"Avatar" Attraction/Land Coming to Animal Kingdom

If it wasn't a link to the official Disneyparks blog I'd say this was a hoax.

And to be honest I wish it was. It really doesn't feel like a good fit.

Haven't we got enough blue furry mayhem with Stitch? ;)

it's a complete coup for Disney to have got Avatar that's for sure! and yes I think people far and wide will be wildly curious to see it, it will definitely increase traffic at their least attended Florida park, whether it will maintain that traffic is another matter.
I can't wait to see what imagineering will come up with for this, but I am keeping everything crossed that they don't try and cut corners as they do with so many things. I get sad when I see the outstanding plans that get halved due to funding.
it feels wrong as it's not a Disney product or franchise, and would seem to be a direct jab at Universal, but I still really look forward to walking through the world of Avatar :-)

I really do not see how it will fit into AK at all, surely it would be better in Epcot or HS? :confused3 What do Avatars have to do with animals? :upsidedow

I'm excited - it feels a bit uncomfortable with it not being a Disney film/ concept, but I can see how it would work in AK - going for the whole mythical/ fantasy creatures thing. Let's hope they back it up with some fantastic attractions :)

Not sure about this myself, I have not had any desire to see Avatar, and to be honest I still don't. From the way they've described it I can see how it would fit into AK, but maybe it would be better somewhere like HS which is easier to get round. However, it maybe that there is more space available to expand AK.

Harry Potter, I can watch over and over again, it's something I regularly watch if there's nothing I fancy on the TV (still feel very lucky to have seen WWoHP 3 days before the official opening)

I seem to be in the minority at the moment but i'm REALLY looking forward to this! :goodvibes I think a themed land based on AVATAR would be fantastic, it will really fit in with what DAK is about - nature, conservation etc.

The possibilities are endless, there's just so much to the film so it's very difficult to comprehend what exactly they will concentrate on.

& Animals play a MASSIVE part in AVATAR. The animals are apart of the whole eco-system of Pandora (the Planet/Moon the first film is based on). The Na'vi people don't take too kindly to their animals being killed other than for food, they're very connected to the animals - quite literally.

:tink:

I really do not see how it will fit into AK at all, surely it would be better in Epcot or HS? :confused3 What do Avatars have to do with animals? :upsidedow

I've never seen Avatar so perhaps I got the wrong end of the stick here, but isn't it fundamentally an environmental story? Saving a alien tribe from having their home destroyed by mining.

Seems like AK would be a fitting place for it if so. The park is about conservation, the animals are a by product of that message.

I think the land could look really good if they bring in the lush greenery of Pandora and had animatronics of the animals from the film.

I'm not a big fan of AK but this is something I would definitely have a look at :thumbsup2

Hope they publish some concept art soon!!

I loved Avatar and the imagineers could have a field day coming up with something.

If it were me I'd approach it with a Soarin type 3D mix - (soarin must have boosted Epcot numbers?) but make the ride move along rather than stay in one place.

Done well this could be a really good attraction and I can't wait to see what they come up with :thumbsup2

I seem to be in the minority at the moment but i'm REALLY looking forward to this! :goodvibes I think a themed land based on AVATAR would be fantastic, it will really fit in with what DAK is about - nature, conservation etc.

The possibilities are endless, there's just so much to the film so it's very difficult to comprehend what exactly they will concentrate on.

& Animals play a MASSIVE part in AVATAR. The animals are apart of the whole eco-system of Pandora (the Planet/Moon the first film is based on). The Na'vi people don't take too kindly to their animals being killed other than for food, they're very connected to the animals - quite literally.

:tink:

I'm with you. Thoroughly enjoyed the film and can easily see how fantastic the theme would fit into AK. Looking forward to more details.

ford family

I'm a bit in two minds about this.

I enjoyed the film a lot and I can see that there could be potential for an amazing land with some jaw dropping rides (if they don't cut corners).
The thing I am not too sure about is the longevity of Avatar. There has only been the one film (is there another planned?), so I don't see it being in the same league as other franchise's like Harry Potter or Star Wars. How will it stand up in 15 years time?

Kev

Apparently there are 2 film sequels to Avatar planned, and the park development should fit in with the second of these, but I'm not sure they will build as much of a franchise as Star Wars and Harry Potter.

I thought the film was visually very impressive, and could see how this could be built into a park, but the themes of it were very simplistically presented as bad colonial humans seeking to destroy peace-loving bucolic aliens and their perfectly balanced world. Little character or plot development, and after half an hour I just got irritated at being hit over the head with an eco liberal hammer.

I can see how the backdrop would be very impressive for a theme park, and how rides on or featuring the alien animals and plants could be very interesting, but the film also contains a lot of sci-fi colonial war elements which I don't imagine would be translated to AK.

I'm disappointed Disney are no longer prepared to develop and realise their own theme park ideas though, but are content to license and market other people's creations.

I think it's a good fit for AK, more creative than plonking it in DHS just because its a movie franchise anyway. I think it's really smart of Disney to be planning this now too, so it will be complete (phase 1 at least) by the time the sequel is impacting, and with a third installment already planned too, which will no doubt be phenomenally successful, I don't think there's any issue with the franchise not having longevity or a solid enough fan base like Potter.

In fact, even if Avatar didn't sustain longevity, as long as the attraction is brilliant, it doesn't really matter, how many average guests really remember Song of The South? but Splash Mountain is still insanely popular, because it's so good :thumbsup2;)

I've been trying to read up on this as much as possible. From the publication on the Disney Blog it seems that the answer to any question was that it is still in it's 'Blue Sky' planning phase. Now I have never seen Avatar but I am familiar with the concept & also with the fact that it broke records for money taken. So I am assuming Disney are taking that into account. Now the next two Avatar films are due out in December 2014 & 2015; Disney have said they are targeting around 2017 for project completion. This is a major gamble for Disney, by the time the 2nd/3rd movie come out they will probably be breaking ground for construction. If they don't do so well they will be pretty committed to this!

I can definitely appreciate they could do something spectacular with this. The beauty of it being the only "fantasy" land in AK gives them more room to be creative. Whilst I think it would fit better at Studios, AK is crying out for something to be added. What other choices do they have really? There are a few animal related Disney films but I don't know thy would really fit.

Still; if people are talking about AK. That's good news for Disney.

Not forgetting they had originally planned to have a 'fantasy' creatures based land at AK. It's why there is a cut out of a dragon on the benches as these were made before they decided not to proceed with that land.

So there must be land to expand; and it must be somewhere they thought would flow nicely in the park to boot.

With the annoucement of Avatar what new rides will we see? If it goes in AK, expect a roller-coaster type attraction,(AK needs another rollercoaster) but not a traditional coaster; Something with the flying Ikran. Maybe some sort of Lucky the Dinosaur encounter with Pandora lifeforms is one persons thoughts.
With the animals no longer visible this will this keep the park open after dusk and this is where Avatar’s planet of Pandora could really shine and keep guests in the park to spend more dollars rather then leave Disney property and spend elsewhere.

What do you think?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter