Aulani to WDW: The Lurkyloos' Anniversary Vow Renewal: THRILLING CONCLUSION 8/5!

P1120300.jpg

I think when they’re introducing all the presidents, they should sub in a couple random ones like “President Camacho” just to see if anyone’s paying attention!

P1120301.jpg

In the middle of the show I was stricken with a coughing fit and had to leave the auditorium so I wouldn’t wake anybody up. So I didn’t get to see how it ended—did we win?

After the show, @zzgator suddenly remembered she had to go meet someone else from Twitter who was possibly doing something more interesting than wandering aimlessly and complaining about the crowds, so we said our farewells (in 140 characters or less, natch). Then Patrick and I put on our riot gear and waded into the fray in New Fantasyland to go get our vow renewal planner Elena a souvenir.

P1120302.jpg

P1120303.jpg

P1120304.jpg

P1120305.jpg

When the crowd levels get this high, it’s time to leave the Magic Kingdom
P1120306.jpg

After agonizing over what kind of thank-you gift to get Elena, I’d decided this Beauty & the Beast-themed candy dish was the perfect gift because it’s a rare piece of merchandise unique not just to the Magic Kingdom, but to New Fantasyland specifically, and it’s also subtle enough (I’m looking at YOU, light-up plastic castle goblet) that she could have it out on her desk and no one would know it was a Disney thing. After all that, I forgot to take a picture of the darn thing, so here are a couple from the Interwebz....

Candy dish in its natural habitat
CandyDish.jpg

Candy dish up close
CandyDish2.jpg

Once that mission was accomplished, we were back to being aimless until the occasional flash of inspiration would send us off in the direction of something like the Peoplemover.

Wow. I guess Hollywood Studios isn’t the only park with a transient problem...
P1120307.jpg

When in doubt, ride the Peoplemover!
P1120308.jpg

P1120309.jpg

Amazingly, Big Thunder did not have a huge line, so we rode that and made wishes on foreign coins in the queue’s fountain (I will tell you now that these wishes did NOT come true, as our flight home was anything but uneventful..).

P1120310.jpg

P1120311.jpg

I think Big Thunder might be the most picturesque thing in all of the Magic Kingdom. Even more than the castle, just cause its coloring looks SO nice against those blue Florida skies.

P1120312.jpg

P1120313.jpg

P1120314.jpg

P1120315.jpg

P1120316.jpg

And then.... we saw a DUCK!!!

P1120319.jpg

“Look what I can do! Can you do this?”
P1120320.jpg

“We can ALL do that, Gary...”
P1120323.jpg

Meh... It’s pretty, I *guess*, but it’s no Big Thunder Mountain!
P1120321.jpg

P1120322.jpg

We tried to get into the Plaza for lunch, but the place was packed, so we cut our losses, got our bags and car, and hit Downtown Disney for something we could take to the airport with us. Something like...

P1120324.jpg

This was before they reinstated the Holiday Sandwich year-round, so I got a roast beef and Patrick got an Hawaiian (appropriate!). We supplemented these with milkshakes from Ghirardelli and hit the road. (A Ghirardelli chocolate shake with their peanut butter sauce swirled in blows Beaches & Cream’s No Way Jose shake outta the water!)

We got to MCO, got on our plane, and then had to get right back off because the shocks on one of the wheels were busted. Eventually they found us another plane, but that put us back into LA at 11pm instead of 8:30pm—not long enough to get any kind of recompense from United but long enough to be totally annoying. So much for those Big Thunder Mountain fountain wishes!

....And there endeth “Aulani to Walt Disney World: Our Fifth Anniversary Vow Renewal Extravaganza!”

Up next: (Probably) A Report on D23 Expo, plus the Thrilling Conclusion of “Epcot 30: Lurkyloo-king Back on Tomorrow”!

I didn't like seeing the word "conclusion" in your title. Maybe, just for me, you'll go back sometime and do another TR.

You've got me wondering about the phone photo, too. If I channel anything about why you took it I'll be sure to post.

The Grand Floridian is huge, isn't it? And the construction, Holy Hannah!

I didn't like seeing the word "conclusion" in your title. Maybe, just for me, you'll go back sometime and do another TR.

Just for you, I will! :thumbsup2 In the meantime, I've got a backlog of trips to WDW I haven't written up that I should probably tap... the one about Disney's Social Media Moms convention would probably be good, and I'm dying to brag about the actual Disney wedding we got invited to last year! :teeth:

Just for you, I will! :thumbsup2 In the meantime, I've got a backlog of trips to WDW I haven't written up that I should probably tap... the one about Disney's Social Media Moms convention would probably be good, and I'm dying to brag about the actual Disney wedding we got invited to last year! :teeth:

Yes, please brag about the wedding. I'm thinking the only way I'll get to a Disney wedding is by getting a job at the wedding pavilion. I would LOVE to work at Disney, but my ever so practical husband says the commute from New York is too far. :sad:

Catching up...that Italy viewing area looks like an amazing spot to see Illuminations! I had seen those stairs in Italy before and wondered where they led to...just when you think you've seen everything at WDW, you discover something new!

I think I may actually agree about Big Thunder Mountain being the most photogenic part of MK....

Thanks for bringing us along! And thanks for all of the Aulani tips--it helped me a lot!

Hi,
I always enjoy your trip reports, this one included. We were at Walt Disney World the same time you were, AGAIN! We were celebrating our #31, but didn't do as fancy as you. We did dine at Monsieur Paul's this trip. I looked very carefully in all your Walt Disney World crowd shots but didn't find us in any of them. I'll be watching for your next trip report.
Karen

Yes, please brag about the wedding. I'm thinking the only way I'll get to a Disney wedding is by getting a job at the wedding pavilion. I would LOVE to work at Disney, but my ever so practical husband says the commute from New York is too far. :sad:

I hear that's what retirement in Florida is for.... ;)

Catching up...that Italy viewing area looks like an amazing spot to see Illuminations! I had seen those stairs in Italy before and wondered where they led to...just when you think you've seen everything at WDW, you discover something new!

I think I may actually agree about Big Thunder Mountain being the most photogenic part of MK....

Thanks for bringing us along! And thanks for all of the Aulani tips--it helped me a lot!

I'm so glad to hear it! :goodvibes

Hi,
I always enjoy your trip reports, this one included. We were at Walt Disney World the same time you were, AGAIN! We were celebrating our #31, but didn't do as fancy as you. We did dine at Monsieur Paul's this trip. I looked very carefully in all your Walt Disney World crowd shots but didn't find us in any of them. I'll be watching for your next trip report.
Karen

Dang! Well, if you ever do spot us on one of your trips, be sure to say hi—it would be great to meet you! :)

Loved, loved, loved this entire TR!! Great job as usual! We'll be eating at Monsier Paul in December which I'm looking forward to and BoG as well.

I think I'm going to end up agreeing with you about the food. I think it will be slightly better than CRT (but heck, it can't be any worse!) LOL...

I feel like I somehow missed the EPCOT 30th b'day TR....how the heck did that happpen?!??! When did you start it?

Anyway....I had no idea that the Italy Overlook was actually a, you know..place, like a destination! We only got as far as the stairs! ;)
LOL...

Ta-da! All done! I want a choco-pb shake now. NOW.

I do love taking photos of BTM, the contrast makes my crappy skills look less crappy!

Wow, even Cosmic Ray's was overflowing! Too bad it was so busy on your last morning and bummer about the flight, but I'm sure you slept well by the time you got home :)

Thanks for another fun trip report :goodvibes

Sad to see such a fun trip conclude but I'm happy to know that you have more to write about. Looking forward to the next adventure!!

Thanks for sharing! As always, I really enjoy your reports! :goodvibes

I feel like I somehow missed the EPCOT 30th b'day TR....how the heck did that happpen?!??! When did you start it?

GREAT photo! You guys are so adorable.

I started the Epcot trip report pretty soon after I got back from the event last fall. I put it on hold to write the Aulani report, so I wanna go back and finish it out. Hopefully there's still some interesting stuff to write about... :scared:

Ta-da! All done! I want a choco-pb shake now. NOW.

I do love taking photos of BTM, the contrast makes my crappy skills look less crappy!

Wow, even Cosmic Ray's was overflowing! Too bad it was so busy on your last morning and bummer about the flight, but I'm sure you slept well by the time you got home :)

Thanks for another fun trip report :goodvibes

So glad you enjoyed it! The closest I've been able to get to a good at-home chocolate-pb milkshake is a pint of Haagen Dazs Chocolate Peanut Butter blended with just enough milk to make it liquid and a bit of Hershey's syrup. :cloud9:

Sad to see such a fun trip conclude but I'm happy to know that you have more to write about. Looking forward to the next adventure!!

Thanks for sharing! As always, I really enjoy your reports! :goodvibes

Hey, thanks for following along—and commenting! :love:

OK, so I've decided to break up my coverage of D23 Expo 2013 by event/attraction/show so that it doesn't take me 6 months to write up the experience. I'm hoping this will allow me to get back to my Epcot 30th anniversary report more quickly.

I don't think the DIS has a trip report category that encompasses D23 Expo, so that stuff will all be on my blog. I've started with this overview of the Expo...

http://disneytravelbabble.com/blog/2013/08/15/d23-expo-2013-third-times-a-charm/

Thanks again to everyone who followed along with this trip report!

Great ending. What a crowded last day. That picture of Splash Mtn looked interesting. I wonder exactly what they were doing. :confused3

Cool track pictures from BTMMR. You also got some great pictures of the construction at the GF. Hard to believe that building is going to be open in a couple months. :thumbsup2

Sorry about the flight delay. That is a drag that you were just under the time frame for some type of travel voucher.

Once again - loved the TR and all Patrick's pictures.

Hey, thanks for posting! OK, so to book an event you need to go through Disney Catered Events (321-939-7278), who will assign you a planner at the resort where you're staying. Yours may have to look up Italy Overlook, as many of them don't even know it's an option. Let me know if you have any trouble with them, and I'll give you some tips for getting through. Sometimes they try to discourage small groups from booking events, but this will be SO easy for them to plan, there's no reason they can't help you out.

Thank you so much, Carrie! We are back from our trip, and everything was perfect. The planner got back to me within a couple of days of first contact and knew exactly what spot I was talking about. It was the $150 plus tax, and was a simple transaction to take care of. The event was one of the highlights of our trip. My husband was quite surprised and said it was one of the best things he's experienced at Disney. PRICELESS!! Thank you so much for all of your help! :goodvibes

Cool track pictures from BTMMR. You also got some great pictures of the construction at the GF. Hard to believe that building is going to be open in a couple months. :thumbsup2

Sorry about the flight delay. That is a drag that you were just under the time frame for some type of travel voucher.

Once again - loved the TR and all Patrick's pictures.

Thanks so much for following along! I too can't believe how fast the Villas are going up. I'm starting to get a hankerin' to stay in one of them.... :teeth:

Thank you so much, Carrie! We are back from our trip, and everything was perfect. The planner got back to me within a couple of days of first contact and knew exactly what spot I was talking about. It was the $150 plus tax, and was a simple transaction to take care of. The event was one of the highlights of our trip. My husband was quite surprised and said it was one of the best things he's experienced at Disney. PRICELESS!! Thank you so much for all of your help! :goodvibes

Fantastic! :banana: I'm so glad it worked out for you guys!

Finally caught up! I love the boat ride to DTD from POR. But I think even if you go from Port Orleans that's about as much as you'll see of the treehouses - at least from what I remember.

The meal at Monsieur Paul looks very good. I haven't been planning to try it anytime soon just because of the price, but the idea to split a meal could definitely make that work! We do enjoy French food so I'd love to give it a try in the future. And lol at the Happy 5th Birthday plate!

Wow, Magic Kingdom looks packed. What time of year was this again? Remind me to never go to Disney during that time! And I bought that Beauty and the Beast candy bowl for myself. Love it!

Finally caught up! I love the boat ride to DTD from POR. But I think even if you go from Port Orleans that's about as much as you'll see of the treehouses - at least from what I remember.

OK, that makes me feel better about missing it! :D

Wow, Magic Kingdom looks packed. What time of year was this again? Remind me to never go to Disney during that time! And I bought that Beauty and the Beast candy bowl for myself. Love it!

Let's see... we were in the MK on Feb. 8 and Feb. 10. Usually that's not a very crowded time, but maybe cuz it was a Friday and a Sunday...? It wasn't as crowded as early December has become, I'll tell ya that!

Hi Carrie! I've been so far behind that my tail poked me in the eye! Thank you for sharing your anniversary trip here!

Too bad so many meals and especially desserts in the world were disappointing. I'm glad your anniversary cake turned out great! I love the limo-dinner-fireworks plan - so romantic. How rude of Patrick to be smooching you while you're trying to take fireworks photos for all of us! :lmao:

Looking forward to your next report.:cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter