Auto train how to do it.

FIVEFANS

Mouseketeer
I know this is a transportation post...... but I want the expert, done this before DVC type info.....

Where is the best information, book, web site, etc......

We have a family room, sleeping two adults and three kids....(one is two) and we have no clue.....

Do we want on first or last? If we get on last do we get bad dinner time? Are the showers like a campground or the GF? What do you have for me.... I am all earspirate:

last dinner is at 9:00 or so---obviously not OK for young kids! You can call amtrak when you make your reservation and ask for in cabin dining---a perk of having a sleeping car. Then, when you check in, if they only have late dining, you can have dinner delivered to your room earlier--make sure you let your cabin steward know when you get on train.
The waiting area is large, airy, clean and very nice, in case you arrive early. We usually shoot to arrive at 1 PM. No one gets on the train prior to 3 PM.
There is a lounge car that will be open before dinner with free wine and small snacks. We always rent the pre-loaded DVD player (about $35). Showers are private little booths that lock with private changing area outside your shower. Take lots of snacks for the kids--have fun! Elaine

It is such a fun adventure, particularly if your kids like trains. My son was over the moon his first time at 3. You've never seen a happier kid! It was just the two of us, so we had a little pullman compartment. Loved it! But I was envious as we passed those family sleepers.

I liked eating in the dining car. Felt like a whole throwback to a different era. We made sure we were among the first ones on the train. It's not like being on plane where you can't move around.

Just be sure to PACK efficiently. Take snacks and ANYTHING you need from your car. I almost ran out of pullups the first time, so that was a bit scary.

Sooo glad you asked. We love and take the AutoTrain every trip to Florida now. Your dining will be assigned at check in. You can choose between 5, 7, or 9pm. It does not matter when you board the train. Typically the dining fills up for the earlier hours first... so get to the station early, check-in and get what you want. The Lorton station is very nice and waiting an extra hour won't feel stressful. The train leaves promptly at 4pm, but they start loading at around 3:15. Get on early, get your things in place in your room and make your way to the lounge car for the wine and cheese freebies. The early bird gets a seat in the lounge car.

Pack ONLY what you need for the night... space is minimal.

Once you arrive you will find the Sanford station is not nearly as nice as the Lorton station, but you only have to step outside and wait for your number to be called to get your car and be on your way.

They show a movie at 7 and 9 pm in the lounge car. Again... earlybird gets the seat. We like to eat at 5pm and immediately go to the lounge car to grab a seat for the 7pm movie. The movies are usually a pretty recent release. We don't usually go to the movie theatre so we have had good luck with not having seen them yet.

Dinner is a very nice meal... Cooked to order. It is a limited selection between a beef, chicken, pork, fish, or vegie meal. Very nice with salad and desert... (great deserts) served on china. Each meal selection comes with predetermined vegetables and as much wine as you wish. Or sodas, water, and/or coffee.

Breakfast is served as you come from 6am until about 8am. This is mainly cereals, bagels, muffins, fruits, and beverages.

Hope you all have a great time :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter