Availability of crutches at Disney??

Mommoo

Earning My Ears
My husband had surgery on his ankle two weeks ago and we are three weeks out from our trip. We wondered if anyone knew if we could rent crutches for those times when his ankle just said no!!

Disney does not have crutches available for rent, but you could probably rent them from an off-site vendor -- try Care Medical or Orlando Medical Rentals. I'm not sure how quickly they would get the crutches delivered to you in the parks; you could rent a manual wheelchair from WDW while waiting. Does he have crutches at home already from his surgery? You might want to just bring those. Have you considered an ECV rental? Last time I was on crutches I was in college but I recall crutching back-and-forth across campus was tiring, and I was in much better shape then; I can't imagine trying to get around a WDW theme park on them.

Enjoy your vacation!

If you have crutches I'd suggest just bringing your own, or taking a quick detour to a drugstore (if you can) and picking up a pair there once your on your way to your resort.

Otherwise I'm sure you can rent them if you need to from some offsite rental companies or look into a EVC if he needs it. I know being on crutches is hard on the body, I couldn't imagine using them all day in a park though I can see using them to get around a resort if need be.

The *average* guest at WDW walks somewhere between 5 and 10 miles PER DAY at WDW.

I've seen people do it on crutches, but it isn't easy, and what I've seen more of is folks with crutches strapped to a rental ECV or wheelchair.

Vacation is not supposed to hurt. Plan for - and consider renting wheels of some kind. (quick tip: if you decide on a wheelchair, bring a cheap pair of bike gloves to protect hands from blisters)

(also - you may want to touch base with his doctor about any travel precautions)

Here's hoping he will heal swiftly and completely! :)

Rent a wheel chair, scooter, or even a knee walker. If you get a scooter strap his crutches to the scooter for when he wants to move a bit around ie restaurant, just tired of sitting. He's going to feel much more independent in a scooter in my humble opinion.

I'd plan on renting a scooter. No way would I want to try and use crutches to walk around the parks, and I have been on crutches more than my fair share. :o

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter