Aulani in a wheelchair

rickdeni

Mouseketeer
A year ago I booked a week cruise on the Pride of America and 6 nights at Aulani. Last week I fractured my ankle and tore ligaments. Surgery is scheduled to tomorrow and we leave June 27th. If anyone has experience either of these places is a wheelchair please advise of obstacles, etc. It is our 50th Anniversary and we are taking my son and family. Everyone says I should cancel but too much time and money has gone into this.

You need to call your travel agent and see if you can get a wheelchair accessible cabin. It is probably unlikely because they book fast but a wheelchair won't fit in a regular cabin door. If you have trip insurance it probably would be better to reschedule it.

I am aware that the door is 21 inches and the wheelchair is 21 1/2 inches. I intend to use a walker in the room.

I was just at Aulani last fall. If I remember correctly, they had ramps around the pool areas and down to the lagoon. I don't think you will have too much trouble there.

As a person who has just had her 6th surgery on her ankle this week, I will tell you that it will probably swell quite a bit on the plane ride. Take it easy, rest and elevate it when you can. The main problem on the cruise is going to be if you have to tender into a port. Basically, I've had to be lifted from the ship to the tender boat and then my wheelchair is put on.

I wouldn't change your trip, just be aware that you might not be able to do all that you had planned. But the scenery is awesome!

Thank you for the positive information..I know that the wheelchair takes you to the entrance of the plane but how do you get on if you can't put any weight on one ankle. Can I bring a walker on board?

Walker will probably be too big to fit down the isle. The airlines have a chair called an isle chair that is small enough to fit between the seats.

Most planes will have the Aisle Chair for you to board with. If you are bringing a walker and a wheelchair, you can gate check them, no charge. My mom has a walker that flips and can be used as a small wheelchair also, but she mostly uses her "seat" walker, which has a basket on it under a seat where she can sit down when she needs to. I have one of those too, but I usually just use my wheelchair and a cane if I need it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter