Autographs on t-shirt, pillowcase, etc.

wheredreamsbegin

DIS Veteran
I am thinking of having the kids collect autographs on something other than an autograph book. I have a few questions for those who have tried this:

1. Was it difficult to carry the t-shirt, pillowcase, etc. through the parks?

2. Was it difficult for characters to sign the t-shirt, pillowcase, etc.?

3. What type of writing instrument did you use? (regular sharpie, fabric pen?)

4. Do you have any suggestions for someone trying this for the first time?

I am thinking of having the kids collect autographs on something other than an autograph book. I have a few questions for those who have tried this:

1. Was it difficult to carry the t-shirt, pillowcase, etc. through the parks?

No, I just used a ziploc bag to keep the shirt and pen in

2. Was it difficult for characters to sign the t-shirt, pillowcase, etc.?

No. But you do need something stiff inside the shirt like a piece of cardboard--5x7" should be big enough, just move it to the location you want them to sign

3. What type of writing instrument did you use? (regular sharpie, fabric pen?)

If you are going to wear the shirt, I would definitely get a fabric marker (NOT a paintpen:scared1:). A sharpie could work, but they sometimes blur on fabric. Fabric markers are available at Wal-mart in the craft section or any craft store like Joanns

4. Do you have any suggestions for someone trying this for the first time?

Have fun! You will have a cute souvenir afterwards!!
:wizard:

We decided to have t-shirts done for our son and it works great.

Instead of cardboard go buy a needlepoint ring - 4 to 6 inches. Even a 3 can do. This will keep the material stretched and allow for easier signing by the characters.

We found that sharpies work great except for fine tip. Large tip sometimes is hard to fit into ring as well.

Big HINT: Make sure you save the premier spot (middle front or top back) for your Child''s favorite character. You do not want the Mick to end up in the arm pit!!! :rotfl:

Also, unless you do not mind signatures going every which way. you have to hand the material to them the way you want it signed. We kind of thinkit adds character to the characters if the autos go upside down, sideways, etc.

Good Luck and have fun. My son loves wearing his when he get home and after he out grows them, they can become a wall mounting or put away with his memories book.

:yay:

.... or you don't want Donald Duck to sign Donald is #1 across the whole back of the tote bag.

For those reading (sounds like the OP already knows it) if you want characters to sign an article of clothing, you must carry it - they will not sign clothing while it is being worn.

We have done this...we had my husbands jacket signed (he took it off) and we also had my daughters sash signed when we were in Florida for a pageant and she just handed it to them. We used a permanent marker but neither item is washable. If it is a t-shirt I would use a fabric pen.

We have done autographs on various items. When we did t-shirts, I bought them at the Disney store before we left for a fraction of the cost and used the needlepoint ring as a pp stated. I would move the ring each time a character signed and we did the back of the shirts. I used a sharpie and it did fine. The signatures faded a bit, but only after tons of washing.
We have also had them sign hats and pillowcases and on our last trip we bought a picture frame before we left that had a space for 2 4 x 6 pictures. The mat was fat in between the pictures so I had the characters sign the mat and it looks GREAT!We put the pictures we took at the time in the frame when we got home. I went back to Michaels when we got back and bought another frame just like the first and we are taking that mat with us in May. I took it to the character meals and got them to sign it there.

Would you be able to post a photo of the signed picture frame? I'm curious as to how that came out!

Dani

We're going to try canvas tote bags from L.L. Bean. Do you think the rings will be strong enough for those, or will we need to use a piece of cardboard?

Would you be able to post a photo of the signed picture frame? I'm curious as to how that came out!

Dani

i would like to see a picture of this too......we did a pillow case last year and used a clipboard and rubberbands to keep i smooth

.... or you don't want Donald Duck to sign Donald is #1 across the whole back of the tote bag.

a tote bag...I never thought of that. That is a FANTASTIC idea!

on our last trip we bought a picture frame before we left that had a space for 2 4 x 6 pictures. The mat was fat in between the pictures so I had the characters sign the mat and it looks GREAT!We put the pictures we took at the time in the frame when we got home. I went back to Michaels when we got back and bought another frame just like the first and we are taking that mat with us in May. I took it to the character meals and got them to sign it there.

Did you carry this around the parks for random character meetings? I would love to do this, but I'm afraid that it would be destroyed during the course of the trip.

We're going to try canvas tote bags from L.L. Bean. Do you think the rings will be strong enough for those, or will we need to use a piece of cardboard?

I would love to know the answer to this too.

My daughter did a small tote bag that we bought at Michael's. It's not as heavyweight as an LLBean bag, but we just kept a piece of cardboard inside so they could sign it. One other thing that helped was she kept all of her 'stuff' in a food storage sized ziploc bag inside it. This way when she needed an autograph, she could just slip the bag out quickly.

Before we left, she made a picture on the computer of the Soarin' logo (her favorite ride). I made an iron-on out of it and put it on one side of the bag. The characters used a Sharpie to sign. We had different colors of Sharpies with us, which really looked cute to have all the different colors.

Hope that helps! Not sure I know how to post a picture....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter