• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Auto Train (Autotrain) trip report

We have taken the Auto Train several times. Unfortunately, the kids (up to 2 kids) ride free with a paying adult ends late September and we are traveling in October this time. We'd have to pay for three kids. Ouch. We're driving this time.

I want to say we waited about an hour for the car to be unloaded. It was in August and the train was full. It doesn't matter if you are loaded first or last there is no way to predict when your car will unload. The car carriers are detached from the actual train- they load the cars and then connect just before the train leaves the station. Make sure you are seated when they connect the carriers bc it will knock you off your feet if you aren't sitting or holding on. They will make an annoucement about sitting when connecting.

Yes we have found them to be very careful w/ the cars. They do video tape the outside of the vehicle when you pull up to get out. We have traveled 6 times and have not encountered any problems.

Yes it is recommended to lock your valuables in the trunk of the car. If you have a valet key you can give it to them. Make sure you have all the belongings that you need when you unload. There is not way of going back to the car to get something left behind.

Hope this helps

Hi everyone,

We are thinking about taking the auto-train next August. I have 2 questions...
1- When does the promotion of 1 child for free start?
2- We are members of CAA the american version of AAA... Do we still get a discount?

If I remember correctly the promotion for kids travel was offered in April but this past year it was for $19 travel - not free like the year before.

Just to let you know the further out you book the trip the cheaper it will be. The closer the departure date is the more expensive it is. Alsothe ticket will include a dinner and a breaksfast per person also.

I believe they will also honor CAA too. If you call 1800SKIPI95. that is the number for the autotrain. they can let you know exactly about CAA. Or check you CAA site for the discount area and see if Amtrak is listed.

We are already booked for August 10 - 19th. This is our 5th year traveling on the Autotrain. My dc love this part of the trip.

I'd be happy to help if you have any more ?'s

Thank you for your quick reply,

We called and got a great rate. I think... We are paying 848.00 for return tickets. We got AAA discount using our CAA cards. Now waiting for August to roll in.;)
It will be a different experience for us, we are looking forward to it.

Thank you for your quick reply,

We called and got a great rate. I think... We are paying 848.00 for return tickets. We got AAA discount using our CAA cards. Now waiting for August to roll in.;)
It will be a different experience for us, we are looking forward to it.

$848 for one way?

Sorry Lisa, that was for both ways... We are 2 adults my DD will be 16 and my other DD is 10. We will be riding coach. I think the girls are old enough to ride in coach without being to distracted. We don't plan on sleeping much. We will just relax and enjoy the ride. My youngest DD is very excited about doing something new. My teenager is complaininig but they all do at that age.

Sorry Lisa, that was for both ways... We are 2 adults my DD will be 16 and my other DD is 10. We will be riding coach. I think the girls are old enough to ride in coach without being to distracted. We don't plan on sleeping much. We will just relax and enjoy the ride. My youngest DD is very excited about doing something new. My teenager is complaininig but they all do at that age.

Ahh ok.. I am getting $9xx for 2 adults, 3 kids but I am waiting to see if they do the kids free promo again.

Just be prepared for delays..It doesn't happen all the time but it can. Our trip in 2007 on the way down we didn't get in till 5pm and out return train was canceled and we had to drive home.

Hi again,

We are driving from Montreal, canada. We plan on driving down the day before and stay at a hotel close to Lorton( 1 or 2 hours away max). Any suggestions. Of course somewhere safe decent and not to expensive....

We have stayed in the Comfort Inn- Gunston Corner. It is just on the other side of the highway from the station. We stayed there about 5 yrs ago and it was very clean/safe. There is a pool too. They offer breakfast also. They have a special auto train rate too. Their address is 81820 Silverbrook Rd, Lorton.

Hope this helps

Ahh ok.. I am getting $9xx for 2 adults, 3 kids but I am waiting to see if they do the kids free promo again.

Just be prepared for delays..It doesn't happen all the time but it can. Our trip in 2007 on the way down we didn't get in till 5pm and out return train was canceled and we had to drive home.

If your decision on whether to take the AutoTrain hinges on getting the kids free/discounted promo, then you are wise to wait.

If however, you are going on the Auto-Train regardless, and are just holding out to get a better rate, then you are better off booking the tickets now.

As seats get sold, the Amtrak ticket prices increase. Barring the kids free promo, the prices won't go down.

But, unlike airline fares, Amtrak tickets are fully refundable as long as you haven't had the tickets printed/sent to you.

We live near an Amtrak route, so what I've done each time we have gone on the Auto train, is book as soon as possible - but I only have the tickets printed at the local station about two weeks before the trip. If you are not near a convenient station, you should be able to give yourself a little more leeway and call Amtrak to have them print and send the tickets a month or so before the trip.

OK many questions where does this leave from? Is it cheaper than flying? We are in CT and looking to go to WDW late Sept. Thanks I was curious about this? Do you bring your own car?

We are from central CT and have traveled on the AT for the last 6 yrs in August. We leave at 2 am the day of departure. We are able to bypass all rush hour traffic. We usually hit Maryland for breakfast around 7am. We hang out for almost an hour. We arrive in Lorton at approx 11 am. We do make about 4 bathroom stops too w/ the kids so our time might be a little longer than others. (a stop for us can take 20 mins btn unbuckling/rebuckling car seats). We grab lunch nearby the station and hit our favorite $1 store. We always bring our own vehicle. We pack an overnight bag w/ change of clothes, bathroom essentials. We also take stuff to keep the kids amused- DVD players, game units, cards.

Your ticket will include a diner and breakfast too. There is also a movie shown in the lounge car but we have never attended them. We have traveled in Coach and Sleeper before. At the moment I prefer Sleeper bc w/ ds2 it is easier to have him sleep than trying to hold on to him in coach. He is a tosser/turn and I don't think I slept a wink on our return trip last time.

The train leaves by 4pm. We have left earlier if everyone is loaded. Diner times are 5 and 7 and possibly 9. Lights are turned down in Coach by 9 pm.
We usually sleep until 630. We check to see if we are ahead or behind time. Most of the time we have been early. We grab Breakfast and pack up = our arrivals have been around 830am. Waiting for ur car to unload can take some time. We were lucky a few yrs in a row when our van came off #3 and #5. Sometimes it has been almost an hr wait for the vehicle to come off. We generally check in at our resort by 1030.

If you take the train you have to have the mind that it is part of the adventure. Be prepared for delays. We have always packed extras in the event of a delay (meds/diapers/formula). In the past we have been several hours late in arrival. Aug 2008 our return train was cancelled due to TS Fay. The next avail train out was 5 days later. We opted to stay at disney. We were told that the train 2 days after our reg sch departure - that train was delayed 17 hrs on the tracks! Soo glad we couldn't get on that train. We always have an open day on arrival and give ourselves an extra day on our return.

The autotrain can be cheaper than airfare/parking/baggage charges. For our family of 6 it is a cheaper option plus we have our vehicle w/ us which is a great big plus. Some people may say it is not cheaper as in time length. My dc just found out that we can be in WDW in 2hrs w/ flying. At the moment DH works for Amtrak so we get to travel for free and that sure beats paying over $2000 for tickets. Our dc LOVE the train. We purchased DVC so traveling is a big part of the budget. If DH no longer had that perk we would still use the autotrain bc it is still cheaper than flying for our party size.

The further you book the trip out the cheaper it is. the closer to departure the more expensive it gets. If you have AAA or AARP there is also discounts.

If you have any other ?'s I'd be happy to assist
good luck w/ your decision

We are booking the Autotrain for the first time and I am wondering if our return trip gets delayed like yours did can we get a refund for our trip frpm Orlando to Virginia? We live in Virginia so it wouldn't be too big a deal if we had to wind up driving home.

We are booking the Autotrain for the first time and I am wondering if our return trip gets delayed like yours did can we get a refund for our trip frpm Orlando to Virginia? We live in Virginia so it wouldn't be too big a deal if we had to wind up driving home.

When mine was canceled I did get a refund but it took awhile. About 4-5 weeks .

I have done the Amtrak AutoTrain at least 6 times over the last 10 years. It is always a pleasant and relaxing experience. We used to get roomettes but last time we decided to get the bedrooms on the top floor of the car. They have private bathroooms as opposed to publicly shared bathrooms. It is more expensive but was a great experience. I actually very much enjoy the train. It is forced relax time for me. Nothing to do but look out the window, read a book, or chat with your travel companion.

This thread is from 2008
Lots of currently incorrect information.
@pmdeve It would be better to start a new thread and ask your question rather than risk confusing folks with outdated info.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter