Autotrain LOVED IT!! (w/pics)

Thanks for the pics! Why, oh why can't we have one in our area? Chicago is a major Amtrak station!:sad2:

Tell me about it...Wishing they'd offer one from the NY metro area (and I do think there'd be a good market coming from NY). Ah, I'll just keep dreaming :laughing:

As stated on other threads, the Autotrain is marketed to people who would normally take a 2 day drive to WDW.

The further you go out from WDW the less likely you are to drive. We live in Pittsburgh and I think we are about as far as Amtrak expects you to comfortably come from i.e. a 200 to 300 radius to the Lorton Station. Many people drive further, but any further than us you would either have to start very early in the morning or stay overnight somewhere which now adds another day to your journey.

Also the 17 hr trip that it makes is perfect for this kind of train. Arriving at the scheduled 9:30 gives them enough time, with some wiggle room*, to turn around the train and get it ready to go back north.

Any further and it doesn't make sense. Right now they use two trains per day and I think 5 rotating car crews (not the people who "drive" the train but the car attendants). A longer trip would require a two day instead of a one day turn around.

Chicago would be great maybe they would add a Pittsburgh stop since the train would most likley come through here.

* We didn't have enough wiggle room for our trip back the Saturday after Fay. We found out 9:30 in the morning that our train was cancelled because it was going to be very late getting in that morning 7:00 PM!! We drove back and in reality the train back wouldn't have saved us any time at all. If we would have known about driving back we would have started earlier. Now on the way down it saved us a day. We got in the station in FL at 8:00 am and were at DQ by 11:00 AM so we had almost a full day for DQ and DTD.

We're doing this in March.. I keep looking at your pictures and letting my anxiety build. I'm sooo worried that I won't be able to sleep in the seats..
My DH can sleep anywhere, so he's excited.. ( how nice for him)

I just assume we won't be able to get into our hotel room until 3PM and I'll be
spending my first Disney day in tears because I'm so tired and I'll be so ugly without a shower and stuff. (am not one of those people who always look neat and tidy *lol*, I'm a mess)

The upgrade to a sleeper is so much $$ so out of the question..

Please reassure me.. it's gonna be fine, right? It's fun.. the seats really, honestly are comfortable?

The first time we took the Auto Train, we had coach seats. The train was only half-full, so both my husband and I grabbed our own set of two seats, spread out, and slept fine. When we got up in the morning, we went into one of the bathrooms and freshened up. It was fine.

Just an fyi...if you ask for an upgrade to a sleeper car at the station, it's a lot cheaper (that is, if they have one available). It's worth a try. We did this on our 2nd trip on the Auto Train, and loved it.

Thanks for the review!! It's definitely something we're thinking about doing for our next trip!!

I wish we were able to take the auto train, but Va is the only location to get it, but I have entertained the thought of taking the train. I think it would be fun. How was the ride itself? Did you feel confined? We are suppose to be going in Oct and would then rent a car from there. Just trying to convience my daughter it would be fun and that it will not take any more time then driving which is about a 6-7 hr drive.

There are two "regular" trains a day from NTC to Miami, both of which stop in Orlando itself, so you need not go to Lorton for a train to Disney World. We took the train from Trenton to Orlando in 2002 -- and the sleepers were loads of fun for the children. No train changes at all. We just took a cab to the AKL and used Disney transportation for the rest of the trip. We also packed "for the train" and "not for the train" cases, leaving the big "not for the train" cases in the baggage car. Long distance cars have quite a lot of leg room, and long distance trains have full kitchens, not just snack cars.

There are two "regular" trains a day from NTC to Miami, both of which stop in Orlando itself, so you need not go to Lorton for a train to Disney World. We took the train from Trenton to Orlando in 2002 -- and the sleepers were loads of fun for the children. No train changes at all. We just took a cab to the AKL and used Disney transportation for the rest of the trip. We also packed "for the train" and "not for the train" cases, leaving the big "not for the train" cases in the baggage car. Long distance cars have quite a lot of leg room, and long distance trains have full kitchens, not just snack cars.

The BIG difference is that you have your car with you when you get there so you don't need to get a cab or rent a car. I have taken the regular train from Philadelphia and have been taking the AutoTrain ever since. Having our car with us is totally worth it to us. We drive the 3 1/2 to 4 hours to Lorton from Eastern PA.

DSC04109 amtrak beverages.JPG DSC04097 amtrak roomette bed.JPG DSC04096 amtrak roomette bed dwn.JPG DSC04095 amtak roomette.JPG DSC04094 amtrak roomette bed.JPG DSC04091 amtrak roomette.JPG DSC04089 amtrak roomette.JPG DSC04097 amtrak roomette bed.JPG DSC04097 amtrak roomette bed.JPG DSC04097 amtrak roomette bed.JPG I have some pictures of the sleeper cars. There are reg and deluxe. The reg sleeps 2, two seats face each other. The bottom becomes a bed and the upper berth is dropped down. After dinner when you return to the car it should be changed. The deluxe sleeps three and there is a bathroom shower. For seating the sofa area is large and there is a chair. the chair is across from the tiny bathroom. It was okay for bathroom breaks but too small and too wet to take a shower in there for us. We used the downstairs showers. The sofa pulls out into a double bed and the top berth drops down. I think only 10 photos will upload at a time. I'll sort the rooms from the extras like refreshment area, halls, doors between cars and the stairs down to lower level.
We boarded in Sanford and arrived in Lorton after a drive down. It was nice, but if less money to fly I would rather fly for time. I liked the experience, but hated the drive from Lorton to home. Long drives. We had a dinner, and wine tasting when we boarded that they have since done away with. In the morning they got us up and going early. Breakfast was cereal, bagels, toast, muffin's and fruit.
I never uploaded pic's in this format before so bare with me.

Attachments

• DSC04089 amtrak roomette.JPG
    DSC04089 amtrak roomette.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC04091 amtrak roomette.JPG
    DSC04091 amtrak roomette.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 4

Any auto train traveler this summer yet? Any changes?

Something must be wrong with my family and I because we just arrived home last week using the autotrain and hated every second of it. I had motion sickness so bad I still had it 2 days later!!!! We had a sleeper it was very tight!!!! Then at night they call it high balling (where they make up on time) and boy were they flying not sure if maybe the conductor was drinking high balls or what but he was going so fast it actually felt like the train was jumping the track. I will never ever do it again!!! I would rather walk home!!!!!

We won't do it again either. It was very bumpy and erratic. I felt like we were going to tip over/come out of the tracks.

We had a bedroom and roomette the way down and a family bedroom the way back.

We said if we were to do it again we would get 2 bedrooms (family of 5) but we don't need to worry about that anymore. I just make sure we get window seats on the plane!

Okay then. The speed limit at most is around 55 mph. I highly doubt they were "flying". Amtrak has to deal with CSX trains and do not have priority. If you were motion sick that means you are prone to it. Who told you they were "high balling"? Also, they do tend to pick up speed overnight due to the more rural areas they are in and less overall traffic which is where they do make up time, but not because they are speeding. A lot of the times, they are moving at less than 50 mph. The train is not "jumping" off the tracks. If you ever watch a train, the car may sway some side to side and while it appears to "jump" while onboard, the wheels do not leave the track. They're meant to sway somewhat so as to absorb the bumps, etc.

When we took it we saw 70/71 on our Waze app.

We won't do it again either. It was very bumpy and erratic. I felt like we were going to tip over/come out of the tracks.

We had a bedroom and roomette the way down and a family bedroom the way back.

We said if we were to do it again we would get 2 bedrooms (family of 5) but we don't need to worry about that anymore. I just make sure we get window seats on the plane!

When we took it we saw 70/71 on our Waze app.

Okay, so maybe 70 at some points (very few), but not anywhere near the entire trip. I think anyone expecting smooth tracks are not train travelers. We've been on the AT at least six times (probably closer to 8 since we've taken it for cruises and not been to WDW) and we have never felt like they were "flying" nor have we been concerned. The fact is, there are speed limits and while it can be a little bumpy, it is what it is because AMTRAK does NOT own the tracks. As I said, watch video of trains are they are moving through areas and you will see the trains never once appear to leave the tracks or even sway. What you feel on board isn't what actually is happening. The "drama" of what some post just isn't what is really happening.

Okay, so maybe 70 at some points (very few), but not anywhere near the entire trip. I think anyone expecting smooth tracks are not train travelers. We've been on the AT at least six times (probably closer to 8 since we've taken it for cruises and not been to WDW) and we have never felt like they were "flying" nor have we been concerned. The fact is, there are speed limits and while it can be a little bumpy, it is what it is because AMTRAK does NOT own the tracks. As I said, watch video of trains are they are moving through areas and you will see the trains never once appear to leave the tracks or even sway. What you feel on board isn't what actually is happening. The "drama" of what some post just isn't what is really happening.

I have only taken metro north from CT to NYC about 20 ish times my whole life, maybe more, probably more. While that doesn't go as fast, I didn't feel the swaying I felt in the AT. Yes I know the AT has 2 levels and we were upstairs the way down and downstairs the way back.

My daughter slept on the upper bunk and felt with every slow down or what felt like someone slamming on the breaks that she was going to fall out of bed. I felt the train lurching with those "slamming on the break" moments and really felt like the train was going to tip both directions. My son slept the entire time and my younger daughter did as well but she claims she was awake at night....um...no I slept with her and she was passed out.

Obviously the train did not leave the track while we were on it but it sure as heck felt like it was going to tip (and sway) and not just once. We felt it more during the night probably because it was not going thru "towns" and had to go slower but going thru the country and could speed up a little. I expect swaying but not like that!

As far as speeds, we did screen shot different places thru out, day and night when we should of been sound asleep but were afraid we were going to tip and many of them had 70 mph speeds on our app. I am well aware Amtrak does not own the tracks. I read page by page in here before I booked and searched as much as I could elsewhere. And when we crossed cars we could see the swaying between the 2 cars and that's when the train was going slow.

While it was nice to have our car and all our beach stuff, it did not save us any driving time. We drove the year before we did the train. Both times we left at 6am to avoid NYC traffic. We got to the AT by 11 and hung out. We got to my sisters house between 3-4 when we drove and when we took the AT.

I mean I would love to take it again but not until the tracks get smoother. And if we did, I would get 2 connecting bedrooms.

Dinner on the way down we split tables because we are a family of 5. On the way back home we squished into a booth, I was not happy the server did that too us. I sat on the end with 2 of my kids with my leg half out into the aisle. And yes the DR was packed.

It just wasn't a great experience for us. I'd rather suck it up and do the 22-24 hr drive from CT to Ft. Myers

I have only taken metro north from CT to NYC about 20 ish times my whole life, maybe more, probably more. While that doesn't go as fast, I didn't feel the swaying I felt in the AT. Yes I know the AT has 2 levels and we were upstairs the way down and downstairs the way back.

My daughter slept on the upper bunk and felt with every slow down or what felt like someone slamming on the breaks that she was going to fall out of bed. I felt the train lurching with those "slamming on the break" moments and really felt like the train was going to tip both directions. My son slept the entire time and my younger daughter did as well but she claims she was awake at night....um...no I slept with her and she was passed out.

Obviously the train did not leave the track while we were on it but it sure as heck felt like it was going to tip (and sway) and not just once. We felt it more during the night probably because it was not going thru "towns" and had to go slower but going thru the country and could speed up a little. I expect swaying but not like that!

As far as speeds, we did screen shot different places thru out, day and night when we should of been sound asleep but were afraid we were going to tip and many of them had 70 mph speeds on our app. I am well aware Amtrak does not own the tracks. I read page by page in here before I booked and searched as much as I could elsewhere. And when we crossed cars we could see the swaying between the 2 cars and that's when the train was going slow.

While it was nice to have our car and all our beach stuff, it did not save us any driving time. We drove the year before we did the train. Both times we left at 6am to avoid NYC traffic. We got to the AT by 11 and hung out. We got to my sisters house between 3-4 when we drove and when we took the AT.

I mean I would love to take it again but not until the tracks get smoother. And if we did, I would get 2 connecting bedrooms.

Dinner on the way down we split tables because we are a family of 5. On the way back home we squished into a booth, I was not happy the server did that too us. I sat on the end with 2 of my kids with my leg half out into the aisle. And yes the DR was packed.

It just wasn't a great experience for us. I'd rather suck it up and do the 22-24 hr drive from CT to Ft. Myers

We take Amtrak between DC and NYC at least once per year and it's a different experience. The speed limit is followed and they only do higher speeds in areas that allow it which do tend to be overnight in less populated areas of SC. The ride can be bumpy and sway sometimes and other times it's smoother. Most of the bumps and sways are due to rail road crossings, which south of Richmond tend to be almost all at grade and others are felt when crossing switches. We had one trip where we were on tracks that were a little rippled but that only lasted about 10 minutes and they did slow down for that. We don't do it because it saves time. We do it because I hate to fly and it saves wear and tear on our car, not to mention the drive down I-95 sucks. Most people ride the AT knowing they aren't going to get a full nights sleep. Kids do tend to sleep better than adults. Best night of sleep we ever had on the train was in a bedroom. We do okay in a roomette. No mode of transportation is perfect, but for us, train travel is part of the experience. Another great thing is we have met many people over the years. A great number of them are military veterans.

We take Amtrak between DC and NYC at least once per year and it's a different experience. The speed limit is followed and they only do higher speeds in areas that allow it which do tend to be overnight in less populated areas of SC. The ride can be bumpy and sway sometimes and other times it's smoother. Most of the bumps and sways are due to rail road crossings, which south of Richmond tend to be almost all at grade and others are felt when crossing switches. We had one trip where we were on tracks that were a little rippled but that only lasted about 10 minutes and they did slow down for that. We don't do it because it saves time. We do it because I hate to fly and it saves wear and tear on our car, not to mention the drive down I-95 sucks. Most people ride the AT knowing they aren't going to get a full nights sleep. Kids do tend to sleep better than adults. Best night of sleep we ever had on the train was in a bedroom. We do okay in a roomette. No mode of transportation is perfect, but for us, train travel is part of the experience. Another great thing is we have met many people over the years. A great number of them are military veterans. The dining car can be packed, especially during certain times of the year. But, each dining time is usually pretty full, if not completely full.

We take Amtrak between DC and NYC at least once per year and it's a different experience. The speed limit is followed and they only do higher speeds in areas that allow it which do tend to be overnight in less populated areas of SC. The ride can be bumpy and sway sometimes and other times it's smoother. Most of the bumps and sways are due to rail road crossings, which south of Richmond tend to be almost all at grade and others are felt when crossing switches. We had one trip where we were on tracks that were a little rippled but that only lasted about 10 minutes and they did slow down for that. We don't do it because it saves time. We do it because I hate to fly and it saves wear and tear on our car, not to mention the drive down I-95 sucks. Most people ride the AT knowing they aren't going to get a full nights sleep. Kids do tend to sleep better than adults. Best night of sleep we ever had on the train was in a bedroom. We do okay in a roomette. No mode of transportation is perfect, but for us, train travel is part of the experience. Another great thing is we have met many people over the years. A great number of them are military veterans. The dining car can be packed, especially during certain times of the year. But, each dining time is usually pretty full, if not completely full.

That's good that you guys enjoy it. It didn't meet our expectations. I prefer to fly but the first April we went to FL after my sister moved it was too late to get good flights price wise. I checked up until the day before we left from Hartford, Boston, NYC/westchester and providence. So we drove. While I didn't mind the drive the carolinas and Georgia and south of Richmond were boing. Give me traffic in NYC any day!

The next year we said let's try the auto train since my dh and I talked about it when we were single. I got tickets the first day I could for the way down and then waited 10 days and got the return. $1800~ RT for the 5 of us, our car, a bedroom and roomette on the way down and family bedroom on the way back. Not bad price wise. But like I said the swaying and felling like we were going to derail was not good.

I've lost count of how many times we have taken the Auto Train. Our first train ride was Amtrak from Philly to Orlando in coach. Coach, never again unless it is an emergency. On the Auto Train we have always been in a bedroom. Yes, the ride is bumpy, but it actually puts me to sleep for short naps almost from the time it starts moving. That makes up for what I lose when it bumps in the middle of the night when it wakes me up, but then it rocks me back asleep again. Yes, the cars sway. Yes, when you go from car to car you will see the sway. If they were connected so tightly as to not sway, they would not be able to go around the curves.

As far as bumps, I have felt the bumps on the train, but when we flew home from Disney one time, there was a thunderstorm at our home airport. We had to fly around for sometime with lightning flashing around us and a lot of turbulence. If we wouldn't have had our seatbelts on we would have hit the ceiling quite a few times. It was worse than a roller coaster ride. I always feel safer on the train because at least if there is an accident we are on the ground and have a chance of getting out if we live through the initial impact. On a plane, if it has problems, you are going down, with a lot lower chance of survival. In a car, if you are driving and start getting tired many people just try to push through and get there and end up in a accident. I know, because we used to drive, but saw and heard of too many accidents on our many driving trips. We always stopped along the way to sleep, but many people don't. Tired drivers are the cause of a lot of car accidents. You may not be the tired driver, but the guy who hits you might be. I like having the conductor do the driving. I can sit and relax and even have a drink or two.

I remember reading this thread back in 2009 when we did our Autotrain trip. We have since done 5 long distance train trips.
The northeast corridor was by far the bumpiest of our train trips. I agree with an upthread poster, I had several times during the night that it felt like we were going to leave the tracks.
Was wondering if the tracks had been improved over the years.
Our western train trips were definitely much smoother.

Do you know what the speed limits were where you captured 70 mph? My guess is at least 70 mph. The swaying you see is the car, not the wheels on the track. Think of it like a suspension system on a car. If it didn't move, it would be a problem. But, from what I can see, train travel is not for you so let it go.

Also, do you fear for your life when a plan hits turbulence? If not, why fear a train doing what trains do?

As you can see from multiple posts about the AT, most of us love it. You don't have to, but you also don't have to expect everyone to agree with you.

This thread was started by someone who loved it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter