• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Aulani Studio Occupancy?

Figment1983

Mouseketeer
Me, my wife, daughter (8), and son (3) will be going to Aualani next September for 7 nights. A lot of times when we go to Disney my sister tags along for a few days.....she found out we were going to Hawaii and wants to try to come for part of our stay. Maybe 2-3 nights while we are at Aulani.

My question is, can she even do that? Is Aulani set up like Poly or any of the studios with the fold down bed that holds 5? Can we get wrist bands etc?

I'm going to tell her no if there are possible issues.

No I don't think that will work. There is only the queen bed and queen pullout sofa, no murphy bed in the studio. The only way it would work is if one of your children was under 2 years and they would go in the pack and play.

There's only 2 beds in a studio. 3 adults in a studio is going to be tight!

I would get the room configuration that has 1 king bed and the queen sleeper sofa. 2 adults and a 3 year old in a king works (provided you don't need a lot of elbow room), and another adult and an 8 year old on the sleeper is doable as well. I will warn you though, don't tell Aulani you have a 5th person in there. I had a co-worker do this same thing and they ran into problems with the resort and had to upgrade their room to accommodate 5 people. They were told that more than 4 in a standard room/studio exceeds the capacity according to the fire code. I'm sure people do this all the time though. They made the mistake of mentioning it at the front desk when they asked for a third room key.

I would get the room configuration that has 1 king bed and the queen sleeper sofa. 2 adults and a 3 year old in a king works (provided you don't need a lot of elbow room), and another adult and an 8 year old on the sleeper is doable as well. I will warn you though, don't tell Aulani you have a 5th person in there. I had a co-worker do this same thing and they ran into problems with the resort and had to upgrade their room to accommodate 5 people. They were told that more than 4 in a standard room/studio exceeds the capacity according to the fire code. I'm sure people do this all the time though. They made the mistake of mentioning it at the front desk when they asked for a third room key.
I didn't think this configuration was available at Aulani. Also, the actual bed is HIGH off the ground. I didn't feel comfortable letting my 3 year old sleep on that.

I didn't think this configuration was available at Aulani. Also, the actual bed is HIGH off the ground. I didn't feel comfortable letting my 3 year old sleep on that.

Are you in a DVC studio or resort standard? If you're in a resort standard it is. DVC studio, then no

We are two adults and stayed in a standard DVC studio and it was SMALL. I couldn't imagine even having two kids in there too, say nothing about adding a third adult. I would imagine that would not be permitted due to occupancy limits anyhow, but can't say for sure. We thought the bathroom was a fine size but the sleeping area was small. We had stuff everywhere. We never pulled out the sleeper sofa because we used that to keep our stuff on, but if we had it out, there would not be much walking room and it's right next to the balcony. You may want to look at a 1 BR, especially if the sister is coming.

I was more concerned about the pool... if she's only there 3-4 nights of 10 nights the space isn't much of a concern. Have been staying in dvc studios for almost 10 years now.

Wasn't sure if the system would allow me to add to reservation so she could get wristband.

I assume the rules are the same as Waikiki where it is against the fire codes to put more than 4 in a single room hotel, If it says 4 that's what it is

And that's what I wasn't sure about, I know a lot of studios are 5, then I read something that said 4 and someone 3 or under. Want to make sure I can book it before I tell her to buy a ticket

I was more concerned about the pool... if she's only there 3-4 nights of 10 nights the space isn't much of a concern. Have been staying in dvc studios for almost 10 years now.

Wasn't sure if the system would allow me to add to reservation so she could get wristband.

Aulani is very firm on occupancy maximums and for studios it is 4. The pool area staff is very strict about wrist bands for all family members (polite but still enforce it) so I would consider a larger occupancy room if your sister is joining you. 1 bedroom units allow for 5 people so that is what you would need for her to be able to get a pool wristband

hmmmm BUT I would shoot the resort an email and ask about the 3 year old because if your son would be sleeping in the pack and play then that may be a technicality that allows another adult in the room...pretty sure it is under 3 but I would ask

Studios allow 4 persons and one toddler 2 and younger. It might be 3 and younger. But you will only get bands for 4 to use the pools and loungers,
The studios are small, mucn smaller than vgc, vgf or ssr. I donot know how they compare to blt but aulani has some of the smallest studios for dvc properties.

Unfortunately, you are going to need to upgrade room sizes or get an extra room for the nights she is there. The max occupancy is 4 people in studios and standard rooms, with an exception for a child age 2 and younger. Even if you were willing to squeeze in the room it would have to be in secret and therefore she would not get a room card and no ability to get a pool wristband. The studios are smaller than a standard hotel room, too. If budget allows, look into a 1 bedroom villa for at least part of your stay. They are very comfortable and having the kitchen and washer/dryer is great!

That would be SO tight and crowded I think. Also looks like it exceeds occupancy so it won't be an issue.
I will add--there is nice storage under the bed for suitcases so it frees up some floor space.

Studios allow 4 persons and one toddler 2 and younger. It might be 3 and younger. But you will only get bands for 4 to use the pools and loungers,
The studios are small, mucn smaller than vgc, vgf or ssr. I donot know how they compare to blt but aulani has some of the smallest studios for dvc properties.
Not so. Aulani studios are 356 square feet. SSR are 355. VGC are 379 and VGF are 375. OKW are 390. VWL are 356. BLT is the smallest at 339. So Aulani is pretty typical.

That said, occupancy is max of 4 persons and one toddler UNDER 3 years of age.

Not so. Aulani studios are 356 square feet. SSR are 355. VGC are 379 and VGF are 375. OKW are 390. VWL are 356. BLT is the smallest at 339. So Aulani is pretty typical.

That said, occupancy is max of 4 persons and one toddler UNDER 3 years of age.

Sorry but i got ssr with okw mixed up.

Actually the smallest dvc studio is akv value at 316 sq feet. And the largest is hilton head at 455 sq feet.

There are 7 dvc resorts with larger studios than aulani with 1 resort wilderness lodge that is the same size. So 7 resorts with larger studios, 1 same size and we throw out akl as they have values that are smaller but kidani studios that are larger. Seven resorts out of 11 with larger studios makes aulani one of the smallest.

Bottom line, someone would be missing a wrist band for pool play. You MIGHT be able to get away with having the 3 year old missing his band, I did see a few people without their bands on when I was there, and especially on small kids it wouldn't be too noticeable, but it would be a risk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter