Aulani - late departure

DISFANSHAN

DIS Veteran
We are starting to look at flights for our August trip to Aulani. Unfortunately, all of the decent priced flights home are 8:30pm or later. What can we do all day either at the resort or nearby, after we check out, to occupy our time? Would rather not go swimming.
Thank you!

I think I read that there is some room at the resort you could use if your departure was late. It did not matter to us, so I just glanced at the announcement that was in our room.

We checked out and put our suitcases in our rental car and then spent the day at the pool. They have a room with a tv and bathrooms with shower and changing area. We watched a little tv and then walked around the resort. They have this swimsuit dryer and the suits weren't really all that wet so I just stuck them in a plastic bag in the outer part of the suitcase when we headed out.

We are going back in June and tickets are crazy. We are in Florida and I paid right at $1000 per ticket last year. However, for the past 3 months the cheapest I have found is $1200-$1300. Do you have any ticket suggestions? I need to keep airfare around $3000 for the 3 of us.

We checked out and put our suitcases in our rental car and then spent the day at the pool. They have a room with a tv and bathrooms with shower and changing area. We watched a little tv and then walked around the resort. They have this swimsuit dryer and the suits weren't really all that wet so I just stuck them in a plastic bag in the outer part of the suitcase when we headed out.

We are going back in June and tickets are crazy. We are in Florida and I paid right at $1000 per ticket last year. However, for the past 3 months the cheapest I have found is $1200-$1300. Do you have any ticket suggestions? I need to keep airfare around $3000 for the 3 of us.

Oh that's great! I wasn't aware they had those facilities. As far as airfare, I am getting anywhere between $1100-$1300, traveling from Newark, NJ. I'm going to keep checking but I'm not too optimistic that we will do much better. Good luck with your search, and thanks for the info!

Aloha Disfanshan,

As Amw1064 said there is a lounge to shower and clean up, I believe you may want to reserve a time slot to use it in advance. It is right next to the Pau Hana room or Community Hall as I recall. We didn't use it for any of our trips as we were headed to Maui from Aulani. You must be an east coaster for your flight to be a red-eye. For those of us in the eastern half of the U.S. mainland, flights leaving Hawaii for home are almost always evening flights.

Amw1064, I feel your pain. We are headed back to Maui next May and had to pay a good $200 -$300 per ticket more than we usually do. Lots of folks say the fares should drop as you get closer to your dates but I always find that a bit scary myself. But I think the main reason I don't like waiting is that we try to book coach and upgrade with miles and that's another whole ballgame! Have you signed up for www.beatofhawaii.com? It's a great site, no fee at all, and will keep you posted on airfare specials and happenings in Hawaii. Keep watching those airfares and keep the cookies cleared on your computer for the airlines sites you are checking the most. I'll say a prayer you find better fares to go back to your new home resort!! :flower3:

For a change we managed to get cheaper flights to HNL out of Toronto. Typically we fly out of the U.S. but the prices were $400-$500 more not including the exchange rate (which is awful right now). We paid $740 return and are direct going there and a stop at LAX coming home in February. I booked our room before I booked the flight and we booked the Friday night thinking we would fly home the Saturday but it was much cheaper to take a late flight home Friday - we kept the room anyway as there isn't much we can do with the few points we used for the studio!!

You are right on about flying out of Toronto BitsnBearsMom! There have been much better prices for about a year and I cannot believe what I am seeing for late Jan/Early Feb. For example, Jan 21st, 10 nights flying Delta and the price is 550 Canadian so that is about 470 American. If you live in a US/Can border town it is sooo worth it right now to drive the hour or two to Toronto. There are tons of hotels that do park/sleep/fly packages around 150/200 CND as well.

For a change we managed to get cheaper flights to HNL out of Toronto. Typically we fly out of the U.S. but the prices were $400-$500 more not including the exchange rate (which is awful right now). We paid $740 return and are direct going there and a stop at LAX coming home in February. I booked our room before I booked the flight and we booked the Friday night thinking we would fly home the Saturday but it was much cheaper to take a late flight home Friday - we kept the room anyway as there isn't much we can do with the few points we used for the studio!!

What airline is this on? We're in Buffalo and pricing out flights for next year as well, also finding about $1200pp round trip currently. Toronto is definitely an option for us, but one I wasn't considering much since the savings would need to be significant for us to go there.

Not to derail the thread, but I'd love to hear what airlines people have used to Aulani that they have been happy with. We have no loyalty, so honestly just looking for ones with the best amenities/comfort and pricing that's not too bad. Willing to pay a little more for the comfort, since we're coming from the east coast.

FWIW, there's two flights on our radar currently that leave HNL around 3pm (give or take) and change at either O'Hare or EWR. Wouldn't get us home until 9-10am the next morning, but seems to be pricing out ok right now.

What airline is this on? We're in Buffalo and pricing out flights for next year as well, also finding about $1200pp round trip currently. Toronto is definitely an option for us, but one I wasn't considering much since the savings would need to be significant for us to go there.

Not to derail the thread, but I'd love to hear what airlines people have used to Aulani that they have been happy with. We have no loyalty, so honestly just looking for ones with the best amenities/comfort and pricing that's not too bad. Willing to pay a little more for the comfort, since we're coming from the east coast.

FWIW, there's two flights on our radar currently that leave HNL around 3pm (give or take) and change at either O'Hare or EWR. Wouldn't get us home until 9-10am the next morning, but seems to be pricing out ok right now.

When are you looking at going? I have flown many different airlines to Hawaii, sometimes from Toronto, sometimes from Buffalo, a couple of times from California as part of a two place vacation (usually Disneyland). Honestly, the prices are some of the lowest I have ever seen out of Toronto and I really try to avoid Pearson (toronto) airport as it is so crowded and busy but hey, when the price is half of what it is out of Buffalo, I am going to suck it up and leave early. Last summer we paid about 730 CND round trip and friends of ours payed approx 650 CND a few weeks later. Other friends went to Maui in Jan for just under 600CND round trip. I think with the way the exchange is right now it is just a fabulous option for Americans who are close to Toronto

Last edited:
When are you looking at going? I have flown many different airlines to Hawaii, sometimes from Toronto, sometimes from Buffalo, a couple of times from California as part of a two place vacation (usually Disneyland). Honestly, the prices are some of the lowest I have ever seen out of Toronto and I really try to avoid Pearson (toronto) airport as it is so crowded and busy but hey, when the price is half of what it is out of Buffalo, I am going to suck it up and leave early. Last summer we paid about 730 CND round trip and friends of ours payed approx 650 CND a few weeks later. Other friends went to Maui in Jan for just under 600CND round trip. I think with the way the exchange is right now it is just a fabulous option for Americans who are close to Toronto

Wow those are some great fares! We're going 9/15/16-9/30/16, so our dates aren't quite out yet. I've been checking fares for late August and seeing about $1100 RT out of Toronto versus about $1250 RT out of Buffalo currently. How far in advance are you able to catch these fares?

We are taking six of us to Aulani in Mid June. Best nonstop fares are about 973 right now. We slways fly United. I get free luggage for up to four of us and that's up to three bags a person do it means free luggage for all. Plus we always do economy Plus. I get two free EP seats and pay for rest.

I just checked on the ITA Matrix and I see Air Canada has flights through most of September 2016 that are between 790 and 850 CND from Toronto to Honolulu. You are right that it is too early to book because I couldnt pull up any further info but if you keep checking it should be available in the next few weeks. With the exchange from Canadian to American you are looking at about 615 per person USD round trip

I checked Hotwire as well, adding only one hotel night (Hilton Hawaiian Village) just to see if they came up cheaper and they have a price for August 24-Sept 6 with the one night in the HHV hotel at 749/USD/per person round trip and that is flying on WestJet. They are a decent Canadian airline known for very good customer service but I know Hotwire allows you to choose your airline if you want to so if you wanted a American brand I am sure they will have it as well, it will just be more $$$

We are flying air canada there and us air coming home. Would have done air canada both ways but with only a 2 hr layover we would have had to do customs in Vancouver in that time and I felt it was too tight. So us air has us going through LAX. The exchange right now sure makes it more favourable for Americans flying from Toronto!!! And we got those prices in September for February - and we used our travel visa points so our 4 flights only ended up costing us $2000

Aloha Disfanshan,

As Amw1064 said there is a lounge to shower and clean up, I believe you may want to reserve a time slot to use it in advance. It is right next to the Pau Hana room or Community Hall as I recall. We didn't use it for any of our trips as we were headed to Maui from Aulani. You must be an east coaster for your flight to be a red-eye. For those of us in the eastern half of the U.S. mainland, flights leaving Hawaii for home are almost always evening flights.

Amw1064, I feel your pain. We are headed back to Maui next May and had to pay a good $200 -$300 per ticket more than we usually do. Lots of folks say the fares should drop as you get closer to your dates but I always find that a bit scary myself. But I think the main reason I don't like waiting is that we try to book coach and upgrade with miles and that's another whole ballgame! Have you signed up for www.beatofhawaii.com? It's a great site, no fee at all, and will keep you posted on airfare specials and happenings in Hawaii. Keep watching those airfares and keep the cookies cleared on your computer for the airlines sites you are checking the most. I'll say a prayer you find better fares to go back to your new home resort!! :flower3:

I have not signed up for this site but I certainly will. Thanks so much!

We just bought our tickets and I saved a few hundred per ticket going with different airlines for each way. I got on kayak and watched every day, several times a day until I knew the general patterns then bought at what I saw as the low.

My husband and I are going to Aulani in June also. We booked the direct flight on United out of Newark back in August. Got $880 per person. We grabbed it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter