availability changing

redleader74

Mouseketeer
Hello folks, so we are planning our trip to Disneyland. It will be a two day single park (Disneyland) trip. I've noticed not to any surprise the the reservation availability is less for the single park Disneyland than the park hopper. Last week I saw that the only available dates were into early July but surprisingly, today a whole bunch of dates opened up in early June. I'm curious as to what causes this changing availability? For example, are people canceling? I would expect them to be flying off the shelves so to speak.

Hello folks, so we are planning our trip to Disneyland. It will be a two day single park (Disneyland) trip. I've noticed not to any surprise the the reservation availability is less for the single park Disneyland than the park hopper. Last week I saw that the only available dates were into early July but surprisingly, today a whole bunch of dates opened up in early June. I'm curious as to what causes this changing availability? For example, are people canceling? I would expect them to be flying off the shelves so to speak.
It's possible they are increasing capacity so they are offering more reservations.

Today they released a whole batch of new reservations. They did the same thing last week. That’s coming from Disney allowing more reservations to be made.

At other times, a specific day might pop up due to a cancellation. I actually was paying a lot of attention this weekend because my husband gave me two one-park tickets on Saturday to use with my daughter as a Mother’s Day gift, so I refreshed the calendar a ton yesterday. The May calendar hardly changed at all - the 10th and 11th popped up for Disneyland briefly, and the 19th got DCA back at like 1am. But otherwise, very little movement (at least on weekdays).

This morning, I saw May 27 show up for Disneyland and grabbed it and did a little jig - but I guess if I’d waited a few hours, I’d have had my pick of days!

It does mean they’re increasing capacity, basically...

It does mean they’re increasing capacity, basically...
Actually, not really. But perhaps "changing" capacity. There are 3 buckets of reservations - One Park, park hopper, and hotels. They have held a large amount of reservations for the hotels. Then each week, they review the balance, and move reservations they don't expect to need from the hotel reservations to the park hopper bucket.

They can go up to 25% capacity per state guidelines until they’re in the yellow tier, when they can go up to 35%. And then June 15th we’re likely doing away with the tiers, so who knows. My guess is Disneyland held onto some reservation availability, because they wouldn’t go up to 35% until it’s official they can.

What’s interesting is that 1-14th has availability at both parks but the 15th and on is only DCA available. Leads me to believe possibly out of state visitors are reserving already, even though they’re not supposed to.

Ok thanks for all the quick and helpful responses.... Right now the word on the street (my street anyway) is that everyone is clamoring to get in to experience this possibly once in a life time experience of such low capcity. We've got a 2.5 year old and the reduced capacity would do wonders fro our overall experience down to just the general getting around aspect of the visit. FOMO? you bet!!

Actually, not really. But perhaps "changing" capacity. There are 3 buckets of reservations - One Park, park hopper, and hotels. They have held a large amount of reservations for the hotels. Then each week, they review the balance, and move reservations they don't expect to need from the hotel reservations to the park hopper bucket.
That’s a great point that I should have mentioned, thanks!

When June suddenly gets a ton of availability, though, it does seem unlikely to that that’s just based on “buckets,” particularly hotel, moving. Disneyland one-day or starting-park hoppers were gone, and disappearing within seconds when I saw them pop up yesterday. (June had way more action than May.) This far out, it seems like they likely decided to up the numbers - perhaps just slightly. Adding even 500 per day or something would not affect the experience much but result in a nice batch of inventory for people excited about the restaurant openings (which also seem to portend the expectation of more guests - particularly since they can now be counted in available capacity?)

I, for one, am pretty darn excited to see that Blue Bayou is opening the day I’m going! I am prepared to brave the madness for rezzies. My husband is going to be bitter, though. 😆

I, for one, am pretty darn excited to see that Blue Bayou is opening the day I’m going! I am prepared to brave the madness for rezzies. My husband is going to be bitter, though. 😆

Teeny tiny favor, :) when you go to Blue Bayou, can you check if they will be doing the off menu Disney specialty Glowtini cocktail?? It will be probably 2022 when I get back to Disneyland, but I'm just so curious. If not I will make do with the sparkling wine :)

Thanks for all the fantastic input....I gotta question on hours too, though I don't know if I need to start a new thread for that, maybe the answer is obvious. On the site, I see hours vary by day of course, but are hours different depending on whether you have a single park ticket vs. park hopper ticket? Looking at June, for example, there is a time of 9:00 Am to 9:00 PM under Disneyland Park and then 1:00 PM to 9:00 Pm under Park Hopper (I'm looking at the Calendar Vier of the park hours).

Thanks for all the fantastic input....I gotta question on hours too, though I don't know if I need to start a new thread for that, maybe the answer is obvious. On the site, I see hours vary by day of course, but are hours different depending on whether you have a single park ticket vs. park hopper ticket? Looking at June, for example, there is a time of 9:00 Am to 9:00 PM under Disneyland Park and then 1:00 PM to 9:00 Pm under Park Hopper (I'm looking at the Calendar Vier of the park hours).

Hours are the same for the parks no matter which ticket you have, but if you have a park hopper you can change parks at exactly 1 pm but no sooner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter