• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Autism-GAC Made a Huge Difference

ladyjubilee

Mouseketeer
We just got back from 8 days at the park. I'd heard about changes in how the GAC were being handled, but we found it pretty much worked like last year.

I did take a letter from the doctor, and asked that Guest Services read it. Whether that meant GS just held it for a second, or actually read it, I don't know, but it did make me feel better.

Initially the GAC didn't quite work the way we needed it to-meaning the accomodation didn't help us address his need. I went back to GS, explained what wasn't working, and what had been on a previous GAC--I'm guessing my son being in full autism mode by then may have helped illustrate the point :). For the first time GS told me that we should ALWAYS keep our GAC from the previous visit if it met the need, then they can just look at the old card and know what to do. No one had ever told me that before--and darn it, if I haven't already lost this year's card AND my driver's license and credit card which were all together.

I think the big thing is that just saying, "he has autism" isn't quite enough to tell someone what the issues are--specially when there are actually issues including medical issues. Had he not been unusually calm when we first got the pass, the GS probably would have known what we needed just from observation, but I should have been clearer. In truth, I sort of forget the accomodations we make in our everyday life because we just do it----and, this is some what off topic, I also forget what being in the 1% range means cause we're just used to it. Its a bit disconcerting to be around babies and reconize the behaviors.

Because they did such a great job accomodating his needs, we only had 1 really big ride meltdown--TSM. Ironically, the less crowded space was actually WAY more crowded than the normal line, which started the ball rolling, then we got stuck on the ride......and ended up being let off in the "wrong" place. I think the CM were trying to be helpful and get us off quickly due to the meltdown, but unfortunately, it just added "wrong" to the crowded, loud and unpredictable. But again, I really think they were trying to be helpful when they saw him start loosing it.

We did get to do character Meet and Greets this time. Maybe its always been the same, but this time it seemed like the lines moved differently for some of the characters. We were able to fast pass for the Princesses, and the lines for characters in the Animation section of DHS were very short and in a very big space. The space for Merida is enclosed, but not cramped and is shaded and cool. And big shout of praise for Chip at Merida--Merida's assistants really go the extra mile and seem experienced with special needs kids. Chip even helped my son gather leaves to fly and shred....and got my son shoot the arrow!!! We were amazed.

We did sit in the disabled access for the light shows. We'd told the CM that if they needed the space we'd move, but I'm glad we did. During the Epcot show my son who normally loves fireworks couldn't take it (the fireworks were just too close). Had we been squished in as tightly as some non roped areas, I wouldn't have been able to get him out of the crowd fast enough.

We did learn one lesson the hard way. We waited till the Monorail line thinned out---only because the line was getting low, they closed the Monorail. That meant we had to be squished on to the ferry.

Finally, My son is 41lbs and around 42"--the City Mini did hold him, but it was VERY uncomfortable to push. The entire family thought the Disney Strollers were easier to push. Next trip we'll have to try something else.

Glad it worked out for you.

We got one for the first time this trip - first week of June. My son has autism.

GS wouldn't look at the Dr's note. But it didn't seem to matter. We didn't have any problem at all using the GAC.

It was such a huge help between the weather - rain and heat, and the crowds. It cut down on so much wait time.

Thanks or your report.
Glad things went well for you.

For people who want to know more about Guest Assistance Cards - there is more information in post 6 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread. You cn follow the link in my signature to get there.

Two comments-
It is important to be able to explain your needs because no 2 people with the same condition are exactly the same, so just saying "autism" or "cerebral palsy" or whatever the condition is doesn't really tell the CMs what you need.

Toy Story Mania is one of the attractions where all guests who use a mobility device or have trouble with steps for any reason need to go to the accessible boarding area. Because of that, the accessible boarding area is usually very busy and the wait there can be a long time standing in one spot.
The accessible boarding area is a small loop of track that allows the CMs to hold a ride car pod off the main track for someone who needs more time to get in or out of the ride car. When the car is ady to go on the ride, they flip a switch and the rail moves to open the way for that car to enter the main track.

If they have to transform the ride car to let someone ride in their wheelchair, the CMs are allowed to 'call' one regular ride car pod to the area. That is because of the time it takes to convert the ride car back and forth.
They will often pull a family who does not need the accessible car and then pull a regular car into that loading area for that group. When that group's ride is over, their ride car will bypass the accessible loading area and go right to the regular exit.
That is apparently what happened to your family.
To avoid the extra wait/standing and possibility of unloading in a different spot, you may want to go up the stairs instead of using the stairs bypass.

Small World is another ride with the same type of issue. All guests with mobility devices have to use the accessible boarding area. On our last trip in April/may, I had been doing something else while DD and DH went into the accessible line for Small World. They had already been waiting for about 20 minutes when I came to the attraction and got into the regular line, since they were too far down in the narrow accessible line for me to join them. The posted wait time was 20 minutes and I actually waited 15.
I ended up 3 boats behind DD and DH, so they actually waited more than 35 minutes, where I waited about 15.

So, the accessible area is not always the best choice to avoid waiting and can be as hard or harder to get out of because it can be harder to get out past mobility devices than just people.

LOVE the suggestion about keeping and bringing the old GAC card - I'd never heard that one before! About four trips ago, a very helpful castmember gave us the perfect GAC which, for reasons unknown to me, prompted the castmembers at each ride where there was a moving walkway to slow it down to snail speed as my 17 year old son (with severe ASD) has great difficulty with them. Since then, we have explained the need when we get to guest services, but have been unable to replicate the pass. I think its because he walks in the building very well, and has no mobility issues. For him, its strictly fear. It's irrational, but i'm not able to exactly reason with him about it, and trying to get him on one results in a total meltdown. They will slow it down for us still, but it requires alot of explaining on our part each time, and usually a practical demonstration of his fear, which we would like to avoid :scared:.
Thankfully, I am a sentimental "Disney hoarder", and I KNOW I still have the GAC from that trip. It will be in my purse on the next trip into guest services this fall!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter