Aulani details - length, rent car or not, excursions

kiyahkid

Earning My Ears
Girls vacation to Aulani, I'm taking grandma (67) and daughter (10) was trying for June, waitlisted for studio, changed to April spring break, extending to 12 days (yes taking the kid out of school) For those who have traveled to the resort, did you rent or not rent a car - pro/con? Length of stay? Did you book excursion on DVC site or visit on your own (car/no car)

Feedback on anyone who stayed in Ocean View room. Wondering if I should save my points.

Thanks

I've been to Marriott Ko'Olina twice which is right next door to Disney's Aulani. Personally, I would take a car for the grocery shopping. Food near the resort is very expensive and we get tired of eating out every meal. So, I like to make sandwiches and breakfast meals and sometimes dinner. There is a Super Target and Costco near by. Within walking distance is a small supermarket that has a deli and fresh fruit and vegetables and snacks. We also like driving around the island as well. We like going to Lanikai beach on the other side of the island. I always visit the Dole Plantation they have the best dole whips better than Disneyland or WDW. I like to go to Waikiki and check out the shops. So unless you intend to spend your entire trip at the resort I'd definitely get a car. We do all of our activities on our own. Found it to be cheaper and plus you get to explore the area. For example, if you go to the Hanauma Bay for snorkel really early in the morning I recommend going to Cinnamon's for breakfast. Yummy pancakes like the strawberry ones. I think on a tour group you just go to the place and then, back to the resort so you miss out on the small things that Oahu has to offer. But sometimes it is easier leaving the driving up to someone else.

We're going in February and we weren't planning on renting a car, but then we got a deal on priceline for $224 for 8 days, taxes and fees all in. We couldn't turn that down, especially since we won't have to pay for parking. We'll likely just use it for transport to/from the airport and grocery shopping since we plan on just enjoying the resort, but now we'll have the option to do some sightseeing too. :cool1:

Haven't been to Aulani yet but have been to Hawaii several times. We always rent a car on the other islands but never rent a car if we're staying IN Waikiki....however Aulani is not IN Waikiki. I can't imagine staying way out there at Ko'Olina without a car. Cars are very expensive to rent in Hawaii but there is soooo much to see on your own. I would rent a car (and make sure it's got a big enough trunk to handle your luggage)!! We once tried to get by with a moderate size vehicle (3 of us) but couldn't get all the bags in & had to upgrade to something with a bigger trunk.:rolleyes:

I am leaning towards renting a car, this is a big trip for us to go around the island, while at WDW we never rent a car for the last 6 years of visiting but we have enough to do at the resorts/Downtown/parks, we are never at WDW for more than 7 days, I think I'd go stir crazy at a resort for 12! My mom heard it was costly for a car and gas but I don't mind the splurge plus I'd like to see the island on my terms and not be in a hurry to catch a ride.

I posted this suggestion in another thread - keep checking hotwire.com - the car prices flex daily, actually hourly - I've seen them as low as $11 for a car. I'm waiting closer to my travel date to book - last minute (within a few weeks) appears to be when they try to liquidate the cars at a much lower price.

We're going in February and we weren't planning on renting a car, but then we got a deal on priceline for $224 for 8 days, taxes and fees all in. We couldn't turn that down, especially since we won't have to pay for parking. We'll likely just use it for transport to/from the airport and grocery shopping since we plan on just enjoying the resort, but now we'll have the option to do some sightseeing too. :cool1:

pssst.. come on over to the Feb. 2012 thread

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2830696&highlight=aulani

Girls vacation to Aulani, I'm taking grandma (67) and daughter (10) was trying for June, waitlisted for studio, changed to April spring break, extending to 12 days (yes taking the kid out of school) For those who have traveled to the resort, did you rent or not rent a car - pro/con? Length of stay? Did you book excursion on DVC site or visit on your own (car/no car)

Feedback on anyone who stayed in Ocean View room. Wondering if I should save my points.

Thanks
We did 8 nights, Ocean View 1BR unit, in Sept.
  • Length of stay: I think 12 days sounds great! Especially given the long haul travel you will have from CT.
  • Car: Yes, we got a car and yes, I'd recommend you get one, too. Ours was booked through Priceline, standard size, $187 for 8 days. As others said, it is essential for grocery runs. I think you'd also enjoy the freedom of touring on your own schedule. Assuming Grandma is a young 67 and doesn't require special assistance, you'll likely find Oahu to be fairly easy to navigate. Go explore!
  • Resort Excursions: We found them too pricey for our taste ... and very few had features we couldn't book or do on our own.
  • View: We were, initially, disappointed in our "ocean view." Our room was really a "Pool View" with the ocean visible on the horizon but not the sunset. For our next visit, we'll save points and book a Pool View instead.

Yes Rent a Car. See if where you work offers an corporate discounts on car rental. We are allowed to book personal rentals with that discount and we got a killer deal on our car rental for the week.

We had an Ocean View. 15th floor. Yes, because only phase 1 was open at the time the ocean was far away, but it was worth it in our opinion.

We did not book any of the excursions (too expensive) but because we had a car we could make up our own excursions.

Enjoy!!!!

Yep, agree with others: you'll want to rent a car. Ko'olina is a remote part of the island, and even though grocery prices here are scary, the price of eating at the resorts is even more frightening. 12 nights should be a wonderful stay. We're only going for a weekend since we already burned our paid time off this year on a DCL/DLR vacation, and its only a hop and a skip but I keep wishing we could add more nights to do the Starlit Hui, etc.

Btw, we're renting a car in downtown Honolulu, at a location right next to Ala Moana shopping center. It was $10/day weekend rate instead of the $90/day at the airport, and its a short, pretty inexpensive cab ride (though we'll be taking the bus/getting a ride with a friend to get to and from the airport since we have very little luggage). I think regular rates at HNL neighborhood locations generally run about $20-25/day with less fees (you still get tourism fee, but no airport fee), so even if you factor in the cab ride it can be substantially cheaper.

Thanks
Was there Oct... going back in Fed: RENT CAR... Took Pearl tour... traffic in Honolulu and Wakaki looks horrendis so will take excursion bus to Walkiki in Feb. Walk across the street to Ko Olina for Only Taco, BBQ, and grocery store with deli, food, alcohol, etc. Short drive to town for Kmart, Dennys, Outback, etc. Dole's plantion is a short drive and very inexpensive stop. Aulani has four excursion desks! Consider reservations and drive to the Polynesian Cultural Center for tour, dinner(go for the beef/shrimp), and show.

I've never been to Aulani but have been to Hawaii several times. We ALWAYS rent a car - even when staying in Waikiki. There is so much to explore and we like to be on our own timetable. I wouldn't bother paying for excursions. Get a guide book - Oahu Revealed is a great one - and a GPS and hit the road!

I've posted this before but here's a map of Aulani and the nearby town of Kapolei with common restaurants / shopping places indicated. Click the thumbnail pic to enlarge the map.

Car: nearly mandatory. I used Hotwire and got a minivan for $150/week from Alamo at the airport. Was $400 if booked directly through the agencies! Parking is easy and convenient. Tip: when u arrive, hit the valet and they'll stow your car for free while you check in and send luggage up. Then move your car to self parking.

Groceries: Target is one exit away from Aulani and has a full grocery section at great prices. You can get everything you need there including detergent, sand toys, meds, food, etc. That store knows lots of timeshare people stop in on their way "home".

Excursions: do on your own. You can always ask the desk what they think and book yourself. Do Pearl Harbor AND the USS Bowfin Submarine early in the AM (if you do on day 2, jet lag will help you here). Dole Plantation is fun and then hit Norh Shore. Easy drive with a gps. For first time, Poly Cult Center is neat. Waikiki and Diamond Head Crater hike are musts.

Food: expect resort prices. Eat at Roy's at the golf course - just as expensive as resort but better dinner.

View rooms: I was ther in Oct and booked an Ocean View room because it was our in-laws first time to HI. Great view! We are in our room a lot with little kids, so we loved to look out at the ocean from our balcony. Worth the points... Once. Next time, we'll book early and get a pool view room to save points. But not as many of those rooms exist.

Thanks

just got back from 7 day thanksgiving week, here's my thoughts...

If you want to look around, rent a car. I took my cousin with my dd and I and rented a car so we could take her around being her first trip, but next time we go we won't rent a car as we've been to hawaii enough. Plus the resort has a car rental on site so I can get a day if needed.
I did not book dvc excursion..way too expensive. Many places are free so you are just overpaying for someone to drive you.

I teetered back and forth on view/non view and ended up changing to 1bed no view and was very happy! It was quiet on the porch at night and still nice views even though it was of the valet parking lot/ballroom area. :rotfl2: My friends had a two bedroom OV and their main view was of the mariott in front of them. If I were you I'd move up to a 1bed w/no view instead of a studio w/view. Studio does NOT have a full kitchen.

While there I noticed a 1 bed poolside view on the 1st floor that I would rent next time. The slider went out to your poolside patio and direct walk to the pool/beach area.

Good Luck and Have fun!

While there I noticed a 1 bed poolside view on the 1st floor that I would rent next time. The slider went out to your poolside patio and direct walk to the pool/beach area.
Oooh that sounds nice. I tried to book an island or pool view, but we dithered too long on deciding whether or not we wanted to take the trip so by the time I got the points rental arranged they had just sold out of pool view studios and only had ocean view left.:sad2:
I wonder if I could ask for a downgrade to a pool studio on the first floor so we could walk from our patio to the pool. I can see the ocean any day from our driveway, would much rather have the easy access to the slides, etc ....
Odd since usually I want a high floor at the park resorts to better see the parks!

Anyone have recommendations? I'm considering Paradise Cove or Germaine's. Also looks like Polynesian Cultural Center has some kind of show...Thanks for the help!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter