• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Aulani - Rainbow Reef

Pixie_Dust

DIS Veteran
I was just looking at the Aulani website. It says you have to pay admission to rainbow reef, so I guess we can't just bring our own snorkle equipment and use it, is that right?

So, my question is, I would like to know from ppl who have gone, did you bring your own equipment and snorkle elsewhere? Were you glad you didn't just do the Aulani reef?

We brought our own gear and never used it. Our son bought the lenght of stay pass but only used the reef twice because it was too cold. There's not much to see in the lagoon and unless you plan on going somewhere else, like the North Shore, there's not much need for the gear.

My brother says the best snorkeling he had on Oahu was at Electric Beach, which is less than 10 minutes north of Aulani. We were going to bring our gear for that, anyway.

We will be there beginning of Sept, which should still be summer weather; I'm hoping it's not too cold. Should I bring my one-piece-bathing-suit-sized wet suit (worn with a tight t-shirt-like thing under it), or is a bathing suit warm enough?

We brought our own gear and never used it. Our son bought the lenght of stay pass but only used the reef twice because it was too cold. There's not much to see in the lagoon and unless you plan on going somewhere else, like the North Shore, there's not much need for the gear.

By lagoon, you mean somewhere else on Aulani property that is not Rainbow Reef, or are you saying there is not much to see at the reef (i.e., not worth paying for???

Also, qustion to anyone, I read in one of these threads about snorkel equipment, keeping the rainbow reef equipment at the reef but there is other equipment they let you use all day wherever you go? Can anyone elucidate, please? What are the options of where to go at Aulani, what is the equipment they will provide and where do we pick it up?

Thanks!

Rainbow reef is kept cold for the health of the fish. The ocean is much warmer. We bought the length of stay pass for my kids and DH. They used it quite a bit. My kids brought their own gear because they are very picky about their dry fit snorkel etc. The equipment at rainbow reef is free to use with admission in the reef pool and has to be returned there. You can rent other equipment from the shack by the beach.

My kids totally thought it was worth going to. My DH probably would have only done it once if it was just us, but he really enjoyed going with the kids and making a game out of looking for specific fish and hidden mickey.

We had the length of stay pass at Rainbow Reef and was able to check out snorkle gear from the beach shack to take with us to the north shore for the day (return to the beach shack before they closed for the day).

When PP mentioned the lagoon....they are referring to the beach right in front of Aulani.

Thanks everyone for the replies!

Rainbow reef is kept cold for the health of the fish. The ocean is much warmer. ... My kids brought their own gear because they are very picky about their dry fit snorkel etc. The equipment at rainbow reef is free to use with admission in the reef pool and has to be returned there. You can rent other equipment from the shack by the beach.

Happy that they are caring for the fish. I didn't mind the cold at Typhoon Lagoon's shark swim area in Florida - I guess it depends on how hot it is outside :) I can relate to wanting things to fit. Maybe we will bring our snorkels/masks but use their fins - we got ours b4 smaller ones became available; that's a lot to fit in the luggage!

We had the length of stay pass at Rainbow Reef and was able to check out snorkle gear from the beach shack to take with us to the north shore for the day (return to the beach shack before they closed for the day).

Check out, not rent as another poster said?

Sorry to repeat the question. We are trying to decide what is best for our visit. We want to do Rainbow Reef, whether it is cold or not, and we will be driving to other sites for snorkeling. We will probably pay for the length of stay pass at rainbow reef. Can we use that pass to check out equipment to take with us when we go other places? We know we have to leave the gear Rainbow Reef but I just wanted to clarify whether the pass will allow us to check out, for free(with the pass) gear that we can travel with. Basically, if we get the length of stay pass do we have to pay to rent gear at the beach shack to take with us around the island? We have been to Oahu several times but this is our first DVC stay at Aulani.

If you have a length of stay pass for Rainbow Reef, you are able to check out snorkel equipment at Makiki Joe's. The equipment must be returned by 5pm though.

My family of 6 all did a length of stay pass for Rainbow reef. It was amazing!!! My kids range from 8-18 at the time and it was perfect safe experience for all of us. It was cold but we loved we could go in for 20-30 mins multiple times a day every day! I was on the fence to put the $$ out and was so glad we did. One of my fav pics is my twins holding my hands and by DH stood outside reef at viewing window and took pic of us under water.

I don't recall but my kids were 8 and I recall smaller kids in there.

Thanks- mine will be 3 and 4.5 when we go. I am pretty confident my older one will be able to do it (swimming wise) as we are a year away and he easily swims 15+ yards "freestyle" right now. I don't know about my younger one- right now she can swim about 5 yards and can back float for quite a while, but she might not be strong enough in a year- time will tell. She is my more reluctant child anyway, so she might not even care!

Thanks- mine will be 3 and 4.5 when we go. I am pretty confident my older one will be able to do it (swimming wise) as we are a year away and he easily swims 15+ yards "freestyle" right now. I don't know about my younger one- right now she can swim about 5 yards and can back float for quite a while, but she might not be strong enough in a year- time will tell. She is my more reluctant child anyway, so she might not even care!

They have them wear inflatable vests so that might help ... I would imagine you would for sure need to go in with them... but 3 might be a bit young, it just depends on the child's swimming ability.

On the website they don't list an age limit.... just this info:

Aulani Website said:
Cost
Rainbow Reef admission includes a life vest and a mask and snorkel set. Pricing is as follows:
•One-Day Rental: $15 per adult (ages 10 and up); $10 per child (ages 9 and under)
•Length-of-Stay Rental: $20 per adult (ages 10 and up); $15 per child (ages 9 and under)

Hours of Operation
Rainbow Reef is open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. daily.

My 5 year old loved it and when she got tired she would just ride on her Dad's back and stick her eyes in and look at the fish through her mask and lift her head to breathe. She loved that!

If you have a length of stay pass for Rainbow Reef, you are able to check out snorkel equipment at Makiki Joe's. The equipment must be returned by 5pm though.

Do you know what happens if you don't make it back in time?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter