Auto Train trip report with pictures! Part 1

mikelan6

World Traveler, Usually Optimistic
My partner and I took the Autotrain south from Lorton to Sanford this past weekend. I took some photos and I'd like to share them with you.

at1.jpg

Upon arrival into Lorton, a person at the gate checks your tickets to make sure everything is ok.

at2.jpg

A sign welcomes you.

at3.jpg

The new Lorton station.

at4.jpg

The passenger check in area.

at5.jpg

The waiting area.

at6.jpg

The gift shop.

at7.jpg

The Digital movie and music player rental booth.

at8.jpg

The wagons for the automobiles.

at9.jpg

A locomotive that takes the automobile wagons and couples them with the passenger wagons.

at10.jpg

The children's playground area.

at11.jpg

The boarding platform.

at12.jpg

The coach superliner wagon.

at13.jpg

The track heading South.

at14.jpg

The locomotives that pull the whole train.

at15.jpg

All Aboard!

at16.jpg

The door to our "deluxe" bedroom.

at17.jpg

The hallway on the Sleeper's second level.

at18.jpg

Our "deluxe" bedroom.

at19.jpg

Another view of the bedroom.

... to be continued.

at20.jpg

The coffee and ice area of the sleeper's second level.

at21.jpg

The door leading to another wagon.

at22.jpg

This small table folded out from the wall.

at23.jpg

The toilet / shower in our bedroom.

at24.jpg

Part of a smaller "roommette."

at25.jpg

Another view of the "roommette."

at26.jpg

The stairs leading from level to level on the sleeper car.

at27.jpg

Our table in the Sleeper section Dining room car.

at28.jpg

The menu for passengers in the sleeper cars.

at29.jpg

The Lounge.

at30.jpg

The glass enclosed smoking area.

at31.jpg

A cozy lounge seating area on the lower level.

at32.jpg

The $1.99 per minute rail phone.

at33.jpg

One view of the kitchen in the Dining car lower level.

at34.jpg

Another view of the kitchen.

at35.jpg

A nice view from the train as we headed south.

at36.jpg

An empty lounge car.

at37.jpg

The train station in Sanford, FL. upon arrival.

at38.jpg

The ticketing area in Sanford.

at39.jpg

The waiting area in Sanford.

at40.jpg

Waiting for the cars to be unloaded from the wagons.

at41.jpg

The outdoor waiting area in Sanford.

Thanks Mikelan6 for posting your photos, they are great and adequately portray the train. Can't wait to be back on the Auto Train in June and then again in September. DH & I enjoy train travel.

Kris :wave2:

Hey thanks! That was fun to look at.

Although I seriously doubt we would ever take the autotrain since it would be quite a crazy route to WDW for us, we have seriously considered taking the train elsewhere. I am wondering if you have any other pictures of your sleeper car that show the size more? I would love to see them if you do.

Thanks

Thanks for posting these pictures. DH, DS, and I will be taking the Auto Train for the first time on April 11th. Can't wait!!! We've taken the regular train before, but after seeing your photos I'm so excited about the Auto Train. Thank you so much for doing this!!!! :)

Thanks, that was the best report I've ever seen on these boards. Good photos, short and to the point, everything anyone would want to see about the Autotrain.

Thanks for the great report! We traveled on the Auto Train a few years ago and booked a family sleeper. It did not have a private bathroom but had four beds. It was on the lower floor of the sleeper car so we shared a bathroom with only one other room. The steward was so nice to the kids, even provided them with board games,etc. The dining car was great and when you return to your sleeper they have turned down the lights and beds. They even offer to bring you a continental breakfast to your cabin. I loved it!

disneymom3 said:
I am wondering if you have any other pictures of your sleeper car that show the size more? I would love to see them if you do.

Thanks

Thanks everyone! The cabins are rather small, so it's difficult to take pictures. I also did not get the chance to take pictures of the coach cars, but they're similar to plane seats, with more legroom.

Very cool! How long did it take to get your car once you arrived?

Thank you for posting.

It brings back memories from last years trip.
Cant wait until Aug for this years trip south.

Brings back memories......I wish they would change the menu once in while!!!
We are getting the bedrooms for the first time in November, we usually get 2 of the roomettes!!!!

This was great !! I have never done the train and always think about it. How long did you have to wait to unload the cars? Did you get a good enough sleep in the cars? Let me know!!

Thanks

Thanks so much for the pictures! :thumbsup2
We are going in June and my DS is sooo excited. He loved seeing the pictures. Now we all have an idea of what it will be like.
Anyone know where they show the movies? In the lounge cars? And, DS wanted to know if he brought his DVD player, is there a place to charge it? Unfortunately, we are riding coach, not sure if those seats have plugs? He was bummed we don't have a sleeper room though. Oh well, maybe next time.

Mike,
We're going via the Autotrain in December, and I can't wait to show these pics to my fellow travelers. Thanks!!

emmabelle said:
Very cool! How long did it take to get your car once you arrived?

It did not take long at all. I'd say 5 minutes after they started calling cars.

isyt said:
Did you get a good enough sleep in the cars?
Thanks

Actually, we did get a good night's sleep. Especially since we took a little something. ;)

I think it would be a very cool way to travel. It wouldn't be very convenient for us since we would still have to drive 8 hours to get to Lorton, but if I lived near there I would consider it. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter