• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Auto Train to College Program w/24hr at MK & SWW(new!SWW '14 rope drop/sci fi brkfst)

wow! I give you so much credit travelling solo in coach for such a long journey. I'm sure Mark would have been fine on his own but since we were on the train, it made a difference to me. If he had someone else going too, we would have left his ticket alone.

He loved the roomette though. It's perfect for singles. It provides a quiet, comfortable space with privacy all your own. If you do transport your car back on the train by yourself, I would highly recommend it.

Hopefully my next post will give you a good idea of what they're like.

My best friend did travel with me. Unfortunately, he did take a liking to my shoulder while HE was sleeping which was incredibly heavy for me and I kept having to push him away. If I travel solo home, I will make sure no one is sitting directly next to me!

Auto Train Part 3

The Roomette!

The Auto Train is an Amtrak Superliner

It provides 3 types of Sleeper Cabins:
Superliner Roomette
Family Bedroom
Superliner Bedroom

Superliner Roomette

Our Superliner Roomette is ideal for one or two passengers, with two comfortable reclining seats on either side of a big picture window. At night, the seats convert to a comfortable bed, and an upper berth folds down from above. Roomettes are located on both upper and lower levels of our double-decker Superliner train cars.

This is where we stayed and we loved it!

Roomettes are an engineering marvel with exceptional design and space!

Fascinating!

They are typically grouped together in one area, with doors directly across from each other.

Our corridor had 5 roomettes on each side. Thats James moving between the two rooms.
I know its blurry, but it gives an idea of the width of these hallways. (superliner bedroom hallways are much narrower as you will see )

Roomettes are hard to photograph due to their size, but I will walk you through one as best I can.

This is what they look like before you settle in. Each roomette provides a complimentary newspaper, magazine, two pillows, some small towels, and a few water bottles. Plus a blanket and sheets at night.

Looking center.

There is a mini tray table which opens up with a diagram of instructions on how to work your roomette on the back.

The seats join together to form the bottom bunk.

Tray table down with both wings opened out. These can be closed for a smaller table.

Roomette instructions on the tray table. Good luck with that!

The door slides closed and locks only from the inside. (via a latch)
You cannot lock it when you leave but you can close it and pull the curtains, which we did with no problems.

Turning to one side -

As our beloved Tigger pillow pet helps guage the width of the seats...........
Notice the outlet and temp control by the headrest. This was the only outlet in our roomette.

There is a very narrow open storage bin on this side. Perfect for shoes or blankets.
You can see how close the door is too.

Above is a bar with a few hangers and some small towels. There is even a wall hook.

Other side

This side has wider storage by the door which doubles as a step to help get on the top bunk.
There is a different switch beside the headrest which works the lights and has some type of music plug in.

(and yes! for any Philadelphia Fans - that is a Jason Werth Phillies Blanket Mothers Day giveaway from 4 yrs ago, which Iron Man borrowed for the night)

When JQ was posing as the bell hop, he was carrying a small collapsible cooler with drinks and a backpack.
That cooler was pushed all the way back and fit perfectly in this compartment. It just happens to be hanging forward in this shot.
(He was also carrying a DCL canvas totebag (for any trivia buffs) which moves around a bit among several photos)

For those worried about claustrophobia, look up and check out the ventilation on the ceiling. It can get pretty cool at night and the air flows great. They do provide a thin blanket, but we brought an extra just in case.

That is a mirror next to the privacy curtain which fully covers the entire width of the windows and doors.

Ok so they seem small but truthfully they are a pretty decent size and way more comfortable than we ever imagined.

Heres what they look like when were settled in

Mark in his roomette.
As I mentioned these are great for the traveler who wants comfort and privacy.

JQ fully reclined in his seat. This is as far as they go.

Mark and JQ hanging out

Mark in various stages throughout his journey.

Up next: roomettes at night, other staterooms and coach.

Last edited:
Just found this TR and I have to say it's interesting seeing pictures of the auto train from the inside as just last night I was reading an article about it in a train magazine.

Subscribing! I just read your TR from the garden festival and loved it! Can't wait to hear about the rest of this trip.

Joining in!

I love all of the details. I've never really considered the autotrain before, but it definitely is fun to see what it would be like!

Glad you're enjoying it. Thanks

They have free wifi in the stations of the Auto Train. Don't know why they don't have it available in all areas of the train. I know that on many of the regular trains there is wifi available onboard. Hopefully they institute it onboard by the time of our AutoTrain trip at the end of September, but if it is available in the lounge only, I'll settle for that. :goodvibes

Yes! Free Wifi in the stations. Keep us posted on whether it's onboard in Sept and definitely check with the lounge. Wish we had done that.

Enjoying the report. Thanks :thumbsup2

Jan

thanks Jan. Have a safe trip! Miss you on our cruise.

My best friend did travel with me. Unfortunately, he did take a liking to my shoulder while HE was sleeping which was incredibly heavy for me and I kept having to push him away. If I travel solo home, I will make sure no one is sitting directly next to me!

Glad you had company in coach. that's the great thing about the roomette - the seats are opposite one another. Nobody impedes on anyone else. but I've checked the price recently and it's a lot more than the 125.00 we paid so we must have really gotten a deal when we booked or been off peak.

Just found this TR and I have to say it's interesting seeing pictures of the auto train from the inside as just last night I was reading an article about it in a train magazine.

what a coincidence! Glad you checked it out over here! I getting ready to post more photos. Hope you enjoy them.

Subscribing! I just read your TR from the garden festival and loved it! Can't wait to hear about the rest of this trip.

thanks so much. we really miss that festival. Glad to have you here.

Auto Train continued..............

Roomettes At Night

Here's our roomette converted into sleeping quarters. The bunks are made up by your stateroom host. Ours faced opposite one another. All curtains are drawn for maximum privacy. You can also lock the door if you want, and you're tucked in for the night! We were very comfortable. It was a smooth ride with very little sway. Not sure if this was due to the location of our room - but for us it was easy to rest and sleep.

So there it is! That's a Roomette. I hope this proves helpful to those considering one. We highly recommend it!

Other First Class Options

As previously stated, the Autotrain offers three bedroom options:

The Roomette lowest priced - our choice
The Family Bedroom - next pricing tier
Superliner Bedroom - most expensive

Since our train was half full, we were able to view other bedrooms in our car

The Family Bedroom

per the Amtrak website................

The Family Bedroom spans the entire width of the car and has two picture windows. The sofa and two reclining seats convert to beds and the two upper berths fold down from above. Located on the lower level of Superliner sleeping cars, these bedrooms include two adult-sized berths and two child-sized berths

That description and diagram on Amtrak's website gave me several wrong impressions.

First - was that these were pretty big - they're not.
It's basically a couch + two (barely reclining) roomette seats closely facing one another by a small window on the one side.

(this isn't my photo but you can see the two upper bunks that come down overhead. The couch converts into a wider bed for 2)

Second - was where these are actually located, and
Third - was how they are positioned and laid out.

So I went back and re-read that website description. It states they are only on the lower level, located at each end of the car, and span the width of the train.

That's true. I guess somewhere along the line, I didn't grasp the full visual. So I am providing a few more details to assist anyone else.

Here's a diagram of our exact sleeper car with one exception - ours had a 2nd family bedroom in place of the handicapped stateroom being shown.

Look closely at the lower level. This is where all family bedrooms are located - 1 at each end. At the one end, the unit is surrounded by the bathrooms & shower. This seemed to have a greater lack of privacy compared to the other end surrounded by 4 roomettes.

When you glance down the hall, you are staring right at them. Unfortunately, any person seated in that visible section of the couch faces right at everyone walking in the hallway. You can't help but look at each other when you're down there.

Notice how close they are to the roomettes. Now picture the opposite end which is that close to the bathrooms.

People tend to leave their doors open for air and extra space in the sleeper cars, so those poor guys are sitting right in front of you as you approach to use the facilities.

(Unfortunately, I wasn't able to photograph the other side by the bathrooms as a family occupied it)

My personal opinion (based solely on an initial impression of course) is that given their location and proximity, I can honestly say this would not be a preferred choice for us.

If anyone has stayed in one and enjoyed it, that's great. They are bigger and do allow everyone to be together which is a plus for a young family of 3 or 4.

Superliner Bedroom

Our Superliner Bedroom is ideal for two passengers, but can accommodate three (two passengers must share the lower berth). Call 1-800-USA-RAIL for help reserving the Superliner Bedroom for three passengers. Each room has a large sofa with two individually reclining sections, and a reclining easy chair. At night, the sofa converts to a comfortable bed, and an upper berth folds down from above. All Superliner Bedrooms feature private, self-enclosed restrooms with toilet, sink and shower. All Bedrooms are located on the upper level of our double-decker Superliner train cars.

The Superliner bedroom corridors are very narrow which gives you an idea of how spacious they are. Not sure why they are limited to 2 adults

Superliner bedrooms are configured two different ways on the Auto Train. First is where the bathroom entrance faces the door on the right when you walk in. There seemed to be only one with this layout per car - always the last cabin at the very end.

All of them have the same roomette type setup with two seats facing one another in front of the windows. Apparently, I did not photograph the seat tucked in around the corner facing the sofa.

The second layout, (majority of them) is where the bathroom entrance faces the window in the back.

They all have this bathroom//shower combo. (w/drain in the floor)

After touring them both, we preferred the layout with the bathroom entry facing the front as you walk in. Seemed a much better design in relation to the window seats.

Coach Seating

Here are a few random shots we took of Coach. (sorry some are not the best quality)

A completely empty car w/ overhead storage

JQ testing out one of the front two seats in the car - fully reclined.

Second row - spacing and full recline

JQ's right. Iron Man would have been fine here. But I'm glad we upgraded him all the same.

Next up Part V dining some random shots and a wrap.

Last edited:

Loving the report. You're doing a really good job and the pictures are great.
Keep going PI, you're making me excited for the Sept trip.

We've been in a bedroom twice. They are, IMHO much better than the roomettes, DH likes having a restroom right there in the room. However they can be cost prohibitive. We do just fine in a roomette - I'm 6' DH is 6'2". The only problem comes in getting into the upper bunk, he's usually up there and there isn't very much "head room" if you try to sit up. You have to kind of scrunch over and roll in. Once he's there, he's good though. We have also done coach and had no problem there. Not as private or comfortable as a roomette, but if cost is a factor, coach is an OK way to travel.
We did a Family room one time and although it was spacious for 2 people, it was the worst rocking for trying to sleep I had ever experienced. Not quite sure what the deal was with that.

Thank you! We are taking this coach in four weeks! Pictures are so helpful!

thanks and welcome! I'm so glad the pictures are helping! Enjoy your trip!

Loving the report. You're doing a really good job and the pictures are great.
Keep going PI, you're making me excited for the Sept trip.

We've been in a bedroom twice. They are, IMHO much better than the roomettes, DH likes having a restroom right there in the room. However they can be cost prohibitive. We do just fine in a roomette - I'm 6' DH is 6'2". The only problem comes in getting into the upper bunk, he's usually up there and there isn't very much "head room" if you try to sit up. You have to kind of scrunch over and roll in. Once he's there, he's good though. We have also done coach and had no problem there. Not as private or comfortable as a roomette, but if cost is a factor, coach is an OK way to travel.
We did a Family room one time and although it was spacious for 2 people, it was the worst rocking for trying to sleep I had ever experienced. Not quite sure what the deal was with that.

thanks for the vote of confidence Kris! It's good to get back to this report!
I hear you about the logistics of the top bunk. I think it's perfect for a smaller person but couldn't imagine a senior couple maneuvering it.

JQ and I actually shared the lower bunk (we tend to do that) so I have no clue how someone our age climbs up there but that visual of Don was very helpful. thanks.

and yeah, the superliner bedrooms were awesome. Saw many couples in them. I know we would have been very happy there, too.

Interesting to hear your experience with the family stateroom. Just another example of why it wouldn't be our preference.

We've been questioning how our cabin was virtually motionless the entire trip and we think it's because the last passenger car may be better stabilized by the weight of the vehicle cars pulled behind it. Who knows?

Auto Train Part 5

Dining and More

Before we get to the food, here are the photos we took from the downstairs of that empty Coach Car. (Again my apologies for the poor quality of some of these photos but I wanted to share them as best I could)

First this station was right by the stairwell on the upper lever of coach before you walk down. (I noticed there were cups - but didnt see any water) hopefully someone can let us know if they do provide water to coach passengers.

And this storage area was at the foot of the stairwell on the lower level.

Peering thru the looking glass - was a lower level & HA coach seating area on the one side. (door was locked! )

The opposite side were all bathroom facilities - A HA bathroom; a changing room / bathroom combo; a womens lounge with an inside bathroom stall; and another stand alone bathroom.

I photographed the HA bathroom

And took pictures of the womens lounge (w/enclosed stall inside)

I thought this was really nice! When you open the door, you are immediately greeted by a dual sink and vanity area.

Plus, there's this second door to a stall inside the lounge on your right, which is the same standard size bathroom they have throughout the train.

Hopefully someone can confirm if the womens lounge and changing facilities are provided in all Coach Cars or unique to the HA section we happened to be in.

One more thing, since were on the subject of facilities. This is the shower/changing area combo in our Sleeper Car.

The KFC bucket you see in the changing room had those little wrapped bars of soap weve all grown to love from our roadside motel days.

And yes! We did shower the morning we arrived in Sanford. So we can attest to the handheld shower and water pressure working excellent. (We did this at the recommendation of a fellow Diser (henlady) and really appreciate the suggestion - we were fresh, clean and ready to start our day when we arrived)

JQ wanted me to point out that the shower drain opens straight down onto the moving tracks! So Enjoy!

Ok moving onward and upward to Dining!!

Two questions I had regarding this:

1. where do you go? and
2. how do you pass between the cars to get there?

Well, apparently you go to one of two places:

The Lounge Car - bar and open seating area to hangout w/tv. (May even have WiFi.)

Or

The Dining Car - open for dinner and breakfast only.

And here's how you get there:

At the end of each car you arrive at this door.

You can press with your foot or hand and it will automatically open to this pass thru connector between the cars.

You then press the opposite door to open the other side and walk on through.

And just in case you get disoriented over the long haul, and start wandering toward cabins that all look like yours, each Car has this BIG NEON sign with its number on it right by the doors as you pass by. Not that anyone will notice!

But it is good to know you have this helpful late night guide, especially after a few complimentary indulgences during ones 18 hr experience.

Next up: Food and Fun!!

Last edited:
I slept like a baby. No problems with noise or rocking at all.

When I was in the shower I could see the tracks wizzing bye through the drain grate. Interesting, I guess that's not pollution.

After having a roomette, coach would definitely be a different experience. Although there seems to be plenty of leg room, storage is less convenient. I'm sure I would be fine on this train no matter what.

I would like to try a Superliner bedroom some day. They look very comfortable but they would have to be running a special price.

Great report & loving all the pictures. Very informative.:)

We leave next week - have not been on auto-train since 2010. Family is really excited to travel on the train again!!

Thanks for the awesome pictures!! Can't wait till we board in 22 days!! It will be our 10th Autotrain Trip.

Just to add - the deluxe bedrooms some have walls that slide (think pocket door) and 2 deluxe bedrooms become one large 'suite'. We have traveled that way a few trips. It is nice that the family isn't split up for the trip and I have an extra hand (DH) for the trip.

Really enjoying your report, we caight an Amtrak from Chicago to NYC a couple of years ago in a Roomette and we enjoyed it too :goodvibes

Really enjoying your pics of the auto train! We lived in Fredericksburg for several years and never took the auto train down to Florida (well we only went three times to WDW in 10 years but would have been fun to try - esp to see scenery and have your car with you at the end of your journey!). Wish they had something like that here on the West Coast (I live in the LA area now and would like to take a trip back up to Oregon but would like to have my car at the end of the journey - my car won't make the trip both ways).

Can't wait to read more!

Dining on the Auto Train

One good thing about the Auto Train is that all passengers are served a complimentary dinner, (including wine) and a continental breakfast in the Dining Cars no matter which class they travel in.

In addition, Sleeper Car guests are treated to a wine and cheese reception in the Lounge Car upon boarding.
***update: the wine and cheese reception is no longer offered on the Auto Train***

Sounds great! So we immediately picture this fancy concierge spread with a wide variety of fruit and wine and cheese. Yeah right! Which train are you on?!?

Here's the café lounge set up for the reception (not the best shots but you get the idea). Notice the whole fruit display and spicy snack bowls available for the taking.

The cash bar is in the center.

The complimentary wine was at a booth behind it.

A light snack area was also set up near the bar.

Here's what we brought back. (using their convenient cardboard carry-out boxes)

Yes, we had bigger plans than we could manage with those plates. So here's a photo of the leftovers packed and ready to go.

I have gotten in the habit of bringing a few containers when we travel. Really comes in handy for storing and transporting food throughout the trip.

Despite our lack of perspective, this was a very welcome reception after a fairly long day so far. And truthfully, they didnt have to - but we were thankful they did.

Moving on to Dinner!

You are assigned one of three dining times. We had first seating at 5:00 pm.

They make several announcements over the intercom for each dinner service. They also warn guests that a later seating may not be available if they miss their assigned time.

We were greeted to this beautifully set table.

The coach menu per Amtraks website:
http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/287/182/Auto-Train-Coach-Dining-Car-Menu-201304.pdf

The sleeper car menu (w/caloric content - gotta love that!)

***update: The coach and sleeper car menus are consolidated into 1 dining menu now***

Website version:
http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/245/213/Auto-Train-Sleeper-Dining-Car-Menu-201304.pdf

Our choices:

Grilled chicken piccata - w/gluten free sauce; three grain rice pilaf and seasonal veg.

Amtrak signature steak - grilled USDA choice Angus flat iron steak (w/o the red wine/beer sauce); baked potato and seasonal veg.

New York cheesecake - w/chocolate sauce or raspberry topping. We ordered one of each. Here's the chocolate.

Scoop of vanilla ice cream

Again, keeping in mind we're on a train, and it's included in the fare, this wasn't a bad meal at all. We were well fed, comfortable, and provided great service with a great view - all the while continuing to journey South!

They do an excellent job to keep things moving on the Auto Train. You cannot beat this set up! Time seemed to pass very quickly for us.

In fact, that night we were just hanging out playing dice when Charles (our attendant) finally had to kick us out of our roomettes to a couple empty ones, so he could finish up the turn down service. He said we could use them as long as we wanted but he was going to bed! We really liked him. He was great!

Ok enough of that. Moving on to the morning.

Lets have some breakfast!

We were awake before 6am - which is normal for us.

Breakfast is served from 6-8 am. It is First come - First serve
They do not announce this over the intercom - so be prepared and get there early!

We arrived around 6:40 am and were just in time to grab the last booth available in the Dining Car. Everyone who came along behind us was instructed to put their names in and wait in the lounge.

Breakfast is continental: cereal, juice, coffee, and a bread basket.
Here are some photos.

All tables are pre-set this way when you sit down.

Your server will bring coffee, tea etc and muffins and bagels. (we took a few things to go!)

It was nice to sit and relax and enjoy the view.

Heres our train rounding a curve. JQ was working to get shots like these the entire trip. This is the best he managed.

Front - engine and superliner car

Back - the many auto cars

One more note on the subject of food -

Apparently the Lounge Car / Bar provides additional cash options.

Here is a current menu for the Auto Train Lounge listed on the website.

http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/323/912/Auto-Train-Cafe-Menu-201012.pdf

This is the display behind the counter

(unfortunately we did not patronize the lounge, and can't vouch for the listed offerings or pricing - so use it as a guide only)

Next up: Good Morning WDW!!

Last edited:
I know I sound like a dork, but I found the auto train portion of your TR so interesting! I would love to try the train someday - I think my kids would get a kick out of it - but there is no directly route from Chicago to Orlando. Anyway, great report so far! Looking forward to more :goodvibes

Great report & loving all the pictures. Very informative.:)

We leave next week - have not been on auto-train since 2010. Family is really excited to travel on the train again!!

Thanks!!! How exciting to be leaving so soon. Have a great trip!

Thanks for the awesome pictures!! Can't wait till we board in 22 days!! It will be our 10th Autotrain Trip.

Just to add - the deluxe bedrooms some have walls that slide (think pocket door) and 2 deluxe bedrooms become one large 'suite'. We have traveled that way a few trips. It is nice that the family isn't split up for the trip and I have an extra hand (DH) for the trip.

Wow! Your 10th trip! That's really great!

Never realized some deluxe bedrooms could be opened up. We toured two but can't recall seeing an adjoining wall. That must have been quite the suite! Something to dream about! A nice luxurious ride.

Really enjoying your report, we caight an Amtrak from Chicago to NYC a couple of years ago in a Roomette and we enjoyed it too :goodvibes

Thanks. Glad you're enjoying it. Living in NJ, we've taken the Amtrak and NJ Transit commuter trains to NYC many times. This was our first long distance trip by rail. Loved the Superliner and really loved the roomette! Very affordable and very comfortable.

Really enjoying your pics of the auto train! We lived in Fredericksburg for several years and never took the auto train down to Florida (well we only went three times to WDW in 10 years but would have been fun to try - esp to see scenery and have your car with you at the end of your journey!). Wish they had something like that here on the West Coast (I live in the LA area now and would like to take a trip back up to Oregon but would like to have my car at the end of the journey - my car won't make the trip both ways).

Can't wait to read more!

Hi and welcome! Really glad you're here! We debated this train back in forth from NJ for years so I can imagine weighing the options living in VA.
That road trip is so much closer than ours! Airfare may be cheaper too.

Our girls live in San Diego now and we visit the West Coast often. I've seen the Amtrak pacific surfliner and coaster ride right down the beach in Del Mar. What a sight!

We think the autotrain has such a unique ready market here on the east coast with all the snowbirds they easily run the same route. So many of us North Easterners migrate to Florida on a repeat basis.
We just can't help ourselves!!:rotfl2:

I know I sound like a dork, but I found the auto train portion of your TR so interesting! I would love to try the train someday - I think my kids would get a kick out of it - but there is no directly route from Chicago to Orlando. Anyway, great report so far! Looking forward to more :goodvibes

Thanks and welcome! You're not a dork at all! This train is really unique and we found it fascinating! Yeah, no direct route from Chicago. You'd have to drift East quite a bit, plan a day trip to D.C. - then hitch a ride. Now that would be a vacation!

I am enjoying your trip report! We leave in 3 weeks for our first AT trip and your report has been so helpful. We are slumming in in coach, but would love to try a room some time.

I am enjoying your trip report! We leave in 3 weeks for our first AT trip and your report has been so helpful. We are slumming in in coach, but would love to try a room some time.

Welcome! So glad you found us here. We would be have been right along with you guys in coach had we not gotten lucky with that roomette price of $125.00

I'm not sure how we would have balanced it out with time, travel, leisure and entertainment a more public open setting. It would definitely require quiet methods of fun.

Good time to catch a popular series or movie collection I'd always wanted to see.

Enjoy your trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter