then you are stuck with the Safari (which has it's own issues because of the bumpiness), It's Tough to be a Bug (which freaks out some kids because of the bugs), Nemo Show, Lion King Show, Triceritops Spin..... and um.... lots of nature trails.

AK easily needs more love than DHS. You don't even have a fun "must see" event for the kiddies like the Jedi Academy.

(But yes... MGM still needs some love, but it's not as pressing a need as AK)

I agree on DHS, although I don't think the need there is quite as pressing as it is at AK.

I disagree on Epcot, however. No park has gotten more love over the past 15 years than Epcot. Is there room for improvement? Sure -- but I think they've done an incredible job in reshaping the park from the wreck it was in the early to mid 1990s.

I miss the early 90's version of the park. I'll even settle for the mid-90's version. The park has lost something since the loss of the Original JII, World of Motion, Horizons, and Sea Base Alpha.

Mission Space, Test Track, and Soarin' are decent attractions themselves, but there is a sense of wonder/excitement/curiosity/hope that the old EPCOT Center had that the current Epcot is missing. :confused3

I don't know what the KUKA deal is either, but if it runs for 10 years it would be up by the time Avatar opens. Spider-Man opened in 2004, I believe...
From what I remember reading when the announcement came out several years ago, I think it said Universal had exclusive use of the robotic arm at theme parks for ten years. I heard that's why Disney had to scrap the attraction based on The Incredibles since it would use the robotic arm. I'm sure Universal would renew the contract if that's an option.

I'm a huge Disney fan I am also surprised by the negative response especially prior to any actual detail or concept art. I myself am quite excited and love any growth Disney does to add to the parks.

From what I remember reading when the announcement came out several years ago, I think it said Universal had exclusive use of the robotic arm at theme parks for ten years. I heard that's why Disney had to scrap the attraction based on The Incredibles since it would use the robotic arm. I'm sure Universal would renew the contract if that's an option.

I heard this as well, but there must be some sort of loophole since Epcot currently has one in Innoventions. I think it's called the Sum of all Thrills or something like that.

I heard this as well, but there must be some sort of loophole since Epcot currently has one in Innoventions. I think it's called the Sum of all Thrills or something like that.

Considering that Sum of All Thrills is not a unique concept (Virtual Coasters on the robotic arms have been around for a few years now), I'm guessing use in that regard is an exception.

It's probably more specific in the type of usage, such as use in non-stationary applications or something.

Considering that Sum of All Thrills is not a unique concept (Virtual Coasters on the robotic arms have been around for a few years now), I'm guessing use in that regard is an exception.

It's probably more specific in the type of usage, such as use in non-stationary applications or something.

I believe Disney got a hold of a small number of them prior and can use those just cannot purchase any more

I believe Disney got a hold of a small number of them prior and can use those just cannot purchase any more

Hmmmm.....

Actually.....

http://www.kuka-robotics.com/en/products/systems/robocoaster/

Since Kuka sells the Robocoaster system as it is, I doubt they'd still sell the system if they gave Universal exclusive rights to it in a themepark.

I'm betting the language is such that the Robotic arms are exclusive to Uni in a themepark environment, but the Robocoaster system is a separate productline not covered by the Universal contract.

I wouldn't hold out much hope for Batman. I believe that Six flags has a deal with WB regarding the DC characters (Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, etc)

Going back to the OP, I'd love to see a replacement for T2, which I think has gotten a bit long in the tooth. About 10 years ago, I'd root for The Matrix, but that's pretty much run it's course by now. :sad2:

I'm not a big Star Trek fan, but all things considered, you'd have to think that would go over huge.
I know that Batman is just a pipe dream. It's just that Six Flags doesn't do him justice and with Disney buying Marvel...

Sigh... OK, what about the Lord of the Rings then? I understand that Tolkien disliked Disney but what about other themeparks? LOTR really needs its own themepark though.

Star TreK? Hmmmm... The new Star Trek movie was really good.

I know that Batman is just a pipe dream. It's just that Six Flags doesn't do him justice and with Disney buying Marvel...

Sigh... OK, what about the Lord of the Rings then? I understand that Tolkien disliked Disney but what about other themeparks? LOTR really needs its own themepark though.

Star TreK? Hmmmm... The new Star Trek movie was really good.

I agree about Six Flags not doing Batman (or any of the other characters) justice. I'd love it if the Marvel characters transferred to Disney, and the DC characters were aquired by Universal. How hard would it really be to re-theme MSI? Just think: A Batman overlay for Spider-Man...Hulk given a red and blue paintjob for Superman...Dr Doom's Fearfall adapted to the Joker or Lex Luthor...the mind boggles! :woohoo:

LOTR would be a huge coup for either company. I'd love to see it at any of the parks, regardless of whether it fit or not. As far as I'm concerned, they could wedge into WS, and staff it with hobbits!

Whereas I'm not a Trek fan, I do admit the new movie was very well done, and even I enjoyed it. :thumbsup2

I agree about Six Flags not doing Batman (or any of the other characters) justice. I'd love it if the Marvel characters transferred to Disney, and the DC characters were aquired by Universal. How hard would it really be to re-theme MSI? Just think: A Batman overlay for Spider-Man...Hulk given a red and blue paintjob for Superman...Dr Doom's Fearfall adapted to the Joker or Lex Luthor...the mind boggles! :woohoo:

LOTR would be a huge coup for either company. I'd love to see it at any of the parks, regardless of whether it fit or not. As far as I'm concerned, they could wedge into WS, and staff it with hobbits!

Whereas I'm not a Trek fan, I do admit the new movie was very well done, and even I enjoyed it. :thumbsup2

Well... as someone said in one of the many other threads on this subject on the DIS.....

"I Think LOTR already has a theme park.... Only i think they call it New Zealand. "

;)

I find it offensive that the author of that piece is calling a jungle tribe -- even if it's an alien jungle tribe -- "monkeys."

If it was a documentary about an actual jungle tribe, then I might agree with you.

all I could think of when I heard the announcement was: Oh, no...another Prince Caspian/Chronicles of Narnia "ride" ....:rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter