Aulani - Tips for a 1st Timer?

CawfeeGuy

Earning My Ears
Hi! i'm new to this site but it comes highly recommended...
the huz (CawfeeMate) and i just booked our 1st trip to Disney’s Hawaiian Resort, Aulani (September 30th - October 8th).
Since it’s not like a regular Disney resort (read: Orlando), we’re not quite sure what to expect/plan for in regards to meals (the meal plan does not apply), transportation (there’s no Magic Express) and ‘entertainment’ (there are no parks). So, veterans, please share your advice for a couple of first timers!
thanks, in advance!

My favorite tip I would like to share that will save you a little $ during your trip would be to visit the Target or Costco just a few miles away from the Aulani resort to purchase snacks and drinks. You will also find souvenirs at these stores as well.

My favorite tip I would like to share that will save you a little $ during your trip would be to visit the Target or Costco just a few miles away from the Aulani resort to purchase snacks and drinks. You will also find souvenirs at these stores as well.
thanks! that was actually part of our plan, on the way from the airport

Been there three times, going again in April. Get to pool chairs early if you have a fav spot you want, like a chair with a view. Get the refillable mugs for coffee and soda...saves a lot if you drink thst stuff. Workout room is good but try also to do workout on the beach thst is usually scheduled early in the morning...good workout and lots of fun being outside. Go across the street for several restaurants...pizza, sushi, Mexican and the Monkeypod which has a happy hour and live music every night. The Ohana room/bar has music every night too but mostly Hawaiin. Excellent musicians but gets a little boring after a while and the appetizers are good. Do both slides but especially the one with a raft which goes directly into lazy river...so much fun. Walk the mile plus sidewalk around the lagoons from start to finish...beautiful. Relax and enjoy. Our favorite spot in the world.

If you do rent a car, you won't need to book excursions thru Aulani. It's much cheaper to book them yourself and drive to and from the locations. Look on ebay for an Entertainment Book Hawaii 2015 version, it has good local coupons and deals as well as national coupons that can be used back home. Also look into the Go Oahu Card, it's about $175 for a 3 day card, but gives you admission to 34 places as well as a bonus activity worth over $100 by itself, great value if you want to do several things away from the resort during your stay.

fantastic! thank you!!

any particular restaurants you would recommend?

also - as a general question to all - are the restaurants like the ones in WDW where it's suggested (read: required) you get a reservation 6 months in advance?

Last edited:
If you do rent a car, you won't need to book excursions thru Aulani. It's much cheaper to book them yourself and drive to and from the locations...

we were going to rent a car just from the airport and hit Target/Costco on the way to the resort; CawfeeMate wants to pick up an electric griddle and some basic groceries so we can breakfast in the room a few days.

maybe, later today, i'll look into the other activities available around the island to see if it's worth it to keep it for the week and get the Go Oahu card.

i appreciate the advice!

If you do rent a car, you won't need to book excursions thru Aulani. It's much cheaper to book them yourself and drive to and from the locations. Look on ebay for an Entertainment Book Hawaii 2015 version, it has good local coupons and deals as well as national coupons that can be used back home. Also look into the Go Oahu Card, it's about $175 for a 3 day card, but gives you admission to 34 places as well as a bonus activity worth over $100 by itself, great value if you want to do several things away from the resort during your stay.

The night time music is at the Olelo Room and sometimes at Off the Hook. We prefer an Ocean view room, but even when we got a pool/garden view we asked to be on the Waikole Valley (near the pools and lazy river). We would sit on our balcony having some cheese and crackers with wine and watching the lazy river, and the musicians and sometimes a local will be moved by the music and she will get up a hula. It was great evening IMO. Very relaxing after a day in the sun and surf. If you plan to go to Pearl Harbor and see the USS Arizona and USS Missouri you can book a reservation direct at recreation.gov, drive the north shore and if you want to surf or snorkel get recommendations from the concierge where to stop. There are garlic shrimp trucks along the north shore that I hear are excellent, but I have never tried because I can no longer tolerate much garlic. It smells wonderful. Aulani's website list a number of excursions you can book with them, but also book on your own at a lower price by contact the company direct. But this will give you an idea of things you can do. https://aulaniexcursions.pleasantactivities.com/#/Home

Another vote for stopping at Costco or Target. If your thinking of going to a luau Paradise Cove is next door and very easy to walk to. Take a walk to the neighboring hotels that also have restaurants inside.

We are actually going to be there about the same time... Sept 24th thru Oct 3rd. One of the things we are planning on doing is BBQing a couple times.. ( there are 9 of us so trying to keep the costs down a bit..). Grills are free to use, and they have all the utensils available for you.

First tip, relax :) There are A LOT of things to do there and in Oahu. We designated a "do nothing" day during our honeymoon visit in September.

- If you can, I recommend the Ewa wing (closest to the registration desk). It's closer to the hub of activities/bars.
- Aulani has a "Cultural Ambassador" stationed in the front lobby. They are great storytellers and can tell you a lot about the resort and Hawaii.
- Great food/shopping center in Kapolei. There's also a Safeway there.
- Definitely check out the tickets early to the Pearl Harbor/USS Arizona Memorial.
- If you plan a Diamond Head hike, do it as early as possible...like 7am. Very narrow trail with lots of people the later it gets.

The only time I have been there is when we took a tour when we did the Hawaii cruise in April 2012. Do they still greet you with a lei? If not I want to order one.
We are going Oct 8 to 16. We really don't plan on a lot of activities just relaxing.

If you're Costco members, they have a 4 day Go Oahu card that's less than the 3 day card direct from the Go! people. I'm joining tomorrow in order to get them for our trip in June.

Hi! i'm new to this site but it comes highly recommended...
the huz (CawfeeMate) and i just booked our 1st trip to Disney’s Hawaiian Resort, Aulani (September 30th - October 8th).
Since it’s not like a regular Disney resort (read: Orlando), we’re not quite sure what to expect/plan for in regards to meals (the meal plan does not apply), transportation (there’s no Magic Express) and ‘entertainment’ (there are no parks). So, veterans, please share your advice for a couple of first timers!
thanks, in advance!
Eat arcoss the street. The food is great and short walk.

We've been there twice. Last January we managed to spend 10 days there and did not spend one dime on food or drink at the resort. I was able to snag a Dollar rent a car for about $125 for the week...inclusive. It is a MUST. If you are a DVC member, parking at the resort is free. We really liked walking across the street to the Island Market (I think that is what it is called). They have a little bit of everything there, but I really loved getting their freshly made salad to order. But we also had a one-bedroom for 7 of the ten days, so we did a lot of breakfasts and sandwiches. If you are in a studio....I just saw the best thing at Sam's club today. A microwave egg thingie. You can make a "fried" egg and a poached egg in the microwave. Also, we had decided to alternate resort days with sightseeing days. Worked out well. One of the coolest things was walking over the rocks towards Paradise Cove (can be very dangerous with sharp rocks....water shoes are also a must!). There are usually a couple of the smaller species of sea turtles sunning themselves on the rocks. There is also a protected pool of water that is nice for snorkeling.

I had also purchased a book....I think it was called Driving Ohanu or something like that. It was very helpful!

A warning about rush hour traffic......about the worst I've seen....and I live in the northeast tri-state area. You must time your road trips accordingly.

Oh...and the grills there are gas grills, and I think there are four or six. We picked up some nice steaks at target, along with some burger patties. Target is strange because there is not a real meat or deli dept. Everything is pre-packaged. There is also an excellent Fruit and vegetable market in the same parking lot as Target called Down to Earth (I am assuming it is still there). They also do take out lunch stuff.

We did Germaine's Luau the first time....we had a blast, but I was the DD. I would opt for the Paradise Cove one since you can walk there.

The Starlight Hui at the resort was well done. We brought our own party food and drink down and had our own luau.

Have fun. We were very happy that the adult pool is strictly enforced as adult only, and also the two level adult hot tub. They must have cameras or something, because as soon as a youngster would show up, a Disney enforcer would appear.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter