• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

autotrain anyone?

djnb03

Earning My Ears
Hello I am new to disboards, My husband and I are planning to go back to disney June 2009 for our second trip. We flew this past june but with the airline prices going up and less planes, we were wondering about the auto train. Has anyone taken this before from lorton to sandford? how was it? :surfweb:

We've done the Auto Train from Lorton to Sanford. Saves you from driving 12 hours from DC area.

We had two rooms adjoining with the bathroom. My son and I on one side and wife/daughter on other side. You can get up and move around. Dinner was included with our package and after dinner we played around in the entertainment lounge. Around 8, they had a movie and offer cookies and popcorn. You could buy other snacks. I had no problem sleeping, feels like a ship, but DW couldn't sleep. Got to Sanford and we sat in lounge while they unloaded van. Then 35 minutes later we were at disney. Around 8:30 am.

Same thing on the way back. Got to Lorton and drove home to Alexandria. Now we live in NC, so we just drive down. It would be great if we could meet the autotrain somewhere and load my truck and let them drive for us.

You'll enjoy it if you go.

We are going in around 26 days :banana: on the autotrain and to answer one of the other posts yes it only goes from lorton to sanford and back.

Hello I am new to disboards, My husband and I are planning to go back to disney June 2009 for our second trip. We flew this past june but with the airline prices going up and less planes, we were wondering about the auto train. Has anyone taken this before from lorton to sandford? how was it? :surfweb:

I took the autotrain last Dec with my DGS & DGD. We had a compartment with a bathroom. As I am Pooh sized, the potty was extremely tight, much smaller than an airplane bathroom. :rolleyes1 My DGS (11) slept in the top bunk and My DGD (8) slept with me in the larger bed (double sized). My grandkids slept ok but I didn't sleep a single minute on the way down. They flew back with their parents and I rode back alone and slept for only a couple of hours. Since I am mobility challenged, our meals were brought to the room. All the personel very very helpful and nice.

I think I would have enjoyed the ride more if it hadn't been dark before 6pm so couldn't see anything out the window.

Would I do it again? Probably not. I could have flown and rented a van and a scooter (I brought my own in my van) for much less and been there in 2.5 hours instead of 17 plus 1 hour to Lorton another hour to Disney from Sanford and the same going back only it took me 2.5 hrs to drive home from Lorton because of an accident on the beltway. I would have been cheaper if I hadn't gotten the compartment but I could not imagine sitting up all night listening to other people sleeping; and I was warned by a friend who only takes the train because of an inner ear problem, that the public bathrooms get very nasty and they aren't cleaned or resuplied with necessities.

When I got my car at Sanford, the steering wheel was filthy with some kind of crud on it. I had to pull over and wash it off with water and tissues.:scared1:
Just my opinion, hope I didn't scare you.

This isn't a first hand account - so please take this with a grain of salt. I was also considering going by autotrain for our next trip and then my in-laws took the autotrain and they were really unhappy with it.

First, they sat in coach which most people also do since it turns out to be cheaper to fly if you get the more expensive private sleeper "cabin". (I know that I would probably enjoy my own compartment, but it sort of defeats the purpose of going by train if I can fly cheaper and faster.) They said the seats were comfortable, but not great for sleeping. Also, the coach area is noisier since people are constantly getting up, kids are crying, etc. So, they found it hard to sleep.

Second, they had some issue with the food car. I guess that there aren't "seatings" and there are people that stay there to have coffee, etc., and so it is not very easy to find a seat. We always travel with my parents and it sounds like trying to find a seating for 7 might be difficult.

Third, they say it took a long time to get there car from the train when they arrived. Now, my father-in-law has a gift for impatience, so I don't really count this one. (He's the sort of guy that is waiving down the waitress 30 seconds after he sits down at a restaurant to make sure she waits on him in a hurry.) What may seem like a reasonable wait to most was something that he complained about.

I still am considering this since I like new experiences, but after their trip, I find that I am really weighing the pros and cons.

(Anybody whose had a first hand experience in this, please let me know if the IL's were wrong. I still think it is neat to travel by train!)

We are returning in 18 days for our 4th trip on the autotrain. our family consist of me, dh, ds18,ds9,ds7,dd5and ds1. We love the autotrain. We live in CT. We have traveled in coach and in the various room types. Last yr - dh, ds9 and ds7 traveled in a sleeper. Dd5 and I took coach. We are employees and usually get bumped up to sleepers but on this trip they only had 1 sleeper avail. Coach was fine to ride in. We had previously traveled from CT to FL on the reg train-( that is the train that the restroom smell after a while). So we were use to sleeping in coach. The bathrooms on the autotrain were always clean. If it lacked any supplies the employee assigned to each car can restock it. Dining seating is not assigned.The dining staff will assist you in seating. Basically you show up at your dinner time of 5,7 or 9 pm. you sit in the 1st avail seating there is. Each table will hold 4 people. We have had 5 at the table- dd is small or when we are a party of 6. The remainding 2 will sit across from us and share a table w/ other travelers. The food is good- included in your cost of ticket. There is also a snack area on the train where you can purchase food/drinks too. When we were in coach we were w/ other families. There was talking and movement but nothing that was annoying. DD fell alseep fairly easliy since she had been up since 2 am. Breaksfast is cereal and bagels.

The order your car is loaded does not determine how it comes off the carrier. We have waited about 45 mins at times to get the car offloaded. If your FIL is the impatient type this could push him over the edge. I had a great aunt travel many many years ago. She complained that she was the last car off. Last year we were fortunate enought to be the 5th car off the train that had arrived by 830 am and be checking in at OKW by 10 am w/ a room ready for us! There can be delays on the tracks. The tracks are owned by CSX and their freight cars have right of way. Amtrak has adjusted their schedules to add in a bit of delay should one arise. We travel with the thougth that this is part of our vacation- adventure. We don't get upset at delays. Airplanes are delayed mosted of the time.

I took my mom 1 way on the autotrain w/ her vehicle - she really didn't care for it. I guess it is up to the person traveling and how they see things. Everyone has certain likes and dislikes.

If you decided to travel by autotrain. Bring a pillow. slip in your case a flat sheet to put on the coach seats and a light fleece blanket. There are pillows on board but they are small same goes with the blanket. Thank god last yr dd had took her big stuffed duck on the train w/ us. He made a fluffly pillow for the trip. This yr we are all going w/ the pillows/blankets. We are fortunate to be able to travel for free. We purchased DVC since we were vacationing there so often. DH keeps talking about retiring again, I priced out airfare for 7 plus car rental and it still came much higher than the autotrain. Plus you have to pay for parking at the airport and now paying for 2nd baggage charges and fuel charges. The farthest out you book your trip the cheaper it will become.

I hope this helps. If you have any specfic ?"s I would be happy to assist

I took the Autotrain from Sanford to Lorton last September and although it was convenient....I should have reserved a sleeping compartment because I found sleeping in the coach seat to be extremely uncomfortable.....however I didn't have a problem with noise in my car because there were maybe 6 or 7 passengers in it.....The meal was fine...I was a single and sat with 3 other passengers...the waitress seats you at the first available table and you are assigned a time to eat when you check-in at the station.....I thought the Lorton station was much nicer than the Sanford station....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter