Aulani - is it really that great

spiceycat

dvc-blt
My nephew is at Aulani and says it is beautiful and better than any of the WDW resorts.

well I love BLT - is it really that much better?

Yep.... its different in that there are no theme parks to have fun at but as far as resorts go Disney really outdid themselves on this one.

After being there I could not help but think that the Poly needs to get some major refreshing... Aulani was totally amazing.

It truly is! Disney out did themselves! There is no other Disney resort that even comes close! My dream is that they recreate it in Maui someday!

I just got back this morning and I will say that I compared the stay to HHI. I've been to both now and both have their uniqueness but both are very similar. The point about there are no theme parks is a good point. The food is much more expensive at the two sit-down restaurants where HHI doesn't have any sit-downs. I didn't do counter-service but they have similar counter-service to HHI. Their store had a lot to choose from as far as clothing and their food selection was not much different than any of the other resorts, I had a wrap one night for dinner and twice got fruit cups and they were high but not for Hawaii's prices.

The resort itself is gorgeous. I found it similar to AKL in the colors scheme and layout. The pool area I would say similar to Wilderness Lodge. There are more activities for kids and adults than at HHI, I think. And a lot more water with the beach area right there where at HHI you have to go to the beach house, which is down the street.

The room layout was similar to a lot of the rooms at the other resorts. I had a 1 bedroom and felt it was very similar to AKL.

I felt it was worth it. If you want a truly relaxing experience, that is the place to go. The pool area was noisy, the lounge area was noisy at night but there was music there nightly. It seemed like everything quieted down at 10 but everything was starting to bustle at 7am. I did a lot of island exploring and saw a lot. I feel it was very worth my week away. Would I go back, you bet. And this is coming from a person who never really ever wanted to go to Hawaii. I'm glad I did.

Yes, it really is that good! I rate it far higher than any of the WDW resorts both in amenities and service. We just love everything about it except the distance from home!;)

Yes, it really is that good! I rate it far higher than any of the WDW resorts both in amenities and service. We just love everything about it except the distance from home!;)

Yes we thought it was better than any Deluxe at WDW. Of course the pristine beach is a huge plus for our family. I felt it was Deluxe + quality and the service was on par with the cruise ships. We had very high expectations and they were blown away.

hate to fly - you make me want to go to Hawaii.

though my nephew was crazy - but guess he is right.:thumbsup2

thanks everyone!~|!||:worship:

I just got back this morning and I will say that I compared the stay to HHI. I've been to both now and both have their uniqueness but both are very similar. The point about there are no theme parks is a good point. The food is much more expensive at the two sit-down restaurants where HHI doesn't have any sit-downs. I didn't do counter-service but they have similar counter-service to HHI. Their store had a lot to choose from as far as clothing and their food selection was not much different than any of the other resorts, I had a wrap one night for dinner and twice got fruit cups and they were high but not for Hawaii's prices.

The resort itself is gorgeous. I found it similar to AKL in the colors scheme and layout. The pool area I would say similar to Wilderness Lodge. There are more activities for kids and adults than at HHI, I think. And a lot more water with the beach area right there where at HHI you have to go to the beach house, which is down the street.

The room layout was similar to a lot of the rooms at the other resorts. I had a 1 bedroom and felt it was very similar to AKL.

I felt it was worth it. If you want a truly relaxing experience, that is the place to go. The pool area was noisy, the lounge area was noisy at night but there was music there nightly. It seemed like everything quieted down at 10 but everything was starting to bustle at 7am. I did a lot of island exploring and saw a lot. I feel it was very worth my week away. Would I go back, you bet. And this is coming from a person who never really ever wanted to go to Hawaii. I'm glad I did.

HHI? Really? You're comparing Aulani to HHI? :scared: We went to HHI to save on points & park tix a couple of years ago & it was OK but I didn't think it was "all that". I had MUCH higher hopes for Aulani this summer. HHI is not calling us to return any time soon...Hawaii on the other hand...Hawaii calls me by name!

It is amazing. We just got back from a 10 day trip to Aulani and while we did do some island exploring, we really never wanted to leave the resort. They had so many free activities for the family that it really added a lot of value to the stay. I can honestly say this has been my most relaxing vacation with the friendliest cast members I have encountered.

Agree with everyone so far. Simply Amazing!! We went last June and not sure when we will return but definitely will some day!

HHI? Really? You're comparing Aulani to HHI? :scared: We went to HHI to save on points & park tix a couple of years ago & it was OK but I didn't think it was "all that". I had MUCH higher hopes for Aulani this summer. HHI is not calling us to return any time soon...Hawaii on the other hand...Hawaii calls me by name!

Annie I have to agree with you on this one... I cant imagine comparing the 2 resorts.... nor can I see where Aulani is similar to AKL. I think Cruise04 was just trying to give the OP as close an equivalent to resorts within their frame of reference. But Aulani is a completely different vibe than AKL or any other disney resort. Way more light and airy with the breeze flowing through the lobby. There really is no other Disney or other name resort quite like it in my opinion.

When DH and I sat out on the beach looking back at Aulani and the Marriot next door.... we could not help but think that Aulani just made the Marriot (which is a totally nice enough resort on its own) look kind of sad and pathetic. Aulani was just so majestic next to the others.

I was comparing HHI to the fact that it's not like being at WDW! And that it's quiet and relaxing. I actually LOVE HHI for the fact that it's a slow pace and quiet and relaxing.

As well as my reference to AKL, that was in regard to the look of the resort. When I pulled up I immediately thought it looked quaint like AKL and WL does - has a similar ambiance in the overhang and the way the pool area with the resort located near the pool is laid out - WL more than AKL.

It was purely a comparison. I never said either would replace or be better than Aulani. Also never thought I'd get scathed for making some comparisons. It certainly doesn't look like or feel like the Poly nor does it look like or feel like Grand Floridian or Old Key West. Geesh...I'll keep my comments to myself next time. As well - I was one to never want to go to Hawaii. It just didn't really appeal to me. I came back looking forward to going again! If that tells you anything.

I will say - I was a solo traveler. Most of the activities did not appeal to me at the resort so I did take advantage of my rental car and went out and explored the island. I loved the relaxing feel to it. Just as I do at HHI.

The attention to detail is at another whole level IMO. Detail on the doors within the villas. Wonderful lighting in the bathrooms. Screen doors! :thumbsup2 A electric water kettle for tea lovers. :cool1::cool1::cool1: Rice steamer. The lovely wooden molding....I think it may be called "Bed" molding? Wonderful sheets and a lovely duvet.

Love the lighting and patterns on the bottom of the pool. Constellations is my guess?

Although there are other open air lobbies in Hawaii which may be grander (Grand Wailea comes to mind) I haven't seen any as richly detailed. Not even close.

And the CMs are fanatstic. Full of the aloha spirit.

I was comparing HHI to the fact that it's not like being at WDW! And that it's quiet and relaxing. I actually LOVE HHI for the fact that it's a slow pace and quiet and relaxing.

As well as my reference to AKL, that was in regard to the look of the resort. When I pulled up I immediately thought it looked quaint like AKL and WL does - has a similar ambiance in the overhang and the way the pool area with the resort located near the pool is laid out - WL more than AKL.

It was purely a comparison. I never said either would replace or be better than Aulani. Also never thought I'd get scathed for making some comparisons. It certainly doesn't look like or feel like the Poly nor does it look like or feel like Grand Floridian or Old Key West. Geesh...I'll keep my comments to myself next time. As well - I was one to never want to go to Hawaii. It just didn't really appeal to me. I came back looking forward to going again! If that tells you anything.

I will say - I was a solo traveler. Most of the activities did not appeal to me at the resort so I did take advantage of my rental car and went out and explored the island. I loved the relaxing feel to it. Just as I do at HHI.

Oh, please don't stop sharing your opinions.:surfweb: I thought you were contrasting the stand alone resorts to the bustle of WDW DVC resorts. Sometimes followup comments sound harsher than meant.

Geesh...I'll keep my comments to myself next time. As well - I was one to never want to go to Hawaii. It just didn't really appeal to me. I came back looking forward to going again! If that tells you anything.

don't you dare - need your opinions & comments!!!

so why do you go to Hawaii? yes not wanting to go and coming back loving it - says a whole lot. thanks

mind will also be a solo traveler - so why did you not like the activities at the resort?

really considering it - but first have to allow my DB's IL to go. they have been great to him - so they are going in 2015 - so will probably go in 2017.

at the wedding they say they would love to go to Hawaii - but didn't think they could afford it - they have been helping my DB and their son - so if they were not helping others they could definitely afford it.

so sending them in 2015 - for their 60th anniversary!

It was purely a comparison. I never said either would replace or be better than Aulani. Also never thought I'd get scathed for making some comparisons.

And that is what I said... that I thought you were trying to get as close a comparison... please don't take it as scathing in any way. My comment wasnt meant to be that at all. In fact I mentioned what I thought you were trying to do:

I think Cruise04 was just trying to give the OP as close an equivalent to resorts within their frame of reference.

After looking at some more photos of Aulani's interiors I can see where you might compare it to AKL on some levels because of all the tribal art and prints, but when I stayed at AKL it just felt so different with the thatched roof and such.

don't you dare - need your opinions & comments!!!

so why do you go to Hawaii? yes not wanting to go and coming back loving it - says a whole lot. thanks

mind will also be a solo traveler - so why did you not like the activities at the resort?

really considering it - but first have to allow my DB's IL to go. they have been great to him - so they are going in 2015 - so will probably go in 2017.

at the wedding they say they would love to go to Hawaii - but didn't think they could afford it - they have been helping my DB and their son - so if they were not helping others they could definitely afford it.

so sending them in 2015 - for their 60th anniversary!

That is so good of you, Pat! :goodvibes 60th anniversary. Wow!

Alright, alright...calm down! Nobody said anything about keeping your comments to yourself!! I just for the LIFE OF ME couldn't imagine how it was that you could compare Aulani to HHI. I mean, to us, the resort at HHI was nice enough but it was just an east coast beach. Hawaii is a tropical paradise. This summer will be my 5th trip to Hawaii and I can't even think of anyplace in the Caribbean or Mexico that I could compare to Hawaii...let alone Hilton Head, SC. I have some pretty high expectations for Aulani...and they're higher than what I had for HH. Relax! I am going to ignore that you compared the two.:rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter