Australia ABD fast approaching, need help planning

It looks like we are going to have to pass on the Puffing Billy tour. Too bad, it looked like it would be a fun trip We are still sorting out the Phillip Island tour. I am waiting for replies to some inquiries.

Just thought I'd follow up here after my trip to Cairns. Planning to do a brief TR, but not sure when I'll get a chance to do it, so here's a brief overview.

Day 1: We arrived late, checked into our hotel and went for a walk. We went to one of the many information centres and booked our reef tour for Tuesday as that would be the best weather. Picked up vouchers for a $7 pub meal including beer/wine at PJ O'Brien's - the meal was fine, but the atmosphere was definitely backpacker.

Day 2: Went for a drive out to the Daintree and Cape Tribulation. It was a long drive, and we felt like we didn't achieve that much, although what we did see was lovely. Suggest an early morning if you plan to do this trip. It was our only croc sighting of the trip, by the side of a creek along one of the walks. Unfortunately it disappeared before we could get our cameras out (it was raining pretty hard so we had them all away at the time). We had Vietnamese for dinner that night (next to Outback Jack's), which was great and good value.

Day 3: We did the Kuranda Skyrail and Railway. Was a nice easy day, fairly close to town. There is a self-drive option where you can drive to the skyrail terminal, then catch the train back and they shuttle you back to the skyrail on a bus. There were some great views from both the skyrail and the railway, and it was a nice little town to explore. We had dinner at the Woolshed. I highly recommend the Cajun chicken salad.

Day 4: Our reef tour. We took the tour that went to Green Island and the outer reef. Green Island was kind of disappointing. Not much coral or particularly exciting sea life. I'm not much of a swimmer and didn't enjoy the snorkelling there, headed in before the others and did a walk around the island which was nice. They did see some sea turtles once I'd left, which would have been awesome! I got sea sick on the way out to the outer reef (each trip was about 50 minutes, then nearly 2 hours return), and was concerned about how I would recover on a pontoon, but it didn't take me too long to start feeling better. The snorkelling was amazing out there - they provided life jackets which made me feel a whole lot more comfortable. There was also an included semi-sub which was fun. It was another long day by the time we got back to Cairns. We got a pizza on the way back to the hotel from La Pizza on the Esplanade. The pizzas were expensive, but delicious!

Day 5: Road trip to Atherton Tablelands. The boat trip around Lake Barrine was nice and relaxing, but we were unlucky with the wildlife spotting. The teahouse wasn't great - fake cream on their scones and the others weren't that enamoured with their coffees. Curtain Fig was amazing, so different and impressive. We stopped at the lakes a bit further on from there where they mainly do fishing. You can also see platypus there for a $5 entry. They took a while to show themselves, but we ended up with some great sightings. The waterfalls were lovely, as was the teahouse at the start of the Waterfall Way. We also visited Paronella Park. It was a nice place to visit, and we were pleased we went, but it was very expensive and I still feel ripped off having paid $43 entry pp. It was our longest day yet, but was packed with activities.

Day 6: Fairly leisurely day with midday scenic flight over the reef and rainforest. It was the more expensive flight option, but it was SIL's birthday present so she got to choose. We all enjoyed the flight (with GBR on their fixed wing aircraft) and got some great photos. I even got to fly the plane for a few minutes! SIL and her husband went out to Crystal Cascades in the afternoon and enjoyed it. We had a late-ish dinner at Frydays, where I had great coconut prawns.

Day 7: Didn't have time to really do anything this morning before travelling home, although we did drop by the mangrove boardwalk on the way to the airport.

The Cairns Esplanade area was really nice - I spent a few mornings running down there at or around sunrise. The pool down there looked awesome, but we didn't get a chance to use it.

Oh no! How come?

There was a bit of a mix up with the booking. But after repeated attempts the tour company didn't seem all that interested in resolving the situation. We just decided to cancel. The problem is this is the same tour company that we had intended to use for the Penguin Express as their tour left much later in the afternoon. So far the other options for the Phillips Island tour that I have researched depart around noon which doesn't leave time for the Puffing Billy tour. We haven't booked anything yet so there's still a possibility we can fit in both tours. We will just have to see how things play out.

There was a bit of a mix up with the booking. But after repeated attempts the tour company didn't seem all that interested in resolving the situation. We just decided to cancel. The problem is this is the same tour company that we had intended to use for the Penguin Express as their tour left much later in the afternoon. So far the other options for the Phillips Island tour that I have researched depart around noon which doesn't leave time for the Puffing Billy tour. We haven't booked anything yet so there's still a possibility we can fit in both tours. We will just have to see how things play out.

FWIW it's very easy to do Puffing Billy without a tour. You can just take the metro train to Belgrave (Belgrave trains leave from any city station, and it's the end of the line so you won't have a problem finding the train line or knowing where to get off. There's a very short paved walk between the Belgrave metro station and the Puffing Billy station, and you can just buy your tickets there. Then when you're done, just catch the train back into the city.

You would need a penguin tour that leaves later in the afternoon to be able to fit both in though, so if you're not happy with that tour company you might be out of luck :worried:

FWIW it's very easy to do Puffing Billy without a tour. You can just take the metro train to Belgrave (Belgrave trains leave from any city station, and it's the end of the line so you won't have a problem finding the train line or knowing where to get off. There's a very short paved walk between the Belgrave metro station and the Puffing Billy station, and you can just buy your tickets there. Then when you're done, just catch the train back into the city.

You would need a penguin tour that leaves later in the afternoon to be able to fit both in though, so if you're not happy with that tour company you might be out of luck :worried:

Thanks for the info. This is still something we might consider. The only thing my girlfriend has expressed a definite interest in is the penguin tour so that is our first priority. Once we get that booked we will be able to see what else we can fit in.

The Penguins on Philip Island are pretty unique and you do see them very close when they come up the beach to their nests so it is definitely worth the trip out of Melbourne to see them.

Well, the penguin tour is finally booked. That was a little more work than I expected. The second tour company we chose was not running that particular tour on Monday, which was our only option. They did try to accommodate us on Sunday but our flight from Hobart arrives too late to meet their departure time. We did find something that fit our schedule but the tour leaves early afternoon so we have had to scratch Puffing Billy off the list unless something else falls through and we have a opening in our schedule. We have also booked a Chocolate Tour for Wednesday afternoon.

We are down to less than a month now. Panic mode is starting to set in as I still have a ton of preparations to make.

Well, the penguin tour is finally booked. That was a little more work than I expected. The second tour company we chose was not running that particular tour on Monday, which was our only option. They did try to accommodate us on Sunday but our flight from Hobart arrives too late to meet their departure time. We did find something that fit our schedule but the tour leaves early afternoon so we have had to scratch Puffing Billy off the list unless something else falls through and we have a opening in our schedule. We have also booked a Chocolate Tour for Wednesday afternoon.

We are down to less than a month now. Panic mode is starting to set in as I still have a ton of preparations to make.
How exciting!!! I hope you love it here! we need more of you Yanks to come visit here to see how amazing it is and how its really not THAT bad to travel all this way!
Did you decide on a hotel in Melbourne? (I may have missed it above?)

How exciting!!! I hope you love it here! we need more of you Yanks to come visit here to see how amazing it is and how its really not THAT bad to travel all this way!
Did you decide on a hotel in Melbourne? (I may have missed it above?)

This is a trip I promised myself I would take 20 years ago. I can't believe it's almost here. I also can't believe that after over a year of planning and shopping I am going to spend the last 3 weekends shopping for all the stuff I put off buying. I still have to get the vouchers for the Skybus (thanks to whoever provided that tip) and in another week I should be able to book the Melbourne Greeters tour.

We will be staying at the Hotel Windsor. I'll take opulent and ostentatious over sleek and modern any day. I hope it lives up to my expectations.

I was just reading the paper this morning and there is an article about the Hotel Windsor. The owners want to build a multi story addition, but the State Government won't extend their building permit.
Enjoy it while you can. It sadly may not be around in a few years.

Enjoy the countdown.

Sounds like you've got a few things planned. Shame about Puffing Billy but yay for getting the penguin tour done.

Our second full day in Sydney, ADB does surfing at Bondi Beach and lunch. My girlfriend and I will probably skip that in favor of spending more time in Sydney. Most likely we will do the hop on, hope off Explorer bus. I'm interested in the Maritime Museum and my girlfriend wants to see the Chinese Gardens. Any other suggestions for must-see attractions would be welcome. I have booked a Ghost Tour of the Rocks for the evening.

We will be on our own for dinner for 2 nights. Any recommendations for a moderately priced meal?

Honestly, don't miss going to Bondi - it looks like 'non-surfers can opt to walk with an Adventure Guide on the scenic coastal trail from Bronte to Bondi.' Do do this! Downtown Sydney and the harbour cruise show you the harbour, Bondi to Bronte face the open ocean, so a very different area. The coastal walk is well worth doing.

The Maritime Museum and the Chinese Gardens are quite close together. The Chinese Gardens are fairly compact, you won't need very long to see it, the Maritime Museum, you can spend a lot of time in there (or not), you should be able to easily manage both in an afternoon.

The exchange rate is improving dramatically for you :) It means Australian pricing is getting nearer to US pricing (a couple of years ago it would've been outrageously expensive for you)
I'm fond of Movida, they also have a lot of places in Melbourne (where they started)
Cafe Sydney might be good after the Opera House?
Chinatown (near the Chinese Gardens) has a million dining options, not just Chinese, almost any Asian cuisine can be found in the area.
Quite often, there are small bistro type places in bars/pubs/hotels. These can be very good, like Pub Life Kitchen, not TOO far from the Maritime Museum.
There are lots of dining options along the waterfront at Darling Harbour, the ones on the city side of the Harbour tend to be a little less touristy than the ones on the western side between the Chinese Gardens and the Maritime Museum (eg on the western side you have Margaritaville).

La Renaissance Patisserie and Café in The Rocks has become the first patisserie in the southern hemisphere to be officially inducted into the Relais Desserts – the world’s most exclusive French Pâtisserie association, so if French pastries are of any interest, you might like that.

Honestly, don't miss going to Bondi - it looks like 'non-surfers can opt to walk with an Adventure Guide on the scenic coastal trail from Bronte to Bondi.' Do do this! Downtown Sydney and the harbour cruise show you the harbour, Bondi to Bronte face the open ocean, so a very different area. The coastal walk is well worth doing.

The Maritime Museum and the Chinese Gardens are quite close together. The Chinese Gardens are fairly compact, you won't need very long to see it, the Maritime Museum, you can spend a lot of time in there (or not), you should be able to easily manage both in an afternoon.

The exchange rate is improving dramatically for you :) It means Australian pricing is getting nearer to US pricing (a couple of years ago it would've been outrageously expensive for you)
I'm fond of Movida, they also have a lot of places in Melbourne (where they started)
Cafe Sydney might be good after the Opera House?
Chinatown (near the Chinese Gardens) has a million dining options, not just Chinese, almost any Asian cuisine can be found in the area.
Quite often, there are small bistro type places in bars/pubs/hotels. These can be very good, like Pub Life Kitchen, not TOO far from the Maritime Museum.
There are lots of dining options along the waterfront at Darling Harbour, the ones on the city side of the Harbour tend to be a little less touristy than the ones on the western side between the Chinese Gardens and the Maritime Museum (eg on the western side you have Margaritaville).

La Renaissance Patisserie and Café in The Rocks has become the first patisserie in the southern hemisphere to be officially inducted into the Relais Desserts – the world’s most exclusive French Pâtisserie association, so if French pastries are of any interest, you might like that.

We will definitely that that under consideration. We haven't made any definite plans for that day other than the Ghost Tour in the evening so we can go either way. Thanks for the restaurant recommendations.

How exciting!!!! Make sure to check in along the way with any questions you have and also we want to hear all about it afterwards!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter