Aulani weather and water in feb?

Rglos

Earning My Ears
Hello,

My family is planning a trip to Aulani mid feb. My only concern is that the pools may be too cold. I am high maintenance when it comes to water. I've read that the average ocean temp is 76 - I can live with that. But, how are the pools? I've read some reviews that say the water is "refreshing" or "cool" or even "too cold." Can anyone comment. I usually like the pools to be at lease 80, or higher. It also matter if the weather is cool. Has anyone been to Aulani in feb? How did you find the weather and the water temps? Thanks

I have been to Hawaii in Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Sep, Nov.

The weather has been pretty consistent regardless of the time of year. It's been warm to very warm depending on the breezes and cloud cover.

Aulani's pools are refreshing. All of the pools I've used in Hawaii have been that way. When it's that hot outside, it's cool for the first minute when you get in but then it feels really good.

I'm high maintenance about pool temps too. Everyone makes fun of me. I have to prepare myself for the first dip but after I do it I realize it's feeling just right there.

OP I've not been in Feb but you may get more responses if you ask this in the DVC section of the boards vs here as you've find quite a number of DVCers have been on trips.

Air and water temps in Hawaii are pretty much the same year-round - there is little temperature deviation. We've been at all different times of the year and have never been sad - you WILL be cold if you go to the top of any of the peaks on Maui or the Big Island though - it actually snowed on us one year on the Big Island (in May)

If you go to weather dot com and search weather in honolulu, you'll find a chart (I'd link it, but I don't have enough posts).

or you can do www dot weather dot com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/USHI0026

I grew up in SF Bay Area and lived a few years in Michigan and my family (part of which grew up in Oahu) visit annually.

That said...standing on Waikiki beach in the middle of the day almost always feels like a microwave...but it's not like that in other parts of the island, especially in the winter. There are parts of the island that is always breezy or wet, etc due to all the microclimates...and there's always going to be a couple days a week of rain/week (will come and go quickly) in the winter.

We were at the Aulani in the Nov. The pool being too cold was definitely an issue for our family...grand parents were basically covered head to toe...wife always wore a cover and we felt the pool too cold for our baby for more then 10 minutes. We would typically run to the hot tubs after a dip.

In late Nov. we stayed for a few days and definitely, for hours in the afternoon, there are parts of the pool facility completely in the shade which felt cold and windy.

These areas were totally empty..sometimes a couple of brave kids...but this shows that it's not a individual taste thing...some parts are flat out too cold for 99% of guests during cooler seasons.

Even in the lazy river...there is a shadow zone...once you go past the first bridge...where the winds keep you from flowing w/ the current...lifeguards will help you along or you can just "huff it" or pull along. These areas are OK...but generally too cold to really enjoy it.

I grew up in SF Bay Area and lived a few years in Michigan and my family (part of which grew up in Oahu) visit annually.

That said...standing on Waikiki beach in the middle of the day almost always feels like a microwave...but it's not like that in other parts of the island, especially in the winter. There are parts of the island that is always breezy or wet, etc due to all the microclimates...and there's always going to be a couple days a week of rain/week (will come and go quickly) in the winter.

We were at the Aulani in the Nov. The pool being too cold was definitely an issue for our family...grand parents were basically covered head to toe...wife always wore a cover and we felt the pool too cold for our baby for more then 10 minutes. We would typically run to the hot tubs after a dip.

That's disappointing to hear. We are planning on staying at Aulani in January. I hope they fix it. I like warm water.

We have been twice in November and if that small sampling is any indication, the weather does seem to vary a bit more than Waikiki. I agree with jchong71 that the pool water could be a bit warmer, but although I thought the weather was a little disappointing a few times while we were there in late November, our family found it totally doable and enjoyable. The year before, the weather seemed much more cooperative. To be clear, I am not disagreeing with jchong71. There were times it felt fairly cool and breezy to the point I wondered how long it would go on. I just wanted to let fellow board members know that some of us have a pretty good time there during winter months. I think it's good to hear from multiple members on these issues because then you can get a sense if it will work for your family. We're heading back for our third late November visit later this year, but I could understand why someone wouldn't want to.

Also, it's nice to see a couple Aulani threads on the Disney Resorts board. The DVC board is informative and friendly, but sometimes it is not clear whether questions are asked and answered as they pertain to DVC members, standard Aulani Resort guests, or both. Also as a daily Disboard visitor, it's fun to come across your favorite resorts in several places.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter