• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Aulani - rental/transportation

leelee9878

DIS Veteran
Hello, I know that everyone suggests getting a rental, and I fully agree and plan to do so. However, I am trying to do this trip as cheap as possible (which is a task to begin with because Hawaii is so expensive. While looking for car rentals I am finding just over $300 for a week from HNL. If I were to rent to the Alamo in property it is over $100 cheaper. I would love to rent on property so that we can save the money, but I am unsure how we would get to the resort.

Has anyone went and not rented a car? How did you get to the resort, and how much did it cost.

Any help would be appreciated, we are scheduled to go Jan 22.

Ok, I haven't been to Aulani, but I was just listening to the DIS podcast where they were talking about Aulani. Because they are not DVC and would incur the per day paking charge, they suggested renting a car at the resort for the day and turning it back in at night. Would it be any cheaper to rent a car for the drive from the airport, turn it in, and have a no-car day or 2 during the stay? Maybe more hassle than it is worth, but just a thought.

When we went, I rented from Alamo. I typically rent from them (they seem to be cheaper than the others) so I signed up for their "insiders" club. For Sun-Sat rental for a compact it was $230, about the same price as Fri-Mon rental in Vegas 2 months earlier. I rented a compact, but ended up with a mid-size because they were out of compacts. Check out the "Hot Deals" on their website.

Also checked into a shuttle to/from the airport and renting the car at the resort. I don't remember the specifics, but it came out about the same.

Hello, I know that everyone suggests getting a rental, and I fully agree and plan to do so. However, I am trying to do this trip as cheap as possible (which is a task to begin with because Hawaii is so expensive. While looking for car rentals I am finding just over $300 for a week from HNL. If I were to rent to the Alamo in property it is over $100 cheaper. I would love to rent on property so that we can save the money, but I am unsure how we would get to the resort.

Has anyone went and not rented a car? How did you get to the resort, and how much did it cost.

Any help would be appreciated, we are scheduled to go Jan 22.

I just checked hotwire for you for Jan 22, for a week and a compact is $262 w/taxes, no LDW.

If you read the Transportation boards, ppl always post good codes. You really have to work for a good rental car rate (IMO). It took me hours to find a great rate for our Maui & HNL rentals for Christmas. Try different companies, and different codes. It's a PITA butyou'll save in the end.

I just checked hotwire for you for Jan 22, for a week and a compact is $262 w/taxes, no LDW.

If you read the Transportation boards, ppl always post good codes. You really have to work for a good rental car rate (IMO). It took me hours to find a great rate for our Maui & HNL rentals for Christmas. Try different companies, and different codes. It's a PITA butyou'll save in the end.

I completely agree, and I am the queen of searching every possible option haha. I have mastered Orlando, but Hawaii is a new venture for me :)

I ended up finding a car thru Alamo direct for $268 w/taxes, I think this may be the cheapest I will be able to find. I booked it and I will cancel, if I can find cheaper. If I were to rent direct from Aulani it would be $200 for the week including taxes.

I dont think we will be able to find a shuttle that is less than $30 pp RT so it looks like I will most likely be keeping the reservation that I made. I will definitley keep an eye on the transportation threads...I forgot all about them!

We will be going to Aulani on Jan 23 for 16 nights. We purchased the Entertainmet book for Hawaii which had car rental coupons. We were able to get a car rental from the airport for the entire trip for about $480. It seemed cheaper to me to rent the car from the airport rather than Aulani. Hope this helps.

So I will be going to Aulani for just 2 days. Hopping from another island. A 2 day plus a few extra hours cost about $170.00 for a car rental. Thats almost the same a a whole week! I don't think I will really need a car for just 2 days, but the taxi ride is around $70 each way. I am going crazy! Love some discount codes! Thanks:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter