Autograph Pillowcase Question

What a great idea! I might have to do this. Do you think I can do this with a character pillowcase? DD has a tinkerbell pillowcase and a princess one.

@DisGirl - I don't see why you couldn't use a character pillowcase, as long as it wasn't too dark that the markers won't show up.
We're doing tote bags this year, can't wait!

This is one of the pillowcases that we had done on our cruise in January. We brought 10 different colors, which I think makes it look great! My kids have them hanging on their walls in their rooms. I LOVE the tote bag idea, I think on our cruise in October, we'll do that! (That way Mom can have one, too!).
The embroidery hoop idea is GENIUS! Sounds fantastic!
2011disneycruisecozumeltoend238.jpg

:cool1:
That pillow case is beautiful!
Can I ask what pens you used?
Sharpies? The color is so vibrant!!

We did the autographed pillowcase for our DS on one of our trips... I designed an iron-on transfer that I put on the pillowcase and had the characters autograph around it (used an embroidery hoop and fabric markers.)

I can't find a picture of the pillowcase with the autographs on it, but this is what the iron on transfer was:

Pillowcase.jpg

:cool1:
That pillow case is beautiful!
Can I ask what pens you used?
Sharpies? The color is so vibrant!!

Well, thank you! We used the Bic Mark-Its.
I can't wait to do a tote bag for myself! I just ordered a personalized Mickey tote bag from Disney.com! It's white, so the markers will show up so nicely!

Before taking your pillowcase to be autographed, rinse it to get out all of the sizing. The markers / fabric pens will adhere better without the sizing (the same goes when you paint any kind of cloth). You don't even have to wash it. Just running it through the rinse cycle in your washer will do. To set the markers / fabric pens, you can put it in the dryer, but pressing it with an iron will give it more heat. Put a presscloth or piece of wax paper on top of it and iron over it.

I can't wait to do these! I'm going to paint my kids' names on them before we go and have the characters sign around them. What a great and much lighter alternative to carrying 4 autograph books! I'm going to take my canvas bag that I got at WDW a few years ago and have it signed. Thanks for such a great idea!

I used hard cardboard and used safety pins to really pull the case tight so it would be easy for them to sign. Also, be sure to move the cardboard whenever you stop to eat to be sure you get autographs even over the entire case. :)

The Sharpie Laundry pen is the best. My daughter uses this pillow, so it is washed every week and still looks great.

We did this on our last trip. We used a Princess pillowcase, I went to Michaels and got a 12 inch round foam board about 1 inch thick. It's for wall decoration but I used it for this. Then I used the large flip style paper clips, put it on the board with the clips and handed it to the signer. Remember to that they have huge gloves on, so when you get your marker, make sure it's long and thick. I used a fabric marker, but I'm sure any style would do.

We have never used the pillowcases in Disney but have used them when our children are hospitalized for surgeries and all their doctors, therapists, nurses and visitors sign them. We do not let them sleep on them but they don't sleep on pillows anyway. We use a sharpie in black but any color could be used. We bought the pillowcases at the gift shop in the hospital but I will probably buy the ones for our next trip to Disney at Wal Mart or somewhere like that. I will probably only do 1 or 2 in July when we go and then do our son's at Christmas while we are there. I don't like to keep the characters tied up too long with our 3 and sometimes more children. They always spend more time wih them anyway since they are all in wheel chairs.
Good Luck and hope everyone's turns out great.

So we want to do the autographed pillowcase for our DD in August, but I have a few questions about the markers.
I have heard that the fabric markers can run and that is why people use sharpies. Has anyone had any luck with any particular brand of fabric markers?
My DD will sleep on this every night so it will be washed quite regularly so I don't want the autographs to fade.
I looked at the Sharpie laundry marker but they seem to only make it in black.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Here is the hoop I used a few years ago...it comes with a hard center.
http://www.allcraftsupplies.com/index.php?productID=3153

The characters loved using this but they are big to carry around. I carried them in an oversized ziplock with a variety of different colored fabric markers. After a couple characters signed I made sure to move it to a blank spot before going to next character. It takes time but once you get a system down it's much easier.

So we want to do the autographed pillowcase for our DD in August, but I have a few questions about the markers.
I have heard that the fabric markers can run and that is why people use sharpies. Has anyone had any luck with any particular brand of fabric markers?
My DD will sleep on this every night so it will be washed quite regularly so I don't want the autographs to fade.
I looked at the Sharpie laundry marker but they seem to only make it in black.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

I got my fabric markers from WalMart. They said permanent right on them and they didn't run. I will check the brand when I get home.

I'm debating bringing my heavy canvas WDW beach tote to WDW on our next visit and getting that autographed at the character breakfasts my DH agreed to attend with me (in exchange for a depth/fish finder for his kayak:lmao:).

Thanks for all the tips about markers - I admit it's been bothering me how to "set" the autographs so they don't run!

I love this idea! We are heading to Disney in November with my best friend and her family. I am going to surprise my friend with a tote bag to get autographed and I will get the kids pillowcases. What a genius idea and awesome keepsake!:banana:

I am intrigued by the idea of the autograph pillowcase. We have always done books in the past.

This is the first time in the last several visits that we are NOT lodging in the parks because we are not "officially" there for Disney. Gasp! But we are still going to squeeze in 4 days at the parks.

So back to my question:

Can someone explain to me how the pillowcase autographing works? Do you bring a clipboard or something hard for them to hold and press down on? What type of pens do you use that are washer safe? What is the protcol? I have never had the characters sign anything other than a book....

Can you more experienced folks give me some tips for this?

I read about leaving them at your resort and having them signed, but again, we are not on property....and they will want more autographs than the Fab5

Thank you so much in advance for any/all advice!

We've not done the pillowcases, thought I've given it a tremendous amount of thought. The "problem" with the pillowcases is twofold. First, the markers bleed through, so you have to find a way to prevent that. Second, the surface isn't firm, as you've already identified. If we were to do this, I think what I'd do is bring a very small embroidery hoop that would fit in my fanny pack. Maybe 4 or 5 inches in diameter. You can fit the hoop over ONE layer of pillowcase, to prevent the bleed-through to the other side of the pillow case.

What we've decided to do instead is to buy canvas bags at Hobby Lobby and do that.

We did this last year. It worked great! I carried the pillow case in its zippered plastic bag that it came in and had a piece of heavy cardboard the same size with it. I just placed the cardboard in the pillowcase at the spot I wanted them to sign and it was perfect. We used a black sharpie and the cardboard kept it from bleeding through. It dried quickly. We have both sides filled with autographs. Everyone is black except Minnie had her own red sharpie, so she signed right in the middle of one side. It looks great. People in line were interested in it and so were the cast members.

What a great idea! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter