• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Aulani: What's the One Thing You Wish You Knew?

This question got me looking. Speedo makes a swim skirt that has a pocket. I might look into that. I am seriously debating a KYSS bag. I have SO many bags so I am not sure I need it.

We bought our KYSS bag a couple years ago to take on our cruise, for beach excursions, etc. turns out we have used it at Aulani, several water parks, just about anywhere you want your stuff safe and can't carry it all with you. It has been great!

No magical express, taxis if no car rental.
This question got me looking. Speedo makes a swim skirt that has a pocket. I might look into that. I am seriously debating a KYSS bag. I have SO many bags so I am not sure I need it.
a bike lock with existing bag works too, or a simple padlock.

No magical express, taxis if no car rental.
a bike lock with existing bag works too, or a simple padlock.

When we were at Aulani in October 2014, the CMs were making guests remove locked items from the chairs. I heard them tell guests it was not permitted as it prevented the CMs from removing items from the chairs after an hour of non-use. Since the resort was 98% full the CMs were very diligent about removing items from chairs.

is renting a car a must..or do they have magical express?

A rental car is not a "must" but may be more cost effective depending on how long you are staying, what you want to do, and how many people are in your party. I personally prefer the freedom and flexibility of having a car so I can do more than just the resort.

You can get a shuttle or taxi from the airport to Aulani, and then back to the airport. You can find links on the Aulani website as well the airport website.

If you want to get out and explore the island, you'll either need a car or take one of the (expensive) excursions offered at the resort. Aulani also has a shuttle that goes into Honolulu every few days.

If you want to get groceries and want a better selection than that of a convenience store, you'll either need a car or take a taxi.

You can also rent a car at Aulani and prices vary on the time of year. You can find out the price while you're visiting using the Alamo website.

When I priced the shuttle and the cost of an on-site rental for a few days, I found it was more cost efficient for me to get a car for our entire upcoming 2 week stay.

is renting a car a must..or do they have magical express?

Renting a car is not a must...especially if you do not want to pay $35/day for parking.
When we went in July, we only toured a few days with shuttles picking us up at the resort. One day we rented a car from the Aulani Alamo desk (can be cheaper if you have a Costco membership booked through Costco travel).
There is no free shuttle, but you can get a cab or take Speedi Shuttle (which can be booked through Aulani).

The trick to renting a car at Aulani is to just book with Alamo for the single day you need it. You won't incur any parking charges that way.

I also understand its possible to just book on-line from your room and then walk downstairs to get the car. I've heard you can often get a better rate than just walking up to the counter.

The trick to renting a car at Aulani is to just book with Alamo for the single day you need it. You won't incur any parking charges that way. I also understand its possible to just book on-line from your room and then walk downstairs to get the car. I've heard you can often get a better rate than just walking up to the counter.

You can rent from Alamo at the hotel?

Great, thank you all, my wife is under the impression that DVC members get free parking.... but that does not sound like the case..

Great, thank you all, my wife is under the impression that DVC members get free parking.... but that does not sound like the case..

DVC members staying on points do get free parking. We found a good weekly rate which made more sense for us even though we really only needed it a couple of days as it saved on an airport shuttle.

There is an Alamo desk onsite. The cheapest rates I found for them was booking with Costco Travel (if you are a Costco Member). We had a party of 13 and wanted to rent 2 minivans one day while we were there. Through Alamo, it was almost $400. When I checked the car rental through Costco Travel, it was half as much...even cheaper than discounthawaiicarrentals.com.

If you are staying on points, parking is free. When we went in July, it was a better rate for us to book with my SILs CM discount vs. DVC, so no free parking.
This time, we are staying on points and bringing a car, but once we get there, I know we are not going anywhere.

.....once we get there, I know we are not going anywhere.

I am clearly in the minority on this one, but I'm not traveling 4800 miles to sit by a pool or on a beach all day, every day. Aulani is a beautiful resort but Hawaii has a lot to offer as well. Even after 7 visits, I still like to get out to see and do other things. An hour or two by the pool or snorkeling in the lagoon each day is more than enough for me. Consequently, I "need" a car just to keep my sanity.

Besides, me being out and about frees up a chair by the pool for other guests. :cheer2:

I am clearly in the minority on this one, but I'm not traveling 4800 miles to sit by a pool or on a beach all day, every day. Aulani is a beautiful resort but Hawaii has a lot to offer as well. Even after 7 visits, I still like to get out to see and do other things. An hour or two by the pool or snorkeling in the lagoon each day is more than enough for me. Consequently, I "need" a car just to keep my sanity.

Besides, me being out and about frees up a chair by the pool for other guests. :cheer2:

To each their own, right?
I used to live on Oahu for many years and was just there in July. When I go in March, I will be in Maui for a week sightseeing, and then Waikiki a few days for some sightseeing. When we go to Aulani, we are staying there for a few days in order to enjoy a resort my family loves. If we don't want to leave, it is our choice not to. Not every HI vacation is the same for us.

Well, DD and I are in that minority right beside ya! Although DH could lie about most days, we need some activities and sightseeing. My perfect day is breakfast, touring/activity, late afternoon pool/beach time, dinner, then maybe a nice evening walk along the beach or something. At DH's request, I left one day for pool/beach with no touring, and DD and I were bored after a couple of hours. There was so much to see in five days and I loved every minute of it!

:beach:

To each their own, right?
I used to live on Oahu for many years and was just there in July. When I go in March, I will be in Maui for a week sightseeing, and then Waikiki a few days for some sightseeing. When we go to Aulani, we are staying there for a few days in order to enjoy a resort my family loves. If we don't want to leave, it is our choice not to. Not every HI vacation is the same for us.

We have been to HI several times, and we discovered we do not want to leave this amazing resort this trip. We still have several things to check off our to do list including Menehune Trail, walking to the other coves to look for seals and turtles, and more relaxing and playing. We switched from a studio OV room, and were able to upgrade with points to a one bedroom OV (that didn't show up on the DVC availability), and we are enjoying time on the lanai watching whales off and on everyday. There are many whales right now!

Just curious, but those of you who bought groceries for your kitchen, how often did you make dinners and what kind of dinners? What would also be the cheapest place for fresh fish?

The trick to renting a car at Aulani is to just book with Alamo for the single day you need it. You won't incur any parking charges that way.

I also understand its possible to just book on-line from your room and then walk downstairs to get the car. I've heard you can often get a better rate than just walking up to the counter.

But it is much more expensive that way.

The cost for a minivan from Alamo for a week, plus the greedy parking fee, is less than 2 days rental there.

Hi everyone! First off, Aulani is the greatest place on earth..BUT Did anyone else find the pool hours disappointing? Many of us are used to the WDW pool areas open until at least 11. Aulani seemed to close the entire area at 6-7pm the entire time I was there. I didn't bring it up to anyone, however when you're out exploring the rest of the island you normally don't return until the evening hours. I was eager to enjoy the infinity pool but I was out of luck.

Another thing that I didn't take into consideration was the lack of gas stations in Ko Olina. ZERO LOL..so I had to go back a few exits to top off my mustang before dropping it off at Alamo. I learned the first time though. Rental prices seemed reasonable; roughly $100 per day. I also had a voucher from the resort for 1 free rental which was nice. I ended up with a Honda Fit which made it easy to park in Honolulu.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter