Automatic 18% gratuity

You have to be joking me right?? You would really make a fuss over a few pennys?? Do you realize how petty that sounds, before or after is it really that big of deal?

Few pennies? Thats a pretty trivial way of putting what is an expensive tip on a party that size.

IMO (and just personal opinion), if you receive good service, you should be tipping 18% anyway so under those conditions, I think it would be a mute point.

However, if you do not receive good service, there is an avenue for the patron to take to have the tip reduced. Speak to the manager. The manager can and in most cases will reduce the percentage of an auto-grat if a complaint is made about the service and you specifically request it.

The manager can and in most cases will reduce the percentage of an auto-grat if a complaint is made about the service and you specifically request it.
Well, a legitimate complaint - not one trumped-up JUST to get the service charge reduced :teeth:

I honestly thought I lucked out by having a party of 5 this trip with my infant! LOL, it makes it easier for me to figure out the tip!:goodvibes

Hi all. Just got back today, and the 18% is clearly optional. In fact the server at the Cape May Cafe breakfast actually said to me "you're going to ignore that 18%, it's too much for a buffet...". They have suggested 18% and 20% tips and not once did anyone act awkwardly about it, although the Cal Grill and 50's PT servers did not seem to be happy having to enter the tip.

This thread is concerning the automatic 18% tip for parties of 6 or more. This tip is added on to all groups, DDP as well as guests paying cash.

I have new question. We will be a party of 9, maybe 14. I know we'll get the 18% charge, but I really don't want to be paying it all by myself (cause I make the ressies and handle the cards). Will the check still be split into two tickets if there are different rooms. That way I can pay for my room and DB can handle his?

Hi all. Just got back today, and the 18% is clearly optional. In fact the server at the Cape May Cafe breakfast actually said to me "you're going to ignore that 18%, it's too much for a buffet...". They have suggested 18% and 20% tips and not once did anyone act awkwardly about it, although the Cal Grill and 50's PT servers did not seem to be happy having to enter the tip.

It was not optional for my party of 7 on two checks in January. We were charged 18% at every TS restuarant. The only ones that bothered me were the buffets. The thing the servers had to do was take drink order, and keep them filled, and the service was always bad. should have, but didn't complain. Overall we were having a good time, and didn't want to get worked up arguing with a manager. $15 to $30 for not refilling drinks is a bit much though even if the service was good.

It was not optional for my party of 7 on two checks in January. We were charged 18% at every TS restuarant. The only ones that bothered me were the buffets. The thing the servers had to do was take drink order, and keep them filled, and the service was always bad. should have, but didn't complain. Overall we were having a good time, and didn't want to get worked up arguing with a manager. $15 to $30 for not refilling drinks is a bit much though even if the service was good.

Its because the food is so expensive at Disney, heck I would never pay these kind of prices outside of Disney. A expensive meal in our family is getting to go to Roadhouse Steakhouse twice a year and our bill for the family of 5 runs around 60-70 dollars.

The issue of gratuities really doesn't have much to do with what any of us think is right, or what we are used to paying in restaurants at home. It is what it is.

Disney restaurants are overpriced about 20% or so, but eating in them ensures reasonable quality (if not much variety) and usually very good service -- as opposed to cabbing offsite to Olive Garden or Burger King. The prices are what they are.

An automatic gratuity is quite common at destination resorts. Disney's union contract specifies an automatic 18% gratuity for all parties of six or more, regardless of method of payment. It also specifies an automatic 18% gratuity for all parties using the DDE discount card, regardless of the size of the party. That's a legally-binding agreement that Disney signed, and that's what the gratuities are.

If a customer does not feel the gratuity is warranted, they can certainly speak to a manager. Realistically though, the default answer is going to be that the gratuity is dictated by labor contract, announced on the menu, and that's just the way it is.

There are no mysteries about the gratuity; it's specified all over the place (DDP brochures, menus, etc.). If an automatic gratuity is published as restaurant policy, and we then eat a meal there...we've agreed to the gratuity.

The sensible thing to do is to recognize the realities of the situation, and plan accordingly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter